• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Telus just charged me $3 for 0.055 MB of data usage!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I just opened this month's phone bill and noticed a 3 dollar charge on it for using 0.055 MB of data, WTF!!!

I don't use data on my phone or have a data plan and never have, and I have been with telus since it was formed as a company. And those rates! $3 for what amounts to 57kb of data is absolutely astronomical. I am going to try and get the charge removed from my bill, but I have a feeling that they can charge Canadians whatever the hell they want, whenever they want to.

With Canadian mobile connectivity prices being the highest in the world, I shouldn't be surprised, but why isn't the government doing anything to smash this telecom oligopoly to bits? Isn't it already limiting our economy's ability to compete in a connected world?

Are the Canadian telecom companies now beyond reach of the law? Are they too big to fail?

When will their death grip on Canada stop?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
They removed the charge but still... What recourse do Canadians have to bring our mobile phone charges in line with the rest of the world, or less expensive than the rest of the world.

Obviously the government isn't doing anything about it. Is there anything we can do? A class action suit? Something?

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
appreciate the fact that you live in one of the safest best countries on the planet, have the luxury of multiple cellular providers, freedom of speech and ability to choose from established monopolies.

We have 36 million people, to reduce costs we need to have like 100 Million people, the buying power like with drug dealers gets better with the MOAR you get.

Except in a bunch of other countries i cant name, and contradicts what i just said.

Im now just rambling as its the most accurate response to outrage over shit everyone already knows, and i digress, this is really fucking low on IMPORTANT SHIT CANADA NEEDS TO DO List.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
They removed the charge but still... What recourse do Canadians have to bring our mobile phone charges in line with the rest of the world, or less expensive than the rest of the world.

Obviously the government isn't doing anything about it. Is there anything we can do? A class action suit? Something?
What do you think that would do to our economy?

praktik

TRIBE Member
We could all have lower bills if we just bought our phones outright, like they do in Europe.

Its cause we get the free phones or the highly discounted ones that put us on contracts and higher monthly rates which recoup the initial outlay of giving you that free/cheap phone.

Look at the bring your own phone plans on Virgin and others. Very reasonable.

If you don't have data in your plan you're gonna be paying super high rates for accidental usage, super important to keep your data turned off if you haven't paid for it! Modern smartphones will reach out to the network all the time.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
We have 36 million people, to reduce costs we need to have like 100 Million people, the buying power like with drug dealers gets better with the MOAR you get.
You assume the oligopoly would reduce prices if the population suddenly doubled. My feeling is that they would just pay their CEO's more.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Wait a minute, you don't have a data plan? You use your phone to actually talk to people?!?!?

No wonder Tribe doesn't work on mobile browsers :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

blaze_604

TRIBE Member
appreciate the fact that you live in one of the safest best countries on the planet, have the luxury of multiple cellular providers, freedom of speech and ability to choose from established monopolies.

Except in a bunch of other countries i cant name, and contradicts what i just said.

Im now just rambling as its the most accurate response to outrage over shit everyone already knows, and i digress, this is really fucking low on IMPORTANT SHIT CANADA NEEDS TO DO List.
also you live in a very large country with a small population. lots of overhead stringing up a national network that spans coast to coast. i suspect a lot of the costs go to subsidizing small farm communities with one tower servicing a small amount of people.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
also you live in a very large country with a small population. lots of overhead stringing up a national network that spans coast to coast. i suspect a lot of the costs go to subsidizing small farm communities with one tower servicing a small amount of people.
That is what the telecom PR will tell you, but I suspect deploying towers in scorching deserts , jungles and disease infested swamps in third world countries for handfuls of inhabitants is even more expensive, yet somehow their mobile service is much less expensive than ours.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I suspect deploying towers in scorching deserts , jungles and disease infested swamps in third world countries for handfuls of inhabitants is even more expensive
All you need there is a donkey and a guy willing to earn 2 bucks. Here you need a 150K truck and a 100k/yr guy to drive it.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
That is what the telecom PR will tell you, but I suspect deploying towers in scorching deserts , jungles and disease infested swamps in third world countries for handfuls of inhabitants is even more expensive, yet somehow their mobile service is much less expensive than ours.
Don't forget they sometimes have to deal with hostile natives. But the CAD telecoms also had to deal with developing changing infrastructure over a hundred years - much of which was NOT over the air - then implementing the over the air, with differing capabilities, and also adhere to regulation that is likely more stringent than in Africa.

Don't you know dealing with Canadian government as a vendor is a major PITA I'm not surprised there's a surcharge for that on your bill.

And then your workforce costs CAD, pensions, partners, etc. instead of SAR.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories