1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Teksavvy

Discussion in 'Technology' started by g0nz0, Aug 30, 2011.

1. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

Is there a program to search those torrent sites for new episodes and download them automatically?

2. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

RSS feeds? Flexget (Linux, does work on Windows but a little more complicated) , Sickbeard I think does torrents as well.

Unrelated - Hola is awesome. Wish they had a way to configure devices like the Wii and what not.

Jay

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  3. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

Yeah it looks like sickebeard does just that. I'm going to give it a whirl.

4. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

oh and for quick fix for stuff you cant find on Netflix, Hulu etc.

Watch all tv series online for FREE

its not HD, but its one of the largest repositories of TV and movies for free i have found online anywhere.

you dont even need an account.

i usually find the sockshare, gorillavid, allmyvideos hosts to be the best from the shows i have watched.

5. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

There is also Coke and Popcorn . ch

Jay

6. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin TRIBE Member

Hey question for those a little savvy with this internet stuff, I have Teksavvy and when it is connected wired through my dlink router I get the normal 15dl speed but when i do a speedtest over the wireless connection I barely get 5dl...

what gives? any advise would be great!

7. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

do you get those same speeds on other computers connected wirelessly? do you get what you would say are higher speeds on your computer when you are somewhere other than home?

8. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Distance the router and signal strength effect your speed. Try it in various proximities.

9. loopdokter

loopdokter TRIBE Promoter

This. Also what band is your wireless router? That can effect speeds as well. If it's an older standard like Wireless G and your laptop is Wireless G, that can provide a bit of a slowed speed.

That said, if your router is reducing quality of service (QOS) that much, me thinks you may want to look into investing in a newer model that supports all of the latest and greatest bands.

10. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

Just signed up with Start Communications.. Throwing away Rogers was pretty painless. I called Rogers, got a disconnect date (10+ days and you don't have to pay transfer/setup fee) and 2 days I had my rental modem in the mail from Start. Unfortunately they don't have Unlimited (yet) for the higher speed packages, but 45/4 with 300 Gigs will do me just fine.

Come the 19th, I will find out if it was really such an easy transfer. Oh ya, I got a follow up call to make sure I got my modem.

Oh and hold time - 2 Mins to talk to a real person, and another 3 or so minutes to get setup.

They have a referral program ($25 credit) too.. I gave them my cousins name, and he already has seen the credit. So if anyone signs up, hook me up :)

Jay

11. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin TRIBE Member

I have a decent one that I picked up recently D-Link 655 N an I'm sitting in the same room as the router pretty close...

I'm looking into review of this one now but it just such a big difference I can't believe it

12. glych t.anomaly

45mbit down 4mbit up and 300GB monthly limit?

how much per month?

13. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

here's what TekSavvy will be offering when the switchover to new rates/speeds arrives:

"6/0.256 mbps (TPIA & ATPIA)
    25 Gigs - $24.95
    300 Gigs - $30.95
    Unlimited - $40.95

18/0.512 mbps (TPIA)
    300 Gigs - $39.95
    Unlimited - $54.95

25/2 mbps (ATPIA) - DOCSIS 3 modem required
    300 Gigs - $39.95
    Unlimited - $59.95

28/1 mbps (TPIA)
    300 Gigs - $46.95
    Unlimited - $61.95

35/3 mbps (ATPIA) - DOCSIS 3 modem required
    300 Gigs - $49.95
    Unlimited - $79.95

45/4 mbps (ATPIA) - DOCSIS 3 modem required
    300 Gigs - $54.95
    Unlimited - $99.95

150/10 mbps (ATPIA) - DOCSIS 3 modem required
    300 Gigs - $84.95
    Unlimited - $219.95

On plans that have usage caps - unlimited between 2am and 8am

TPIA = CRTC Legacy - Third Party Internet Agreement
    These rates are currently available until we migrate each area to ATPIA

ATPIA = CRTC Aggregated - Third Party Internet Agreement
    These rates will become available in various areas as we migrate from TPIA.

Specifically, 18 and 28 meg rates will be granfathered and no longer available once we migrate."

(from this thread on dslreports: [Cable] NEW RATES - Rogers - TekSavvy | DSLReports Forums )

14. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

I am currently on Cable 18, I guess I can switch to the faster 25/2 at the same price?

15. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

$59. It is $5 more than TS (who does not even have those speeds yet), but from what I have been reading (and experienced), the switch over is less painless and customer service is top notch. Not to mention no setup fee's and / or transfer fee's.

Jay

16. glych t.anomaly

59$ x 1.13 = 66.67/ mnth

im paying

45.14/mnth after tax for like speeds half as fast in D/L and like an 1/8 fast U/L

i just dont know if it will make that big a difference to me for the extra 20$/mnth.

once you have it can you do some torrent speed tests to see what your D/L speeds max out at?

i wouldnt mind knowing if its a full 4mb U/L as well. But when Teksavvy switches thats only 54.95/mnth x 1.13 = 62.09/mnth so i would still be saving 5$ /mnth is i stay with them.

17. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

I will def test the 4mb upload, I should be active on the 19th.

If you are already with TS, you might as well stay with them because they will be going to the same speeds soon. I was merely pointing out that the transfer process from Rogers was easy with no fee's.

Oh and I am going to call Start, because I am 90% positive they were advertising 350gig when I signed up.

:)

Jay

18. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

Sickbeard!

19. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

i switched to them in february. totally painless, and faster than advertised speeds.

very satisfied so far.

20. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

Hooked up the modem today, ran a speed test and everything is ok. Shortly after, i received ANOTHER follow up call to make sure my connection was working. Impressive to say the least.

Here is my time line..

-March 5th Called Robbers for disconnect date (10 business days to qualify for free transfer with Start).
    -March 5th Called Start with Robbers disconnect date. Payment for first month given.
    -March 7 I received my modem rental in the mail
    -March 7 Follow up Call to make sure modem rental was received
    -March 19 Service was active.

I just looked at their page, looks like they dropped the usage to 300 gigs (I am grandfathered at 350 Gigs), BUT they have unlimited usage between 2am and 8am. I may look in to this later.

Anyhow, just wanted to share my experience with Start. I really love their professionalism, and while it is a few bucks more than TS, I like that I did not have to pay all these up front fees.

Going test torrents now and see how I do with speeds, more notably the upload speeds with my 4Mb.

If anyone is interested in signing up use my account as a referral - That shit is $25 yo!! email me jay at one less hippy . com

Jay

21. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

Just grabbed the new Live 9 pack from IPTorrents.. fresh torrent, so I am getting good speeds. 5.2MB/sec down and 399kB/second upload.

No, I don't have or use Live 9, just using this torrent as a test.. calm down !!

Oh, usage meter is not yet working for my connection, they said possibly April.. SCORE! :)

Jay

22. glych t.anomaly

thats pretty sweet man

23. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

Apparently downtown (in some areas) has 50/10 :eek:

I am quite happy with 50/4 though.

Jay

24. glych t.anomaly

i cant wait for teksavvy to upgrade !

25. SolChild

SolChild TRIBE Promoter

I've been having some serious issues with Teksavvy lately, its ridiculous.
    Since Friday the 8th I've had no internet.

Teksavvy escalated to their vendor (Rogers) to reset my modem or whatever they need to do. The 12th they send me back an email saying its all fixed and I go home and tested it was not. I called Teksavvy again and told them it was not fixed, but in the meantime the network team closed the ticket. So we had to open a new ticket. Again a few days later I get an email saying it was fixed again and again it was not. Again I call Teksavvy (waiting for about 40 minutes each time) and again they had closed the ticket, so again now we are starting from the beginning with escalating to Rogers. I don't understand, there's nothing wrong with my modem, we tested everything including my cable integrity, signal, noise all that shit.....and still they can't reconnect to my modem.

I'm still waiting for my internet to be reconnected. I've had to use my cell data way more than usual and have had to take time off work because I could not work from home.

FML.