• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Teen Convicted Of Illegal Downloading

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7122133/

PHOENIX - An Arizona university student is believed to be the first person in the country to be convicted of a crime under state laws for illegally downloading music and movies from the Internet, prosecutors and activists say.

Under an agreement with prosecutors, Dhaliwal was sentenced last month to a three-month deferred jail sentence, three years of probation, 200 hours of community service and a $5,400 fine. The judge in the case also ordered him to take a copyright class at the University of Arizona, which he attends, and to avoid file-sharing computer programs.

Although Dhaliwal wasn't charged until he was 18, he was 17 when he committed the crime. Prosecutors charged him as an adult but kept it in state court to allow for a deferred sentence. Garza also said Dhaliwal had no prior criminal record.

The FBI found more than $50 million in music and movies on Dhaliwal's computer. The illegally copied property included movies that, at the time of the theft, were available only in theaters. They included "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," "Matrix Revolutions," "The Cat In The Hat," and "Mona Lisa Smile."

Ok, Mona Lisa Smile is enough for him to get the smackdown.....but 50 Million dollars worth of music/movies???

Jebus.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

defazman

TRIBE Member
yet you can be caught driving drunk and only have your liscense taken away for 24 hours.

makes me think of a L&O or CSI episode where some nerd made a high power guass loop around his door so if anyone removed his computer it would wipe the hard drive.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Eclectic
....but 50 Million dollars worth of music/movies???

Jebus.

That's streetvalue. Actual value of those movies is $1.99

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Cronic downloaders tend to 'download stuff for the sake of having stuff', he probably never even watched or listented to 90% of what he has.

I know 'back in the day' of my dial-up-warez-trading, I'd often download programs I had no need to use, just so I'd have them 'on hand' to trade with people who had stuff I wanted (which I didnt need, but wanted for the sake of having to trade in the off chance I came across something I actually wanted to use), and also to have stuff to upload to sites that enforced ratios.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Wow, between the one E-Donkey teenager here and the 3 people from some no-name courier group they busted I would say the authorities are really putting a dent in the piracy scence.
:rolleyes:

Wake up assholes, you can't stop it, you can't even begin to control it. The technology will evolve as you try and shut down sources. People will always want things for free/next to free, and are willing to invest time and money in ways to fuck the system.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Also, in that "$50million" quote, they are prob also including a "well, atleast N number of people have downloaded from it"

they like to totatly inflate the number/worth of stuff to make a good news story.

Yeah, like his having those files really translated to an actuall loss of $50mill to the entertainment industry

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by defazman
makes me think of a L&O or CSI episode where some nerd made a high power guass loop around his door so if anyone removed his computer it would wipe the hard drive.

Aren't you thinking of the movie 'swordfish'?

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by defazman
[B
makes me think of a L&O or CSI episode where some nerd made a high power guass loop around his door so if anyone removed his computer it would wipe the hard drive. [/B]

I know someone who had this type of setup back in the BBS days. Two giant electromagnets wired to 220v in his computer room. Just in case the RCMP came knockin'.