• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Teacher defends student from racist bullying and is promptly fired

Pyrovitae

TRIBE Member
dig this: Seriously? So you feel she was in the wrong for intervening or was it the 'aggressive' way she did so? The first quoted part of what she said is in no way inflammatory - “If you’re picking on him, you’re picking on me. It’s not five against one, it’s five against two, and there will be no more taunting, teasing or racial names.”

The rest might just be misconstrued by the kids who were making those remarks, those poor little lambs being yelled at by a teacher.:rolleyes: And even IF she said 'shut up' and 'ugly face' she shouldn't have been fired.

Pyrovitae

TRIBE Member
Hmmm, sounds like the teacher may have been a bit in the wrong. She has a responsibility to explain why calling the kid a "n****r" and "coon" is unacceptable...
You have obviously never worked in a school and I imagine it's been a long time since your own educational experiences. The teacher would have to stop the unacceptable behaviour first and provide the 'learning opportunity' later, particularly when it's five students against one.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
the kids that were being racist should be suspended immediately, and their parents fined

2nd offense is expulsion. let the fucking retards see how easy it is to get through life with no education and being racist.

The teacher should be reinstated and get a raise.

fuck everything about this entire situation.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
You have obviously never worked in a school and I imagine it's been a long time since your own educational experiences. The teacher would have to stop the unacceptable behaviour first and provide the 'learning opportunity' later, particularly when it's five students against one.
Well first of all, this happened in Arizona. I'm sure neither of us are experts on Arizona schooling. In an Ontario context, principals (through mandated school board policies on inclusion and respect for diversity) have a responsibility to create an inclusive and bully-free environment under the Accepting Schools Act. Teachers play a lead role in supporting those efforts.

You say the teacher has to stop the unacceptable behaviour first. In fact, teachers have a duty under the Act to report bullying to the principal. No matter what the circumstances, telling a kid they have an "ugly face", no matter what the intent, would be considered inappropriate and unprofessional. In Ontario, I don't think such a teacher would be fired and would, at most, be relocated to another school in the board.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
"shut up" is crossing the line? My grade 4 teacher used to literally throw kids around in an attempt to physically intimidate so as to control them. I was one of the kids that he threw -lobbed me quite a bit off the ground in a heavy forward motion towards my desk, such that, when I landed, I had to take large, leaping steps forward so as to not immediately and utterly eat shit upon landing on the ground.

"shut up" is too far? n****, please.

(n**** = ninja, so there))

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Pyrovitae

TRIBE Member
You say the teacher has to stop the unacceptable behaviour first. In fact, teachers have a duty under the Act to report bullying to the principal. No matter what the circumstances, telling a kid they have an "ugly face", no matter what the intent, would be considered inappropriate and unprofessional. In Ontario, I don't think such a teacher would be fired and would, at most, be relocated to another school in the board.
I understand the context in Ontario, (although I was trained as a teacher in the UK, in London,) as there are similar laws on bullying and inclusion here.

Yes, the teacher would have to stop the unacceptable behaviour first. What do you suggest - she go straight to the principal to report whilst leaving one kid at the mercy of five others in a racially charged situation? If it escalated into physical violence the teacher would be held accountable. She should have reported the behaviour but after first intervening. A 'learning opportunity' on anti-bullying and inclusiveness cannot take place until the situation is defused.

The behaviour of the children she was reprimanding was far more inappropriate than her reaction. She had been teaching for twenty five years so presumably this is the first time that something so 'unprofessional' had occurred. Surely that should have been taken into consideration.

You are still defending the indefensible.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
I wonder what the actual reasons were that the officials gave for their decision. There might be something we aren't privy to in the media reports. Although of all the circumstances where a quasi-judicial decision is at risk of being improperly reached it would be one where those doing the judging are elected, and where their reasoning is not disclosed. i.e. like these circumstances.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
You are still defending the indefensible.
At no point have I said that the kids actions were defensible. In fact, I referred to the kids as "entitled little shits." The children who bullied the other child should be punished, although I am going to hazard a guess that the culture of this school (if not the community) does not embrace social equity. You are correct that the inappropriateness of the teacher's conduct pales in comparison to the racist brats. But, the teacher still should have handled this differently. I believe I've also said a couple times now that the teacher should not have been fired.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
For the record, I am not disputing that these entitled little shits should have been scolded and punished for their racial hatred. They are young, so this was still time for a learning experience.

As for the teacher, I stand by what I am saying. Teaching is a multi-dimensional profession and no matter what context I cannot think of when it would be acceptable to tell kids to shut up or ask them to put their "ugly face" away or whatever.

how about you shut up your ugly face.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Well the papers seem to show that this situation may well not be as cut and dry as the media is reporting.

The hearing officer (who wasn't a member of the school's administration but some sort of lawyer appointed to the task by the school district) concluded:
- The teacher had failed to report the incident until confronted about it the following day after one of the supposedly racist children's mother informed the Principal.
- Prior to the incident involving the teacher, the victim had been seen taunting the supposedly racist students (something about them losing a competition the day before.) The teacher was not present when this happened. (In this version, the victim is the aggressor)
- After the incident, the teacher then summoned the (supposedly) racist children. She accused (one in particular) of racial abuse, even though she had not (herself) observed this on this particular occasion and based it on a "gut feeling".
- It is here that the teacher made the comments alleged in the news articles.
- They detail some past conduct of the teacher they didn't deem appropriate. Some of it sounds a bit silly (referring to students as 'wacky', or some kid crying because she moved his desk.)
- The teacher was placed on an improvement plan in 2011 because of inappropriate, demeaning and sarcastic interactions with students.
- There was a past incident where the teacher had singled out one of the allegedly racist students and embarrassed him in front of the class because he had to miss a test due to family obligations.
- The hearing officer recommended the teacher be terminated.

The document helpfully puts the teacher's responses to all the allegations above. If the teacher is telling the truth then there are serious questions to be asked about the competence of the hearing officer. Pretty serious stuff is raised like the administration coaching the allegedly racist students evidence to make it more consistent, and an unusual bias in favour of those students' evidence in the hearing's conclusion (Ignoring the evidence of the supposed victim, and one witness who was otherwise uninvolved with the incident but supported the teacher's version of events.)

Basically it's not clear who is right and wrong. If the teacher is telling the truth then she probably needs to go to court to have the decision overturned else she is a bit fucked.

Last edited: