• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Teksavvy

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
lol we got our first over-the-limit notice from teksavvy last month - their early warning system wasn't working so they gave everyone a free month. But yeah we went over 300gb. amazing. but then again my kids both watch netflix as do I, and downloading 58gb of warner brothers cartoons (as I did) doesn't help one's total either.

I'm not concerned. I planned for this when we quit Bell. I can absorb a fuckton of bandwidth costs before teksavvy comes anywhere near what bell charged us each month in addition for tv. I don't miss it.
I got my first notice in May too! Fuck that.

Too much netflix and hulu.

acheron

TRIBE Member
well we switched our SickBeard prefs to download TV episodes only during TekSavvy's free period (2am to 8am) ...so this month we got our 75% notice on May 30th. Phew.

Projekt2501

TRIBE Member
I'm thinking of switching ISPs soon. I'm with bell and I dunno if I'm getting throttled or if they just have terrible service in the Windsor area. I was thinking maybe TS, but then there was this.. Teksavvy Lawsuit

Am I the only one on here that downloads movies? Some stuff is just too hard to find any other way.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Teksavvy is the way to go, they won the lawsuit appeal i thought and have been awarded the right not to share their clients history of downloads.

using DSL, and its decent, not throttle that i can tell, regularly max out my speeds when downloading TV and Movies, games, etc.

the 2am-8am window helps a ton, so that if you schedule your downloads overnight they dont affect your 300gb total ( up and down )

as well the zap the cap, i think allows you to sign up for the times they state so i think 8pm to midnight was the zap the cap, so you can download stuff during peak times and its not applied to your overall limit, but i think you lose the overnight download slot. I have to read up on it more, or maybe Ballz can tell us about it.

Karim

TRIBE Member
Happy Teksavvy customer. Coupled with an encrypted VPN like PrivateInternetAccess set up on the router to mask all traffic, you never have to worry about teksavvy knowing what you are downloading.

lobo

TRIBE Member
I jumped on the Teksavvy bandwagon this month and I'm very pleased with the service so far. Got the 25/10 DSL package with 300GB of transfer per month. Service typically hits my limits with all my downloads so it doesn't appear that I'm throttle in any way. I don't think I'm too worried for now about overages but we'll see how this month goes. I'm trying to schedule my torrents to download between 2-8am since it's unlimited during those times. Also if you sign up for zap the cap then I believe you get converted to an unlimited plan so you can leach as much as you want. :)

BTW, I signed up for their IPv6 beta program and it's working flawlessly so far. No more need for setting up a tunnel with Hurricane Electric and I was still assigned a /56 for my LAN.

The only wrinkle in the pretty flawless experience so far has been that the modem I purchased from them came configured as a wifi router instead of the bridge mode that I had requested. I guess this helps in initial setup and stuff but it does take someone with a bit of tech saviness (hah hah) to reconfigure it as required. Working great with my pfsense firewall.

Lobo

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Just got an email from teksavvy saying they're increasing my internet by $5. That would be $10 (+27%) since I signed up in 2011.

lobo

TRIBE Member
Yeah I got the same email today and I'm fine with the $5 increase and now I've got 400GB so no need for the zap the cap for this household.

Lobo

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
I rarely go over 150GB, maybe I should look into downgrading my package. I am on 25Mbps down 2Mbps up right now and they have a 30 down 5up for cheaper.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Puzzled...150/10Mbps with 300 GB of usage at $86.95 will become 150/10Mbps with 400 GB of usage at $86.95. So I'm getting more for the same price? I'm ok with this.