• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

techno room book club (was intrigued)

patri©k

TRIBE Member
hello everyone!

I've been doing lots of reading lately, so I figured I'd hop in here and contribute.

Later on tonight... I'm starting a new book entitled:

INVISIBLE EAGLE

by Alan Baker

I've been on a real 20th century occultism kick lately. I'll post an update as I make some progress. :)

ian

TRIBE Member
Re: currently reading

Originally posted by glych t.anomaly

WHERE THE DEAD LIVE - Will Self
very excited to start this one upon arrival back to toronto.

-glycht-
Was given this as a gift and despite repeated attempts, I can't get past the first few pages. I've read Will Self before (Great Apes), but this one did not grab me.

seeker

TRIBE Member
Music, The Brain, And Ecstasy by Robert Jourdain

I'm enjoying this book so far, but it is fairly heavy. Oh, and it has nothing to do with drugs. ;) It's an examination of how the brain hears music, and why music can get us 'there'.

I also have 'Underworld' by Don DeLillo sitting on my coffee table, but I haven't even cracked the cover on it. It's about 4 in thick (hardcover), and so it seems a bit intimidating.

biodork

TRIBE Member
currently reading

The count of Monte Cristo (unabriged) by Alexandre Dumas

and

Bagambo Snuff Box by Kurt Vonneguy Jr.

hahnsa

TRIBE Member
'Techno Rebels' by Dan Sicko. This book is sick. Although being the techno nerds that you are, I am sure everyone has read it. A very detailed anthropological and historical analysis of techno's birth and growth. 5 stars.

blipblurpbleep

TRIBE Member
^^^
good book for sure, but Dan being from Detroit himself had a major effect on the book. i think it could have been better had he been a little more impartial.

it just seemed that he had to tie everything that happened in Techno back to Detroit in some way.

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
a friend lost my copy a few years ago. bastard.

I wouldnt mind giving it another go too. buying something a second time is always enough to piss me off though.

Last book read: Human Factor (Kim Vincente)
excellent

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
weird, I was thinkin of pullin up this thread all week and here I saunter in and VOILA!

just finished William Gibsons "Pattern Recognition".

A good book (3 1/2 *'s outta 5) with an interesting look at marketing, branding, internet etc...

I am halfway through (AND LOVING)
Ian McEwen's "Enduring Love".

It has a Valis/FightClub kinda feel to it (I still haven't figured out if the Jed Parry character is real or a figment of ones 'magination)

Excellent writing.

after that^ book:

"Johnny Got His Gun"
by Dalton Trumbo

seeker: READ WHITE NOISE. It's great.

Destro

ian

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by hahnsa
'Techno Rebels' by Dan Sicko. This book is sick. Although being the techno nerds that you are, I am sure everyone has read it. A very detailed anthropological and historical analysis of techno's birth and growth. 5 stars.
I believe this is the book that (among other reasons) caused Bev (of the former Transcendance) to abandon her book which was complete to the point that it was in front of several publishers. Essentially, he beat her to it.

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Destro Sanchez

just finished William Gibsons "Pattern Recognition".

A good book (3 1/2 *'s outta 5) with an interesting look at marketing, branding, internet etc...

I have all of his other books except for Necromancer if you want to borrow something :) even the one full of his best short stories, word up!

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
some little man inspired reading...since I've got nothing new to read, bust out the real old.

The Emergence of Man
by John E Pfeiffer

pretty old and I'm sure out-dated but it has a few chapters on behavioural anthropology that I always like reading through.

Dave Lee

TRIBE Member
I've been reading cookbooks. Yes.... cookbooks. Been making me and the little lady some gourmet food.

Oh and Kobe Abe. Finished reading "The Box Man" recently and man... it's a trip. It's exactly about what it sounds like... a dude in a box. It's surreal, touching, and if my interpretation is correct, a critique on the materialism and posessiveness of society.

And just so I'm not reading just "smart" books I'm just about to start reading some clive cussler thriller/suspense stuff. Heard good things about his stuff so thought I'd give it a go.

seeker

TRIBE Member
"the box man" sounds familiar. is that the one with the guy who wears a box on his head?

(no, seriously)

seeker

TRIBE Member
sorry, I'm working on curbing my 'ask' reflex, and devleoping my 'search' reflex. That is, in fact, the story i was thinking of. too bad the book is out of print. :-\

Dave Lee

TRIBE Member
The book is widely avail now in reprint

Vintage International
ISBN 0-375-72651-9
Picked it up at Indigo at manulife center a month or two ago for $18

seeker

TRIBE Member
i think somebody in here mentioned 'techno rebels' by dan sicko earlier. i got it for a christmas present, and it's been a good read so far.

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
^nice prezent!

for our anniversary (and my fires anniversary) I got a copy of "Planet Simpson: How a Cartoon Masterpiece Documented an Era and Defined a Generation " by Chris Turner (some Queens Univ. grad)

basically, it's some grad students thesis on how important the Simpsons cartoon is to life, humour, the world, etc...

It almost kills my favourite show by getting TOOOOOOO deeeeep into the show. Plus I have seen every single episode, so reading all the examples is reading shit you know every word too - predictable.

for xmas I got a copy of "Street Logos" by Tristan something..

it's a great book that came out this year that focuses on street art, but mainly focusing on logos/stencils/stickers/icons and less on 'classical graffiti' like tags and pieces.

plus I read Charles Bukowskis "Notes From a Dirty Old Man"

some dirty dirty shit in there, but I love it. My style of writing (grimey!)

Destro