• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Tell your best Berghain story

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
"This one time at Berghain, I saw a shirtless Shia LeBouef and Nick Nolte eating Burger King in the back seat of a burnt-out 1972 Skoda."

I can only assume the Berghain owners and regulars really dislike this article in the magazine called Rolling Stones. I've never been, always wanted to go to Berlin but haven't been able to get there yet.

I am sure a lot of Tribers have. Should I go before the "Clubsterben" sets in?

Berghain: The Secretive, Sex-Fueled World of Techno's Coolest Club | Music News | Rolling Stone

The Truth

TRIBE Member
Was in Berlin in July 2006 for a for the Love Parade, so I had to also do it...it was a Sat night and got there about 2am after checking out another club earlier...the queue was already quite long and I waited about a couple hours before finally getting to the door..

I don't recall the doorman with the tattooed face was there..was seeing some people turned away so I was getting nervous...I was by myself and was dressed in black...whoever was at the door, thought I was acceptable enough to get in so I was stoked:D

The place was huge and industrial/warehouse-like..and the sound in the main room was amazing..the techno was banging but I was so exhausted from being at the Parade earlier in the day that I could hardly dance...can't remember who the dj was at the time but Aril Brikha did a live set after...

Wandered around for a bit and checked out the Panorama Bar which was cool and when I came down the stairs, I almost made a wrong turn into one of the "dark rooms":O

Stayed for a few hours but wanted to stay longer, but I was exhausted and had to leave early to get a few hours sleep before flying back out that day...glad I got to experience it:cool:

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I walked by it last year on a Sunday morning on our way to see the graffiti on the old Berlin Wall. We had no intention of trying to get in to the club, for some reason when my GF and I go on vacation we suddenly become morning people and we don't do clubs.

I do know that after moving to Berlin it took Hali (from BOK) getting himself on the guestlist of one of the DJs playing there before they allowed him in to the club.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
The links online about the various tactics and guides and suggestions to just getting IN to Berghain and getting accepted by the door staff is pretty interesting to read.

I never imagined a club would be so strategic to get into, but when you get a "best club in the World" rep, I guess that might be part of it.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Went to the washroom Sunday in End of July 2010, about four in the afternoon. There was a nude guy in the piss trough who was into randoms urinating on him. It was Uber, so I did his feet.

DJ Harvey killed it as well while we were there.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

videotronic

TRIBE Member
Went to the washroom Sunday in End of July 2010, about four in the afternoon. There was a nude guy in the piss trough who was into randoms urinating on him. It was Uber, so I did his feet.
you could have posted this in a comfort zone thread and i wouldn't have batted an eye

zoo

TRIBE Member
I went to Berghain for this event:

It lived up to the reputation it had back in 2005. Shirtless bodies, gays, chic/hipster women, scenesters and djs and producers, music tourists, dark hallways and cubbys, sex in open spots as well as hidden corners, strange bathrooms, drugs and needles, no camera policy, and Laurent Garnier leading the charge. It was packed, but not uncomfortably, and I recall that they were denying as many people as they let in. The groups before and after ours were not invited into the club.

I'm glad I experienced it, but have never felt the need to go back.

Outside the club, around 6am

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
these days i cant stand being in a club for more than 30 minutes but i went there on the 28 of december. and it was a spiritual experience i won't soon forget. i'm not exaggerating.

i couldnt tell who was foreign and who wasn't. i've been told since that it's better in the winter months because there are fewer tourists there.

it is mecca for techno and house heads. i don't think it's going anywhere any time soon. they were turning away at least 40% of the people in line so i think they're really making an effort to keep out the type of people who don't fit the demographic they want in there. it's quite an arbitrary and subjective selection process. although if you're a woman in heels or in a gaggle of women it's pretty much 0% chance you'll get in. large groups of straight looking men were also getting turned away. couples, gays, solo people? no problem. for people who travel all the way there and get turned away, they're going to report a shitty experience to their crew of people.

the other clubs in berlin are a very distant second to berghain. i went to weekend and watergate as well (on different nights) and the crowds were night and day different. way younger people at both weekend and watergate. mostly in their early 20s. at berghain most people were over 30 and older with a smattering of young pups here and there. imagine the difference between the crowd at the guvernment vs the crowd at sona or industry. more gays mixed with straights make for a much better party environment as far as i'm concerned.

and the bar is open the whole fucking time! amazing.

;)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alison87

TRIBE Member
I still haven't made it to the Berghain, but i think you missed out by going to Watergate and Weekend and expecting the same sort of eclectic party experience. For me the experience you are describing sounds a lot more like my times at KaterHolzig (RIP), for example. Sisyphos is also like entering a whole nother world, as is my personal favorite right now - the Rummels Bucht. Ritter Butzke can also get pretty wacky on some weekends, though the crowd is a bit younger. Weekend and Watergate do book great acts, but they aren't "right through to Monday afternoon" clubs - they're catering to a crowd who just heads out for the big night and that's it. Other clubs i have yet to visit but are more in the "keep going till whenever" vein are Golden Gate and Salon zur wilde Renate, maybe Chalet, Club der Visionaire/Hoppetosse, Tresor... Plus there are the once-offs - Bachstelzen threw a fucking KILLER rave here in the old Stasi building a few weeks ago. And then MIKZ, Suicide Circus, Rosi's, KitKat, Arena, Stattbad, ://about blank, M-Bia, Lichtpark, i mean the list just goes on and on. They all have different crowds and different musical line-ups, but they all stay open later than any licensed club in North America, they all allow smoking inside, they all have cheap beer and bathrooms full of people fucking and getting high... I mean, if you like dancing, fucking, or getting wasted, Berlin is a freakin buffet. For me it's all about the former, and i love that i can show up to a club after breakfast on Sunday, dance through till dinner, and still share a packed floor. The only club in Toronto that comes even remotely close to the same experience is Comfort Zone. Just imagine it with no security, smoking inside and lots of alcohol.

The one thing that makes Berghain stand out to me, is that it is the only nightclub my non-techno-loving colleagues have heard of and/or have visited. Whatever else it might be, it is hands-down THE place to go for locals who just want to have a "big night out". And that's not a bad thing. At most of the clubs here i've met people of all ages, nationalities and persuasions who don't have the slightest idea about electronic music, but they are still having the time of their lives. I actually find i have much more fun partying with a bunch of people who just want to party, even if they wouldn't know a 909 if it hit them in the face. My experience in other countries is that a lot of the crowd are "heads" who spend half the time trainspotting or waiting for their favorite track to come on instead of just letting go, and while that doesn't hamper my own enjoyment, it can make parties feel a bit more like a show than a party, which gives the whole thing a slightly different vibe.

HaliBubba

TRIBE Promoter
I do know that after moving to Berlin it took Hali (from BOK) getting himself on the guestlist of one of the DJs playing there before they allowed him in to the club.
Actually, not really true, although, guestlist gets you line bypass which also bypasses the door selection, so it's always great to get on if you can.

I've actually only been denied twice and that was back in 2012. And both times I was stupid and was with big, loud, groups. Since I've learnt my lesson and never go to the door with more than 3 people. I've gotten to know a few of the door guys so it's ok for me. It probably helps that I'm a familar face, that we actually threw a Box of Kittens party in the Berghain complex last year too.

I do have some pretty great Berghain stories. ...but, nothing I wanna share with you lot though. ;-)

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Actually, not really true, although, guestlist gets you line bypass which also bypasses the door selection, so it's always great to get on if you can.

I've actually only been denied twice and that was back in 2012. And both times I was stupid and was with big, loud, groups. Since I've learnt my lesson and never go to the door with more than 3 people. I've gotten to know a few of the door guys so it's ok for me. It probably helps that I'm a familar face, that we actually threw a Box of Kittens party in the Berghain complex last year too.

I do have some pretty great Berghain stories. ...but, nothing I wanna share with you lot though. ;-)
Well fine then.

I still like my version of your story better. hahaha. :)

Maui

TRIBE Member
Also, i concur with MoFo. And i'm not even into dick. So you see the sort of culture there is at clubs here.
Sorry, I'm confused. There is a culture of big dicked guys at the clubs in Germany? What kind of effect does that have on the party itself?

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
Showed up Sunday morning with a friend, got turned away. The bouncer did seem to think about it though. He asked me to take off my sunglasses - I think I looked too sober! In the end, we decided we must not have been wearing enough black clothes. My friend had been twice before, so it's probably my fault. ;-)

The worst part is, the dude we were staying with was like "I could have gotten you on guestlist". Thanks a lot, friend.

Then we ended up spending the afternoon at Club Der Visionaere, which was certainly entertaining. I'm still bitter that I didn't get in though.