1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Taxpayers on the hook for $1 billion for security for G20 & G8

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, May 26, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

WTF! What a colossal waste of money! Why don't these guys just take over an island somewhere for a permanent site for these photo ops?

I am sure they could find a Dr. Evil type island. If Richard Branson can buy an island or even that freaky fashion designer dude Peter Nygard, why can't the G8?
  2. SJN

SJN TRIBE Member

The biggest boondoggle is the one day they're spending in Muskoka.
  3. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Yes but it will pay for the earpinning of the Muskokie Bros. as part of local beautification projects in advance of the world leaders' arrival.

A lifetime of indignity will finally be solved!

The community has rallied around the summit for this reason.
  4. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

yesterday it was 833 million. what did they decide to do overnight i wonder?

TheSpec.com - BreakingNews - Security cost for G8, G20 summits tops $830 million

5. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

alexd was just rounding up like a lot of the media have been this morning.
  6. alexd

They built a hockey rink with the money in muskoka and are calling it a "media centre" to get the money from the government.

Why can they just get money from the government to build schools and hockey rinks directly, have the g8 in some other country instead, and save the added 1 billion dollars for security costs?

This whole thing is like the Olympics, only shorter and more expensive.
  7. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

To be honest I'm more worried about the drain on resources presented by our involvement in Afghanistan.

our military was pressed before we jumped in there!
  8. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Well at least we won't have to listen to a G20 version of "I Believe"...
  9. alexd

i hear you, but we are hopefully getting out of there soon.
  10. alexd

It is actually quoted at $730 million, but these things never go over budget, right?
  11. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Oh I don't doubt the final tab will be well over a billion! Just sayin' you're not the only one using the billion figure- I read it in the papers and heard it on the radio too, despite the official figures being touted around.
  12. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

dont even joke. i live a block away from the bay at yonge/queen. that shit was playing on repeat 24/7 for the entire olympics. if i ever hear that song again i will stab someone
  13. alexd

I think it is more indicative of people's trust in "official figures" than anything... They always lowball stuff like this to the media so it's only fair that the media round up.

How much did the olympics go over the initial cost projections? By like 3x or something...
  14. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Maybe the Riot Cops will use "I Believe" as a crowd suppression tool with their new sonic blaster!

15. SJN

SJN TRIBE Member

16. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Probably needed the extra funds to cover the start-up costs of getting the Soylent Green factory working.
  17. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

We should hire the tamils to protest the G20. They're allowed to shut down a city for weeks without consequence. Then we can save on security and fucking party in Bellwoods
  18. erika

erika TRIBE Member

From the Globe and Mail's editorial today (full article here: Follow the billion - The Globe and Mail )
    Word that the federal government has budgeted up to $930-million for security at the upcoming G8 and G20 summits provokes some sharp questions that the government is unable, or unwilling, to answer. Canadians are willing to pay a steep price in dollars for security. But they also expect some clarity on why, exactly, they are being asked to pay so much.

The summits are marquee international events, and opportunities to showcase Canada to visiting leaders and media. It is in everyone's interests, including most of the international protestariat that will inevitably descend on the region, for security to be thorough, so that no one gets hurt. A heavy, disruptive and expensive security presence is a regrettable but necessary feature of 21st-century summitry.

That does not, however, justify the opaqueness of today's operation. Parliamentary estimates tabled yesterday request an additional $321.5-million for the RCMP, another $262.6-million to the Department of Public Safety and another $63.1-million to Defence, all toward policing and security at the summits. (Costs are also being incurred by other departments and jurisdictions.)
    The federal government has known for nine months that the G8 and G20 summits would take place back-to-back. But it only realized in February that Huntsville, Ont., would not be able to handle both meetings; its decision then to move the G20 portion to Toronto will cost taxpayers millions of dollars.
    How could it take them that long to figure out that Huntsville doesn't have the accommodation numbers required? What kind of "planning" is that?????
  19. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

No planning whatsoever. Harper probably earmarked Huntsville 'cuz he remembered how much fun it was to go to Arowhon Pines and canoe with his family, thinking 'gee, it'd be fun to have the leaders over for a summit and a bit of canoeing'. So he goes and announces that that's where the party's going to be, leaving it to his staff to figure out the logistics. As soon as someone who has a brain in their head arrived on the scene (professional G20 party planners perhaps), they realized the crazy in the original plan. By then of course a fair bit of planning had already been done, as it had to be.
  20. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

LOL reminds me of Family Guy's Empire Strikes Back episode where Darth Vader tortures Han Solo with "Where have all the cowboys gone"
  21. SJN

SJN TRIBE Member

and a crapload of money spent on infrastrucutre improvements. Between that and the fact that there was some politicing involved (it's Tony Clement's riding), I don't think they could jusify moving the whole thing to Toronto so they just moved part of it.
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
  22. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

I'd be interested to go up and check it out after the summit has been and gone to see all the improvements... electricity (power plant upgraded), water & sewer, two-lane blacktop in and out of the city, landscaping, cellphone towers, wifi, all that shit... given parts of that community were pretty close to the Hatfields & McCoys it can't be anything but good.
  23. SJN

SJN TRIBE Member

Parts of Huntsville were beautiful (generally the newer parts developed since the Muskoka explosion the last 10-15 years) and parts were right out of Deliverance. I drive up Hwy 11 and across Hwy 60 to go to my cottage in Algonquin. The road improvements and bridge work (all funded by money for the Summit) around there last summer was really annoying. I'm planning on going up to the cottage the weekend of the summit but will have to use an alternate route (won't be able to get anywhere near Huntsville - Hwy 60 is effectively closed between Dwight & Huntsville); won't see the finished product until July.
  24. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Just wait till one of our news rags remembers to calculate the HST on this shit show.
  25. Hipsterave

Hipsterave TRIBE Promoter

Last edited: May 26, 2010