• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Tell me how to make good pizza dough.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
So my go to place to buy uncooked pizzas has become exorbitantly expensive and I am thinking of making my own pizzas from scratch. How hard is it to make good pizza dough? Have any of you ever done it and can you offer me some tips or dough recipes? I don't have any fancy kneading machines or anything down here either so I would be doing it by hand.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
So my go to place to buy uncooked pizzas has become exorbitantly expensive and I am thinking of making my own pizzas from scratch. How hard is it to make good pizza dough? Have any of you ever done it and can you offer me some tips or dough recipes? I don't have any fancy kneading machines or anything down here either so I would be doing it by hand.
You dont need any fancy kneading machines. You can even use a food processor.

This recipe here is in fact one of the best, and quickest pizza doughs. If I don't have time for this - i'll buy a bag of whole wheat dough from My Market Bakery in Kensington. It's $1.00 - and as good as anything you'll make at home.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Ha! I don't even have a food processor down here! I have hands though.... Old school!

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
Get good flower. Type OO

and make sure to let is rise when done kneading and again after you roll it out.

Add freshly chopped herbs to the dough as well.

*SiLver*RoBoT*

TRIBE Member
I always use the machine. I know with hand dough, you have to create a well, but it never works for me :p

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

assassaint

TRIBE Member
make sure you're using active dry yeast. dont use vegetable oil or any kinds of shortenings, if you can find some pork lard, melt it and add it to your mix. once youre done mixing your dough dont leave it outside to rise, stick it in the warmest part of your friedge and leave it there for at least 2 days (temp should be between 33-38, if its warmer keep it there only one day). make sure you form the balls of desired size before cooling it down, dong keep everything inside and cut pieces.

oh and make sure your dough is proofed at least a few hours before using (dough ball is doubled its size, temp is around 60)

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
My friend said she uses 1/3 cake flour. I didn't know there's a special type of flour just for cakes.

I don't bake so take that with a grain of salt lol

Persephone

TRIBE Member
Get good flower. Type OO

and make sure to let is rise when done kneading and again after you roll it out.

Add freshly chopped herbs to the dough as well.

re: rising, this really depends on the type of crust that you prefer. If you're a thin crust lover, don't do the second rising after spreading/kneading your dough into the pan. If you like a thicker crust (the kind that gets crispy on the outside but is soft on the inside) then the second rising is key.

I always used unbleached all purpose white flour and have had success.

Once I've kneaded the dough, I like to coat the surface of the dough ball with olive oil. This keeps the surface from getting really dry and cracking while the dough raises. I also like to cover the surface of the bowl with a damp towel while rising to keep the dough from getting dry.

Here's a roasted red pepper and goat cheese pizza I made with 2 risings, so not a thin crust pizza.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
dont use vegetable oil or any kinds of shortenings, if you can find some pork lard, melt it and add it to your mix.
So to summarize, you shouldn't add shortening, then add some shortening. I like to put my dough at the top of the bowl and let it rise down

assassaint

TRIBE Member
So to summarize, you shouldn't add shortening, then add some shortening. I like to put my dough at the top of the bowl and let it rise down
lol sorry. i meant liquid shortening that ive seen some stores use for their dough.

wow, this is gonna be a long day if it started out so dumb

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
I find the biggest challenge with pizza dough isn’t the composing the dough bit (can you really screw that up? If it’s too wet, add some flour. Keep at it and it eventually forms a ball) but it’s the making a properly shaped crust. It once dawned on me to try using gravity and trying the pulling/stretching/flinging method and finally I was able to get a crust that didn’t look like I stretched it with my feet. Persephone, yours looks spectacular. How’d you do that? Do you rolling pin that or hand stretch? Is rolling pin action for retards?

My tip – use very warm water. Same tip for pierogi dough. Not hot. But very warm. Makes the kneading super smooth and easy.

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
You can freeze the extra dough you have as well... Someone memtioned it is best to proof the dough in the fridge for 2-3 days before rolling... If you have a scale use that to measure your ingredients... It should take 10-12 mins to knead by hand...

Ingredients

flour
water
salt
yeast
sugar or honey
olive oil

There was a time I wiuld make pizza every friday I have arecipe but I am on my phone... Grilled on the BBQ is good... Crank your bbq on high turn one half of tje grill off place pizza on iff sude and rotate pizza over hot side ... Pay attention or it will burn...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
Bread yeast is fine... Buy a jar and keep in the fridge... Couple of tips....

Put the flour on your counter make a volcano

Hollow the centre to pour your warm water with dissolved yeast and sugar or honey

Add salt aand olive oil

Take a fork and start incorporating the flour by cutting athe bottom of your pool like the ocean sand cutting the beach

Eventually the mix will thicken then you get in with your hand..

There are some good vids on you tube... If you go the oven route just crank you oven on high bake to cook the hotter the better... Since you have a yard you could buil your own oven with little cost I know I would...

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
I have a feeling this is going to be considered sacrilegious or something, but I just use Pillsbury Pizza Dough.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
How much dough do you knead? (haha pun)

When I was a teenager I worked in an industrial place that turned out fair dough (haha another pun!)

Several pounds of flour, say, 25 or 45, one litre of vegetable oil, and a packet of yeast. Mix well. Separate into 12oz balls, put into a freezer overnight. You probably don't need this much pizza dough.

In Tanzania I was forced to make my own ketchup. I would make a weekend out of tortellinis.

Buy some flour, dump it on a table. Make a hollow and pour an egg into it.
Mash it up somehow. Read a chapter of a book. Become depressed, more than you can imagine. Return to the dough. flatten it.

-jM
A&D