1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Tech help please with my shitty email service...

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by AshG, Aug 26, 2003.

1. AshG

AshG Member

Maybe i'm just stupid(probably) or maybe my email service is just fucked(not likely), but i can't receive emails anymore to my web based email account. Incoming emails are bounced back with a message about insufficient storage space available - this despite the fact that there is plenty of room in my account.

The only help available to me is the following statement, which i cannot decipher.
    If anyone has any idea what this means or how i can do what its asking, please let me know.
    So here's the only help file statement I could find that seems related:

DNS ISSUES

Issues with MX record setting

- My end-users are not receiving emails.

An MX (mail exchange) record is the means of transferring email from one location to another. In order for our service to work correctly, you must work with your Web host to direct the email for your domain to our servers. This is accomplished by making a simple update to the MX record. To offer a fully branded email address, user@yourdomain.com, you must work with your host to make this MX update. Everyone.net does not have access to update or modify your DNS file.

If your MX record is not pointed to sitemail.everyone.net, you may be able to send mail from your account, but you will not be able to receive mail at your account. There is no other way for us to retrieve mail for you until you work with your Web host to update your DNS file with the following setting:

yourdomain.com. MX 0 sitemail.everyone.net.

You can verify if the MX record for your email service is pointed correctly to Everyone.net through the Check DNS Settings section of your control center account. Log into your control center account. Click on your email service (Personal, Group, Business, or Express Mail). Click on the link to Check DNS Settings. Hit the Confirm button to start the process. If the MX record is currently setup correctly, you will get a DNS Confirmed message. Your email service is able to receive mail. If the MX record is not setup correctly, you will get a DNS Failed message. Your email service is not currently receiving mail and you should contact your host to make the MX record update shown above.

Make sure that all of the name servers for your domain have only the above MX setting. Otherwise, you may not receive all of your mails. Also, you may wish to remove your domain from your host's list of local aliases and any catch-all settings.

By the way, my email provider is called "crapmail", which may provide some poetic explanation as to the above issues...

Thanks in advance.

2. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

Why not contact your e-mail provider's technical support. They will most likely be able to provide you with correct solution in the quickest amount of time.

Cheers ... Ian :)

3. Swamper

Swamper TRIBE Member

Weird...

It looks to be a temporary issue where the ppl who run CrapMail had their settings incorrect (or a service on their end - DNS - was not running) - resulting in the message you see.

CrapMail is outsourcing their email services to Everyone.net who is the one that stores your emails/has the web based interface you see all the time.

4. AshG

AshG Member

Ah, yes, well that is indeed what i tried to do.

But upon discovering that their support comes at the low, low cost of $19.95 USD per call, or a yearly charge of some other, higher, amount, i thought i might try the all-knowing tribe option first.

I can't really complain because the email service is free, i've used it for years, i love the name, and in the past they did indeed provide free support, but still....

In the "free" email plan there is no online support available.

Boo to me. :(

5. AshG

AshG Member

Well everyone.net has always run crapmail so i don't understand why this issue arose today.

Also, from what i can understand from their statement(which is admittedly very little), the settings issue is somehow something i can change but they can't. I mean the MX record thing... is that something i can change on my computer here?

As you say: weird.

And as i now say: increasingly annoying.

6. isoprax

isoprax TRIBE Promoter

the MX record can only be changed by the sysadmin. that's not something they let people use who just have an email account with them.

let them know so they can fix it...then again they might be fussing around with it and have it fixed before you even realize it

7. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

And this is why I run my own servers ;)

8. AshG

AshG Member

yeah i figured that.
    problem is that i can't contact them without first paying 19.95 USD, which i'm loath to do when its their fuck up.

oh well, maybe they'll fix it soon.

9. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

Do you pay for their service?

I'd just bill them for downtime if you do ;)

10. DJAlchemy

DJAlchemy TRIBE Promoter

so you can deal with ALL the hassel yourself? Brillient! Do you clean your own house as well you lucky man? ;)

11. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

Hassle?
    You install linux and run a few configs and it works.

What's the hassle in that? :D

12. DJAlchemy

DJAlchemy TRIBE Promoter

thats all there is to it? No maintenence? No errors? Fool proof system?

cool, no wonder you get paid 90 grand to surf tribe. :D

13. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

90 grand? Damn, when did I get a raise! :D

And, maintenance... Hmm I ran a patch for the security holes.
    That's about it. Besides editing configs for hosts, etc... ;)

And this is my personal server, not my work servers.
    They are netware and exchange :D

14. AshG

AshG Member

No its free, so i can't really complain too much.

Too bad they were so reliable and offered online support before - i think people have come to expect that(when i say "eeople", i mean "me")
    Now i'm just pissed.

15. AshG

AshG Member

oh wait...

i just checked my email now, and i've sucessfully received my first piece of spam in the last day or 2.

i'll keep everyone posted in case of further exciting spam-related performance developments.

16. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

When I was using free ones.

I was using www.mydomain.com not sure if they're still around or free anymore.

17. AshG

AshG Member

yeah there's lots of options out there, but the issue here is more of a reliability thing.
    i use that email to contact people every day for both personal and business related stuff and its my main contact medium.
    To have that medium simply vanish with no word of warning to my contacts is not good for business, as it were.
    Lots of ongoing discourse will now just abruptly stop.

And it now appears as if only a couple type of emails get through.

blech.

18. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

mydomain.com was pretty reliable when I was using them.