• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

technical term of jungle?

STR8UP*

TRIBE Member
can anyone describe to me the style of beats that make up jungle??
like what speed it's normally spun at,, stuff like that.
thanx,
mike

Dust

TRIBE Member
it depends. i wouldnt call anything made after 96 jungle. more like shit, but then again , iv been told by plenty of peeps that im an oldskool snob!!!
new skool sucks!!!!!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

rentboy

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by evil homer:
^^^have you heard the breakage EP

old skool is a mindset, not a best-before date
</font>
Exactly...

Dusty, have you not been listening to the old skool/hardcorish revival that's been happening the past year and a half???

evil homer

TRIBE Member
some new producers (well not necessarily new but contemporary) who are reviving old skool elements

Total Science
Dylan and Ink
Digital and Spirit
J Majik
John B
High Contrast
Breakage

and there are many many more who still maintain a similar aesthetic (to old skool rave hardcore or early jazzy jungle, not ragga jump up) but don't actually namecheck it.

tella

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by evil homer:
some new producers (well not necessarily new but contemporary) who are reviving old skool elements

Total Science
Dylan and Ink
Digital and Spirit
J Majik
John B
High Contrast
Breakage

and there are many many more who still maintain a similar aesthetic (to old skool rave hardcore or early jazzy jungle, not ragga jump up) but don't actually namecheck it.
</font>
i'd add asides to your list as well...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

evil homer

TRIBE Member
^^I agreee with that definition, but it is quite broad.

Is Jungle only defined by the beat tempo and structure? maybe, but is there not some other boundary that contains all DnB styles...maybe not? Is it possible to come to a more exact definition without eliminating enything that is DnB.

The other problem with that definition is that while it is by and large the case, there are tunes which have slower (or faster) bpms and occasionally straight beat bits for a portion. (ShyFX feel good being the most recent example, Blame's endeavours in different time signatures, some older tunes go into hardcore type beats, one of the mutationz remixes slows down to 140ish bpm for the last minute....)

for all encompassingness, i think thats an agreeable definition though