1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Teksavvy

Discussion in 'Technology' started by g0nz0, Aug 30, 2011.

1. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin TRIBE Member

yup they are BS sometimes and I don't care if they Rogers is giving them a hard time

I have to buy a new modem to test things for them in order to be able to call Bell to come fix the line without being charged

my modem works fine damn assholes want me to spend money for nothing

2. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

Yeah , for the last month i have been having spotty service, Rogers lines are fucked and Teksavvy cant do anything about it.

i spoke to a rep last week, someone was supposed to come, rogers said fuck you and no showed.

So i basically refuse to use rogers cable internet lines at all so after hours on the phone, placed my order for highspeed DSL through teksavvy 15Mbps down and 1Mbps Up for 32.99 with a 5.00 dry loop DSL charge, and i still get my 300GB monthly allotment, and a ADSL 2+ Modem/Wireless N Router for $40.39 after tax so WAY cheaper than buying one through Teksavvy

still cheaper than my fucking cable and i wont be sharing, fucking aces.

im super annoyed with the reps that didnt record all the trouble shooting, but after doing some research, teksavvy is still easily the cheapest and best service.

FUCKING CANADA

sometimes you piss me off.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  3. glych t.anomaly

High Speed DSL is now MINE !

none MOAR SHARING.

fucking Rogers Cable lines can suck ma fuckin balls

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

4. StarvinMarvin

Hey Folks,

Upgrading service and need to buy a new modem for the quicker speed 45/10 anyone know which modem would be the best to buy out these that are compatible
    Motorola SB6120 - 1.0.6.1
    Motorola SB6121 - 1.0.6.1
    SMC D3GN-RES - 1.4.0.40-RES
    Thomson DCM 475 - STAC.02.16
    Technicolor DCM476 STAC.02.50 HW Ver 2.0
    Technicolor DCM476 STAC.02.50 HW Ver 2.1
    Huawei MT130U V100R001C01B071 HW Ver 1A

or should I just go with the one teksavvy offers??

Thanks

5. StarvinMarvin

internet surfing fail I should have been looking at DSL not cable

6. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

an hour and a half last night on the phone, got nowhere still have issues but hey a ticket is open YAY!
    they called me back today, don't understand why only to regurgitate what was said last night another 45 minutes wasted.

I'm getting close to leaving, I've never seen service like this from TS, for my trouble I got a $2.80 credit.

Never thought I'd go back to rogers, but it's being considered

7. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

Start.

Jay

8. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Is being on Bell's (slower) infrastructure really much better?

9. StarvinMarvin

I was on DSL and the line in my condo is absolute garbage, changing to cable to hopefully avoid disconnects and popping sounds when streaming weirdly enough

10. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

LOL Bell still oversubscribes from the DSLAM northbound.

11. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

12. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

I wonder what would happen if they sent someone a letter for downloading a copy of the movie and later purchasing the movie before the litigation was considered.

for example I downloaded a cam of DBC, it comes out on bluray and I purchase a legitimate copy prior to being notified of any pending legal action.

How successful could they be in getting anything in front of the courts? To me it's akin to previewing before purchase which is an age old concept that you could do at HMW listening stations with CD's back in the day prior to buying.

13. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Torrenting is a form of distribution. You're giving it away at the same time as you're grabbing it. So even if you do buy it, you've still allowed others to copy it from you.

14. CiG

CiG TRIBE Member

Wonder why only Teksavvy.

15. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Test case - I don't think this was the desired result. Canada simply isn't as lucrative a market for suing customers

16. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

The others gave up the names without a fight.

Jay

17. CrAZYREW

CrAZYREW New Member

I have been VERY happy with Tek Savvy.

You may pay a bit more up front, but you end up with a better service.

As of late, I have had some outages, but it seems to be related with when the Rogers truck is outside my building.

That being said I have a question for you all:
    If I plug my computer directly into my Modem, I get up to 45MB download, 4MB upload. But the second I use my router, my download is dropped to about 15MB. Usually this doesn't matter but I would LOVE to have that 30MB i'm losing.

I am currently using a Netgear router.

Any suggestions on a) how to improve that speed or b) a better router to use?

Cheers

18. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

We're with rogers, and it's a router/cable modem at the same time. It was flaky for a long while. They just replaced the infrastructure with optics I believe. It's just amazingly fast, and no issues with having to reboot the modem every once and again.

Sounds like a router problem. Does not teksavvy have a router/modem integrated option? Sound like that would be the best option if it's available.

19. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

check and see what oyure router is capable of, maybe you need a newer router

20. loopdokter

loopdokter TRIBE Promoter

Get an Asus router. They're the best personal use routers kicking around right now.

It sounds like your router has met it's maker (which happens).

21. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

Cisco ASR 9000.

22. glych t.anomaly

My gf just upgraded their Rogers interwebs to the new 5G Cable service.....

75-95mb down and 10 up.

but it STILL drops connectivity and times out, due to the amount of people near her using rogers cable, or some other shit, packet shaping, etc, WHO KNOWS !

i think im going to upgrade tot he HIGHSPEED DSL Teksavvy 25mb+ Down 10mb Up, just need to get a proper router/modem combo, or two units.

BUT , tis not a priority at this point when our current DSL accomodates what we need.

23. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

lol we got our first over-the-limit notice from teksavvy last month - their early warning system wasn't working so they gave everyone a free month. But yeah we went over 300gb. amazing. but then again my kids both watch netflix as do I, and downloading 58gb of warner brothers cartoons (as I did) doesn't help one's total either.

I'm not concerned. I planned for this when we quit Bell. I can absorb a fuckton of bandwidth costs before teksavvy comes anywhere near what bell charged us each month in addition for tv. I don't miss it.

24. glych t.anomaly

You could pay the extra and go with Unlimited, its only like 10-20$ more per month, if you find yourself nearing those overage charges.

:)

25. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

the difference in price between what we're paying now and the unlimited exceeds what we would have to pay in overages ... our usage will need to go up a fair deal before it makes sense to go unlimited.