• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Techno record shopping in Toronto...

beta tester

TRIBE Member
One more question from the soon-to-be tourist...

Any suggestions for the best place for record shopping in Toronto for two minimal techno enthusiasts?

I used to go frequently a few years ago, but I was mainly into house at the time and usually went to Play D.

We're also planning to check out 2TheBeat, but mostly because their commercial is freaking hilarious.

We'd prefer downtown or subway-accessible locations, as that's where we're staying and we won't have a car.

Time

TRIBE Promoter
Play D is still the place to be!

2 the beat is cool

...what else for minimal techno -

if you're buying CD's - Soundscape on College, & Penguin on McCaul just off Queen are good as well

if it's vinyl then Metropolis, and Rotate This on Queen are also worth a look.

Cheers!

Gunark

TRIBE Member
The Pitt on younge & college used to be good. Haven't been there in a long time though. The owner is kind of a dick.

duggystyler

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Gunark
The owner is kind of a dick.
ha ha, i haven't been to the pit in years cuz of that guy. he got all huffy, and pouty one time, cuz i didn't want to buy HIS record. he said i didn't know anything about house or electronic music and that i didn't belong in HIS store. too bad for him, cuz my vinyl buying has grown into a $100 a week habit! - at least.
as for minimal techno, i don't really buy much, but i think copps on queen has some.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
I usually hit up Play De when I go to toronto (I was there just this past weekend, and spent ~$100, pretty good for someone who works at a record store).

I was briefly at Kops though I'll be back next weekend to check it out further.

odbx

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

d.code

TRIBE Member
You can check out Kops which is fairly close to 2theBeat. Its pretty good for the minimal action. Its on queen right out side of Osgoode station if you get out on the south west side- and then walk west for a bit. Its right next to store that has a giant condom character on the front window.

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by duggystyler
ha ha, i haven't been to the pit in years cuz of that guy. he got all huffy, and pouty one time, cuz i didn't want to buy HIS record. he said i didn't know anything about house or electronic music and that i didn't belong in HIS store.

LOL

Those stories never get old!!
:D

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders