• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

techno and turntablism?

tablist

TRIBE Member
yay or nay? i've been messing around beat juggling with some techno, and its pretty fun. anyrecommendations for tracks that'd sound dope juggled up a bit? anyone tried it?

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
I've done some messing about, nothing spectacular but its fun nonetheless.

try DBX "losing control" doubles, on the halfbeat or flanged on the mids, some cool effects can be done with a nice filter and some panning which can certainly enhances the depth of field on a somewhat dry track.

Playboy - Deep in Da Jungle is a good one for some reversing tricks, doubling the build, and again vocals on the halfbeat. Same for 'Women beat their men'.

Fix - Flash - So many good pieces of this tune to play with, you can definitely mix up on the doubles. Saw Rolando do a mighty fine mix up of this track, and I've been trying to come close.

odbx

tablist

TRIBE Member
the locked grooves richie put out are fun to juggle too, and really easy to put tape on as well. its kinda cheating tho since you don't really have to backspin the loop you're working with. still super fun tho.

thanks for the track suggestions. i'll check them out for sure!

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
I can't believe that this is even an issue. I remember when guys like Mills, Claude, where all about the skillz. Techno and especially electro needs this.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
my fader is shot, so trying to juggle with two volume sliders is wack :(

but I still try..

one of my favourite techno records to juggle is John Tejadas "Music for Doubles" ep off Palette records.

As you can tell from the title that it's meant for doubles, and John Tejada is ONE of the masters of techno turntablism IMHO.

Claude Young - Moving through your systems (?) ep off of Dan Bells 7th City record is fun to double up.

Dave Clarkes Red Series are classic double material...

and the most obvious doubled up techno track:

Gman- Quo Vodis (I don't care if I spelled it wrong!)

as for electro doubled up:

anything stripped down from detroit is fun to juggle. :)

Destro

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Humanjava
I can't believe that this is even an issue. I remember when guys like Mills, Claude, where all about the skillz. Techno and especially electro needs this.

Rhythmic

TRIBE Member
direct beat - (electric soul) (come on baby - instrumental)

always been a favourite to jugle but is more electro breaks..

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
We need way more turntable skills in techno. More aggressive mixing, creative mixing. That's why Mike D throws down so smooth, cuz he incorporates exciting mixing with dope tracks.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
there's something to be said for moderation in all things .. I like the juggle mix up as much as the next guy, and it certainly shows a fair amount of skill, but I've also heard a million juggles in a set but never even thought about dancing to it.

Technicality is great but creating a groove is far more important IMHO.

I've used the analogy of RNB DJ's before .. most of the time they have a mere 16 bars of outro to mix into the next intro, sometimes even less, yet they can make it sound so soothing and smooth.

Destro, turn your mixer sideways and use your volume faders to cut, much more of a natural scratch feelin' than choppin' faders. Used to do this on my Numark when I fucked the fader .. works well if needed.

odbx

The Kid

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Destro Sanchez
As you can tell from the title that it's meant for doubles, and John Tejada is ONE of the masters of techno turntablism IMHO.
Funny you mentioned Tejada... I was reading through one of my dad's studio magazines (he has a studio in his house for voice-over work he does) and there was an ad for those sample cd's that studio guys use called "hip hop cuts and scratches" (or something like that) ... anyway the point of this rambling is that all the cuts and scratches were done by none other than....

... Tejada! Told my pops that's one of my fav. techno dj's and he thought that was pretty rad.

Anyhoo.... that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

:)

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
^^^ya, john tejada has done TONNES of background hiphop instrumentals

In XLR8R recently he talked about how in a Tupac Shakur 'made for TV movie' about his death they were playing his beats and he started laughing (but then realized that he was laughing during the part when 2Pac dies! ha!)

I have a (lame) cd that he did with boring instrumental hiphop....it even has a cut with The Divine Styler on it. (also lame)

(hey, it was a present from Asek)

Destro

donovan

TRIBE Member
I have been experimenting with scratching and juggling for quite a while... I love playing with loops but my favorite thing th experiment with has got to be creating buildups out of the back base or double base. Particularly scratching into and out of an off-bass where your licks are kicking opposite each other .

This can have me mesmerised for hours sometimes, especially if im using lock grooves

Ive actually managed to generate my own tricks from experimenting that i dont think youll see in regular turntablism in the hip-hop sence..

One in particular,(doesnt have a name yet) sounds frikken cool when done right.

Take your first two fingers and stop the record on a kick, wait till the next kick or whenever you know itll sound good, and with your middle finger, flick the record so it spins quickly forward, back into its original cue..

kinda the idea if a reverse sheppard only with the right precision, you can flick it perfectly into where it should be.

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
^that sounds interesting, but isn't it gonna sound more like you slow on the drop and were just pushing the record forward to get it on beat? non?

(gonna go try it)

destro
I LOVE NO WERK FRIDAYS!!!!

donovan

TRIBE Member
actually it doesnt slow on the drop .. you completely stop the record with your first finger (for illustative purposes well say you firmly put your first finger on the wax at a kick, completely stopping it ...) and when you feel it will sound good, you pivot your hand slightly so that your middle finger can flick the record back into its original spot...

the whole skill is in the flick because it has to be the right pressure and speed in order to catch up to where it was in relation to the record on the other table..

variances can include flicking it into a double base or waiting to flick it an extra bar... after that it gets really fucking tough to put the record back to its original position but if you get this particular trick down to a science, there are endless variations you can come up with on your own and it sounds really slick