• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Technics sl-1200 turntable will return in 2016

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
THE ICONIC TECHNICS SL-1200 TURNTABLE WILL RETURN IN 2016

It's common knowledge that vinyl DJs everywhere prefer to use the Technics SL-1200 turntable. This is due to the powerful direct-drive motor that allows for optimal performance when mixing or scratching. It's been nearly 7 years since the Technics SL-1200's were discontinued and since then you can find prices on online marketplaces that are through the roof. That's all seemingly about to change as Panasonic has announced the return of the iconic turntable with the Grand Class Technics SL-1200G and limited edition Grand Class SL-1200GAE.

Announced today at CES, Panasonic has revealed the new version of the SL-1200 series. From what we can tell from the "new" design is that they didn't really mess with it at all and have kept the classic look and feel of the original. What Panasonic has done to the turntable is update the direct drive motor to eliminate vibrations that may occur.

"In the SL-1200GAE, the use of a newly developed coreless direct-drive motor with no iron core eliminates cogging. Also, the twin-rotor construction reduces the bearing load while maintaining high torque, and also reduces minute vibration during rotation."

The 50th anniversary limited edition Grand Class SL-1200GAE is due to be released in the summer of 2016. Only 1,200 units will be sold of that particular model, but the SL-1200G will be available later in 2016.

SPECIFICATION

All New Design for Redefining the Direct Drive Turntable
Twin-Rotor Surface-Facing Direct Drive Motor
Direct Drive Motor Controller
High Sensitive Tonearm
Brass-Top Turntable Platter
Insulator
Technics Definitive Design
Inherited SL-1200 Series
Heavy Aluminium Top Plate
Turntable Speeds
33 1/3 rpm, 45 rpm, 78 rpm
Variable Range Pitch
±8%, ±16%
Dimensions & Weight
W: 453 mm (17-27/32 inch) H: 170 mm (6-11/16 inch) D: 372 mm (14-21/32 inch)
Approx. 18 kg (39.7 lbs ) *Tentative *Height including dust cover
Terminal
Phono Output x 1 / SIGNAL GND x 1

story from:
http://www.magneticmag.com/2016/01/technics-sl-1200-turntable-is-back/

SPEC SHEET from TECHNICS with PHOTOS:
Grand Class Direct Drive Turntable System SL-1200GAE Hi-Fi Audio | Technics

oeretS

TRIBE Member
any guesses on price? I've been looking for a vintage pair online and the cost seems to have really soared, to my surprise

If they're under $500 each I'd probably buy em but something tells me they'll be more

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
I still use one of my 1200's as my reference turntable for my main listening system. Upgraded the needle to a premium model, but after going through a number of different options (Rega, linn, etc) I haven't found anything that can track like my 1200.

I'm sure if I was willing to venture into the realm of truly hi end audio I'd find something better but I just can't give up my 12's.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Hipsters are so fickle, they had to cancel them to begin with.

Now everyone wants them again. Unless they start ripping out the CDJ's out of the clubs, this will go on forever. Too easy to bring a thumb drive, then pay $120 every week at play de record.

Still will be always superior sound with vinyl.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

JamesM

TRIBE Member
any guesses on price? I've been looking for a vintage pair online and the cost seems to have really soared, to my surprise

If they're under $500 each I'd probably buy em but something tells me they'll be more
Used to have 3, ended up selling them. But we purchased two used mint condition ones a few years ago for $800 for the pair when everyone ditched them the last time.

Then everyone sold their entire record collections to get out.

Just they're kicking their asses now. Now everyone's going to keep their tables, so it's probably $600 a table used, at least. We sold ours for around that price when they were still popular.

The new ones will go for $900 if I had to guess.

praktik

TRIBE Member
sell now if you were thinking about doing it with any old 12 you have!

I of course, will be keeping both my record collection and my two 12's! ;)

greginhali

TRIBE Member
I checked on both craigslist and kijjji and was surprised to see not many being sold. One one craigslist and a few ultra expensive ones on kijji. One dude wanted 10 grand for a gold one.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
tec's have been steady at around 1100 a pair for used.
i dont think i know of one person who has actually bought a pair brand new. ha!
my brother got a massive score from some banking dude who's gf said no dice to turntables years ago

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Brandon

TRIBE Member
I was able to pick up a pair in decent shape for $400 about 3 years ago. It's about the only time I've ever been on the right side of a price fluctuation...

oeretS

TRIBE Member
obscene, but I think that's for the limited edition that comes out first, which will be snapped up by rich nerds. The regular one won't be that much but it'll probably be stupid expensive too... bummer

I also wanted to get the Rane MP2015 mixer, but that's 4 grand as well...

skin deep

TRIBE Member
man I wish I picked up some 12s a couple years ago when prices hit rock bottom ... never on the right wave of these price fluctuations. In fact, I almost always do exactly the opposite of what I should ...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
I had one of the original 1200's in silver many many years ago.

Moved out west and left it with a friend for safe keeping. He ended up selling it at a pawn shop for next to nothing for beer money.

Oh well, live and learn I say.

I still have my black ones and will never let them go. Not that they get much use these days but they are the work horse whenever I need a vinyl fix.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
i bet that price of 4 grand for these is pretty close.
the limited versions ( only 1200 to be made ) i bet go for close to 15 grand...just a guess.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
i bet that price of 4 grand for these is pretty close.
the limited versions ( only 1200 to be made ) i bet go for close to 15 grand...just a guess.
And I'm sure the limited editions never hit the market for you and I to buy them, will already be sold to a select few and will fetch 25k + when the owners decide to sell.

Really no different than a limited release of sneakers, clothes, or a car.

After 25+ years of working my 12's, I have no interest in changing anything. And for what it's worth, I would be very surprised if the build and performance even comes close to the original design.

My vintage Linn Sondek still fetches premium $$$ because the original design was the best. Then everyone figured out we could mass market a product and the quality when for a shit.

oeretS

TRIBE Member
anyone tried the Pioneer PLX-1000? I've heard this one resembles the 1200 in build and feel, but who the fuck knows about durability

price still steep at $900+ per

praktik

TRIBE Member
^^ And here is why Panasonic is getting back into the game, they left that niche wide open for a competitor!

JamesM

TRIBE Member
anyone tried the Pioneer PLX-1000? I've heard this one resembles the 1200 in build and feel, but who the fuck knows about durability

price still steep at $900+ per
Dj Jazzy Jeff was commenting on this:

Everyone is posting the return of the 1200. I have a different feeling about this. Trust me these have been the cornerstone of every DJ for the past 30 years and I don't know how life would have been without them...BUT they were never intended for us to DJ on...they never really gave support to the DJ community. They have been discontinued and relaunched 100 times even if it has been urban legend. I bought my 1st pair for $245.00 from Sound of Market in Philly and saw them get to over $1000.00 because of the fear they would go away forever. Vestex,Stanton ect have tried to replace them but never quite could. Then the patent runs out and we get the Pioneer Turntable which with my eyes closed I can't tell the difference...costing less than half the price with all the little upgrades and from a company that kinda gives a shit about DJs! So before I get super hyped about the return of the 1200...lemme make sure there gonna care about who's using them and there not $2000.00!!! Time will tell!!! Just MY thoughts!

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Finn says: "SL-1200G my ass. More like a grand class in turning a whole culture into some handcrafted pulled kobe beef burger gentrification. I sense the DJs they had in mind. And I do not want to hear them play."

JamesM

TRIBE Member
It's a bit of a heartbreaking situation. I've got ours in storage. No way they're going anywhere.

No selling involved forever.

If those jerk off's want to literally sell them for that much... But I think once they wrap their head around it, it will be $900 again.

1200 limited press 1200 M3D's? for $4000?

hhaha!

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
And Krysko says

Some people will pay an extortionate amount of money for a record deck. Some people will find more or less exactly the same model on eBay for a fraction of the cost. Some people will continue to use their perfectly working pair that they've had for the last 20 odd years. Some people will have no need for a record deck. Some will do the same same as the above but with CD players, USB decks or digital controllers.
Some people buy vinyl. Some people don't. Some people buy digital. Some people don't. Some people buy both vinyl and digital.
Some people DJ with vinyl. Some people DJ using digital. Some people will DJ using both vinyl and digital. Some people will mix music using an ear for timing. Some people will use sync options when they play. Some people won't mix at all.
Some people will use analogue gear to make music. Some people will make music entirely 'in the box'. Some people will use both analogue and 'in the box' to make music.
Some people will start vinyl only record labels. Some people will run digital only labels. Some people will have a label that puts out both vinyl and digital.
///
I think that's about 90% of what both the press and people have discussed over the last 20 years relating to dance music.
Shall we all now just agree to move on, while imagining the amount of time and energy freed up by doing so to discuss the actual MUSIC that people play and make, by whichever means they decide.
Cheers.