• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

techno room book club (was intrigued)

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by jen@mudshark
I've just finished reading Future Shock by Alvin Toffler.
I am now reading the wind - up bird chronicle.

:eek:

*jenn
oly Future Shock? I have all three of the books if you want to really get into it...say the word jen

jen@mudshark

TRIBE Member
ah ya !!! ....
i actually went back for the other 2 books, but they were nowhere to be seen !
i'd love to borrow your books.

:)

---
i'm at 619 queen - that's my home base / studio.
thanks so much !
*jenn

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by jen@mudshark
ah ya !!! ....
i actually went back for the other 2 books, but they were nowhere to be seen !
i'd love to borrow your books.

:)

---
i'm at 619 queen - that's my home base / studio.
thanks so much !
*jenn

I'll bring them in the next trip i make...might even be tonight if all goes as planned.

Dave Lee

TRIBE Member
glad to hear you kids all like the Murakami books hehe

Yeah todd that wind up book was pretty insane... not as mind bending as David Hume's philosophy but still twisted hehe.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Destro Sanchez
Lolita is another I have to cross off my 'must read' list.

update: Kafka on the Shore by H. Marukami is even better than Wind Up Bird Chronicle! (maybe it's because I relate to the main character more than the salaryman in the Chronicle)

Destro
finally finished wind up bird... remind me to return to your partner in (crime?) next time i see y'all...

peace inthe middleast

h....ar.m

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
I'm knee deep in a pile of books right now. Of note..

"Empire" Michael Hardt and Antonio Negri's opus neo-marxist tour de force. I think this books is kind of the antithesis to Kevin Kelly's "New Rules for a New Economy".. it basically deals with the decentralization of ideology. Really great read.

"The Moment of Complexity" Mark Taylor Does the pervasiveness of "networkism" in various cultural spheres. Not the most recent of texts along these lines.. but Taylor's a really broad minded thinker so I'm more than willing to lend him some of my time.

I'm still digging through "Mille Plateaux" - I feel like I need to reread everything written the last 20 years to understand how much Deleuze and Guattari infected contemporary thought with their vocabulary and binaries..

Also, picked up a copy of Slavoj Zizek's "The Plague of Fantasies" and Kobo Abe's "The Box Man" (thanks for the tip Mr. Lee) which are sitting, waiting in the wings for some free time with which I can use to savour them.

,g

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter

"Ancestor's Tale"
A hefty read about evolutionary biology and things related, written by the same guy who penned The Selfish Gene which is another great book. Just about to finish it.

"Lonely Planets"
Along the same lines as Carl Sagan's Cosmos but with a greater emphasis on possible life.4 chapters into it.

"The Design of Everyday Things"
Another book like one of my recent favorites (Human Factor). A mixture of Psychology and product design. 2 chapters into it.

"Living Language: German"
A month into learning German and my verb conjugation is coming along nicely.

As soon as I finish one of these (My limit is four books started at one time) I'm going to dive back into Calculus for something to do. It was supposed to be started already but the German bumped it along in line. My nights are apparently going to be lonely in the future :p nerd power!

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
I was thinkin of resurrecting this thread but you beat me to it!!

Haruki Murakami - "Dance Dance Dance"

an older one. It's just as good as the others!

reading some underground comix lately.

gotta new graffiti book. (forget the name right now..)

it's all raw street bombing, Nace, MSK crew, NY clean subway train hits etc...

destro