1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Tell me about Edmonton

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by swilly, Aug 26, 2010.

1. swilly

swilly TRIBE Member

So I might have a pretty sweet job set up in Edmonton but well it is Edmonton. I spent 4 months in Calgary and outside of hanging out with norm and the trips to canmore I did not like it at all. The layout of the city was horrible and it was a horrible place to be pedestrian. Taking the C-train took forever and it pretty much went nowhere.

Trans-ams and pick up trucks everywhere and well…I am going to stop.

Someone told me that Edmonton is worse.

So any feedback would be good.
    Do people still use tribe? Or is everyone on facebook and twitter etc… these days and or married and have children and no longer posting.

Anyway

2. skin deep

skin deep TRIBE Member

I lived in Edmonton for over 20 years, it's probably the biggest farm town in the world, but has it's charm. Public transportation, from when I lived there, was useless. If you want to be a pedestrian, be prepared to walk for hours and hours and end up nowhere. There's a lot of golf courses in the city which is cool, the parks are amazing (seriously absolutely amazing), people are generally ok. The one thing that sticks out the most from my last visit was the number of cops everywhere.

That's my most general outline possible, there's a couple people on here who live there and can probably give you some updated information about murder rates and what kind of motorbikes and trucks are most "in".

3. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

I can tell you economic facts and such regarding the city, but another fact thats interesting is the city sort of has a donut effect, not many people live in the core, and rather along the perperial edges.

4. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

hey swilly!

5. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

It's the birthplace of Crazy Sue and has a rather large mall.

It gets cold.

6. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

if you thought calgary was too sleepy, i wouldn't bother with edmonton.

what's a fake made-up person doing with a job, anyway?

7. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

I heard it's more calgary-ish than calgary.

I also heard it's great for drugs like meth and listerine. This I heard from someone who since started a church with a homeless person and subsequently was fired from schlumberger and fell of the face of the earth.

Also, this is in Edmonton:

SO basically, sounds like I'd like it. Minus the mall.

-jM
    A&D

8. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

probably a fake made up job.

I had a chance to move to Edmonton this year, and everyone told me it was nice, but really freaking cold in the winter. Worse than Manitoulin Island cold.

9. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

I was in Edmonton last year for a week long conference. It had some pretty parts. Downtown seemed rather dreary. People were generally nice that I came into contact with.

Went for dinner one night in [cannot remember the name of the "Fort" but it is a small village done up 1920s style], and it was really cool.

Don't think I would want to live there though. My Albertan and Ontarian-turned-Albertan friends all seem to claim that Calgary is (not much) better.

10. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Wow...you Ontario folks sure haven't been out West much have ya?

Edmonton is like any other Canadian city that isn't Van/T.O/Montreal.

It's a city like any other, has it's ups and downs....obviously isn't as large so it doesn't have everything Toronto does, but it's a decent place.

My brother lives there and I've visited a bunch of times, always able to find somewhere to go and something to do.

And heck no it's not as cold as everyone makes it out to be. It gets Chinooks like Calgary does. Sure it drops to -30 sometimes...but not nearly as bad or as long as we get it here in the good ol SK.

If you're looking for parties and the like, there are message boards and Facebook groups. Motion Notion is probably their most popular event, but it just happened last month.

11. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Thread summary:

Edmonton = meh

12. bitchass

bitchass TRIBE Member

Fubar is filmed/set in Calgary I heard Fubar2 was filmed in Edmonton, though.

13. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

Eclectic, that is the attitude every person from Ontario has about Alberta. I used to be the same until I moved here! I live in Edmonton, and I really like it. I don't frequent downtown or the night life so I can't comment on those aspects. The city has a river running through it and on both banks there is an elaborate system of trails that are great for recreation. I'm a runner and I cycle occasionally so this a big attraction for me. If you enjoy winter sports, the city is close to the mountains. There is a symphony, theater, lots of movie theaters, and loads of festivals during the summer to keep you from getting bored. It's also good to save the extra 8% on income, which on a 100k salary is 8k, that's pretty significant!

I definitely don't look at it as a place to settle down and buy a house, but moving here certainly changed my attitude about Edmonton and Alberta.

The winters are dreadful.

14. Casey

Casey TRIBE Member

Agreed.

But we don't get chinooks like Calgary does, as was mentioned by another poster. Winters are cold!

15. jeffpayne

jeffpayne TRIBE Member

I went there once.

I'm okay with never going back.

16. Rage

Rage TRIBE Member

Has it been released yet? If so, any good...would be hard to top the perfection that was the 1st movie.

17. danielablau

danielablau TRIBE Promoter

In university we munched on a bunch of zoomers, while running around the house like lunatics the phone rings, no idea why we answered, it was a call from my ex's bro's friend saying that his best friend had just been stabbed in the heart in Edmonton and he is now dead.........not a good trip.

18. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i had this playing as I read your post, and it worked quite well.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/th52BybQRm8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/th52BybQRm8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

19. Sleepy Giant

Sleepy Giant TRIBE Member

If access to mountains for skiing/snowboarding is a selling point, no way you'd ever choose Edmonton over Calgary.

It takes me just under 90 minutes to get from my house to the parking lot. To get from Edmonton to Marmot Basin is well over 4 hours, which is almost the same distance from Calgary if you take Icefields Parkway, which is not a good idea in winter.

The winters in both Calgary and Edmonton can be brutally cold. Like -30C plus windchill for a week at a time, it doesn't happen often but when it does, you get it for a few days.

As mentioned the downtowns of both cities are really nice with the river valley. Edmonton's is nicer, Calgary is working on updated/adding some trails to their network.

The Oilers suck.

20. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

if you didnt like calgary you are going to *hate* edmonton

21. pig-pen

pig-pen TRIBE Member

Pierre Elliot Trudeau on Edmonton:

It's not the end of the world.. but you can see it from here.

22. the_fornicator

the_fornicator TRIBE Member

I moved back to Edmonton 8 months ago. Born and raised. Lived in Munich for 3 years and now I'm back. It's OK. The roads are shit. Lots of rednecks and lots of trucks, but also lots of nice people. This is definitely one of those places where it is what you make of it as it doesn't have a TON to offer.

The weed's good and the night life is ho-hum -it's not uncommon to get in a bar fight on a Friday night.

With that said, I'm probably moving to Toronto in a month lol

p.s and the bums are fucking everywhere ever since the recession. Everybody and their dog came to Edmonton for a job. When the recession hit, they all kind of stayed... which is unfortunate.

23. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

in-breads and rednecks.

Jay

24. sheik rock

sheik rock TRIBE Member

People who fuck bread?

25. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

that's a little bit rye.