1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Television Rules the Nation

Discussion in 'Politics (deprecated)' started by atbell, May 1, 2010.

1. atbell

atbell TRIBE Member

Yup, very deliberate reference there.

Thanks to Daft Punk for this line of thinking.

I was out on my back deck for a smoke, I-pod in full swing, and trying not to rock out to hard to 'Television Rules the Nation'.

I'm thinking to myself all the while, 'Daft Punk, you guys are so right, television really does rule the nation'

Not all that innovative really, I bet anyone reading this has had almost the same revelation, possibly even fuled by a little extra creativity, as it were.

Then I begin thinking again, ... television rules the nation, television rules the nation tele...

not any more.

I think the internet is displacing the TV, finally. This is a positive development, the internet is not a pacifier, the internet doesn't try to protect users, and editors can't foist ideology on to an experienced group of internet users.

Experienced groups.

Just like the US isn't. Just like many parts of the world aren't.

I think we are seeing the 'internet revolution' unfold in front of us and I don't think it's going to be pretty.

When radio took over from print well, yeah, what, that was about 1910 - 1945?

TV from radio? The '60s. A bit less explosive but then the two media are similar and TV isn't portable.

Happy Saturday!

2. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

dude, check out Empire and Communications by Innis

3. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

Frosh week @ Concordia 1998 was Michael Franti, Gil Scott Heron, and Jello Biafra for free. Good times. Thanks for the flash back. I recall being so amped. They were all sick.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  4. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator TRIBE Member

These guys did it long before Daft Punk..

5. atbell

atbell TRIBE Member

Done and done, on the rather substantial reading list.

6. atbell

atbell TRIBE Member

So did these guys:

But it's not so much about who did it when, it's about the end of that rule, or at least the transistion.

I'm thinking that the Tea Party, and a number of other orginizations / movements that are similar are the early results of this transition. People who have been passive for decades are begining to connect with like minded people and are starting to organize. (organize before they rise?)

A defining feature seems to be an inability of early adaptors of 'the interent' to understand how to 'trust' what they find on line. A majority seem to simply take it all as truth.