• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

techno what?

ladd

TRIBE Member
allright,
this topic has been bothering me for quite a bit now, and after reading alot of the reviews from sven and richie hawtins sets last night, i'm pretty annoyed.

what the fuck is this term PROGRESSIVE TECHNO!!!!?????

techno (to me) has allways been about patterns and rhythms that are layerd and looped and slow progressions (ie. slowly changing)

that IS what techno is, aside from all sub genres
i find it pretty annoying that people like to create this NEW style of techno called progressive techno! kind of implying that techno is trying to be like this other genre of music.
WHAT THE FUCK EVER, its fucking techno, its allways been techno, and it will allways BE techno!

some people didnt like the sets last night because they were to 'progressive' like.
WHATEVER YOU FUCKING TWATS
thats what techno is. (to me atleast!)

end of rant

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Buddy Holly

TRIBE Member
As long as there is things to complain about people WILL complain. It's in their nature. ......It was probably a wicked set and Im sad I didnt get to go.
:(

Nesta

TRIBE Member
i don't think some people know what the word 'techno' really means.

perhaps they expect the music to be hard and fast for it to be techno.

if a track is minimal, or breaky, or it has a small breakdown, or it's somewhat housey, peeps assume that it can't be techno.

techno has no boundaries.

i don't know...just my $0.02.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Nesta

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Nesta
i don't think some people know what the word 'techno' really means.

perhaps they expect the music to be hard and fast for it to be techno.

if a track is minimal, or breaky, or it has a small breakdown, or it's somewhat housey, peeps assume that it can't be techno.

techno has no boundaries.

i don't know...just my $0.02.

btw, i was blown away by richie last night.
some of the best music i have ever heard.

tEkKiD

TRIBE Promoter
i "seemed" to think you played "progressive" ahem.... BUNK.

only because i tuned into your slated show time and thats what i heard... " PROGRESSIVE BUNK" ... you werent on, thought we cleared up that issue?

i know what you play dude :)

ez,

sd.

ladd

TRIBE Member
i think i'm just more annoyed with the term "progressive"
alot of people seem to be pawning off techno as progressive when its not.

i thought progressive was for house and trance, meaning it looped alot and didnt mix up as much as house and trance does, but still carried the same elements.
which is fine, but now i hear alot of people calling techno tracks and djs / producers to be proggy, which is ridiculous especially since alot of these guys have been making techno / djing this style for many years, before this 'prog' style of music even existed.

i'm just sick of these trendy genres that people use to sound as if they know what their talking about.

end of rant 2

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Yeah, that surprised me too...progressive techno? Just because it wasn't dirty and bangin right from the start of his set? Techno sets have a flow to them, they can go a number of places - funky, latin, minimal, bangin, bumpin, groovy, mellow, housey....

Pretty ignorant to slap a progressive label on that kind of music just because it wasnt the crazy hard style you were expecting...

Nesta

TRIBE Member
the reality is that i sometimes listen to progressive that has a very techy edge and element to it. it's not raw like techno should be, and that's how i differentiate.

what do you guys think?

tekno princess

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ladd
just sick of these trendy genres that people use to sound as if they know what their talking about.

i'm inclined to agree...

i can understand using certain words to *describe* a sound, but i am always leery of defining it in terms of such narrow parameters....

....if what i hear seduces me to the point that i CANNOT stop moving (as it did with Richie the other night), then that's enough for me (regardless of the label people attach to it)

tekno princess

TRIBE Member
...and to some degree, isn't good techno somewhat "progressive" anyway?
i mean in the sense that takes talent to properly *build* a techno set...
...as such, isn't some form of progression an essential element of good programming?

...yet people seem throw the word around in a whole other context....

(perhaps i'm just being far too literal) :p

Arthur Oskan

TRIBE Member
i can understand using certain words to *describe* a sound, but i am always leery of defining it in terms of such narrow parameters....

so true Jen. I care not to define a sound by words. It's the track that should do most the talking....

But if I had to have an opinion....

What is progressive? Personally, I belive it's a defining character of one track that crosses genres with another. ie. Progressive House; house with trance elements maybe....Progressive Trance; trance with techno elements. I really don't know. And cause i don't DJ (but I do buy records from time to time), half the time when I'm at an event, I don't even know who or what is on a deck....(unless it a restructured record ;) ) The best way to listen to muisic, IMO.

Arthur

Tech_Head_Rob

TRIBE Member
both terms 'progressive' and 'techno' are both incredibly subjective terms. they mean different things for different people.

there was a thread about this awhile ago where i argued that yeah there is such a thing of progressive techno. and to an extent, i still agree with it. and its true, i usually use it to describe a track i don't like. nowadays the whole 'debate' about it gets a big 'whatever' from me. if i like it, i like it... and that's about it.

progressive techno for me is where its looped up like techno, but the dj plays it for 8 minutes and everybody's pumping their fists in the air going 'oi'. bwahahahaha.

ladd

TRIBE Member
My point is that techno has allways been about progression.
a progression of sounds, (slowly changing)
so when someone says progressive techno, that doesnt make sense.
because ALL techno is a progression of sounds, and many different variations of this.

If progressive techno is a slow progression of sounds, than what is techno?

thats what i would like to know!

ladd

TRIBE Member
i think people are just confused and unaware of the more minimal and ambient sounds of techno, so they call it progressive!

?

d.code

TRIBE Member
This is that language barrier problem thing again.
My friend says all electro is IDM.

eg:
'nice idm track'
'' dude this is electro ''
'same difference'

Im pretty sure DJING = Progressive
i mean no matter what- your progressing through records. Even if you scartch and cut and paste its progressive.

The meanings of words and how we made them up- :)

Cheers
Tyler

why not

TRIBE Member
i always thought progressive was just a term that people who are too ashamed to say trance use to describe things that sound like trance, but that they like.
progressive house = trance with fewer chord changes
progressive trance = trance with more distorted synths
progressive techno = techno with some chord progressions and breakdowns.
progressive breaks = trance with a breakbeat

pretty meaningless really.

ladd

TRIBE Member
i'm not going to get into the whole this is that and that is this business. (even if i allready have..)

final point being, there is no such thing as 'progressive techno'
its techno and thats it

Nesta

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ladd
i think people are just confused and unaware of the more minimal and ambient sounds of techno, so they call it progressive!

?

precisely. :)

are you still in nobleton?

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by why not

progressive techno = techno with some chord progressions and breakdowns.

wow and the whole time I thought I was just playing techno... oh well I guess I'll just have to go back to playing music instead...

darn..'
oddio

physix

TRIBE Member
About the Proggy Techno

Well, you have people like Simon Digby and Danny Vigoroto who are adding alot of 'soundscapes' to their works... I think the term 'progressive techno' (which I've also heard as prog-tek) refers to that style of techno where there's alot more synth washes and pads than the average techno song....

I guess it's so you don't run up in someone's set expect some Ben Simms when he's giving you Technasia.

-shrug-

I agree that the music catagorization is getting alittle out-of-hand... but there are certain styles of techno that I don' t like and would like a heads-up before paying money to buy it/hear it...

-physix

Last edited: