• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Taxi Reforms at City Council Today

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I haven't been following this so I'm not sure where I fall on the issues.

City committee supports some taxi regulation changes, defers others | Toronto Star

Here are a few of the recommendations:

All new licenses issued by the city will “require a wheelchair accessible vehicle.”
Accessible cabs will ensure service in the same amount of time as someone who doesn’t need an accessible car.
Council endorse the goal that six per cent of the total fleet (approximately 290 cars) be wheelchair accessible.
Council issue 290 new taxicab licenses for those accessible vehicles.
Allow all approved alternative fuel or hybrid vehicles to be used for taxicabs.
Allow cab drivers to issue a $25 “vomit fee.”
Initiate a study to determine the impact of mandating shields.
Allow drivers to demand payment up front to a maximum of $25
Amend the “passenger bill of rights” to the “taxicab bill of rights” that would include both passengers and drivers.
Current fare rates be maintained and be reviewed every two years.
I think I have an issue with giving the taxi driver the ability to charge $25 upfront if they think the customer looks shady. So hard to tell from the way people look if they are shady right?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
How many of you have been turned down by a cab because you weren't going as far as they wanted to go? I have, dozens of times. That should be illegal.

If they are empty and cruising around they should not be allowed to pick and choose fairs based on distance.

octo

TRIBE Member
I think I have an issue with giving the taxi driver the ability to charge $25 upfront if they think the customer looks shady. So hard to tell from the way people look if they are shady right?
same

the best thing to happen to the cab industry is uber and hailo

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
^ This has not happened to me, yet. However I have had cabs with a CC sticker on the door tell me they only take cash at the end of the ride.

Which brings me to another point: I would hope the amendments would put a ceiling on how much cab companies can charge drivers for credit card payments. I think they range from 7-10% of fare which is ridiculous as it costs the company approx 2%.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
How many of you have been turned down by a cab because you weren't going as far as they wanted to go? I have, dozens of times. That should be illegal.

If they are empty and cruising around they should not be allowed to pick and choose fairs based on distance.
It already is illegal.

A taxi driver is not permitted to refuse a fare based on limited distance unless the area is in a remote place which the driver reasonably believes to be unsafe.
Taxis - taxicabs - fares - City of Toronto

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
In Toronto it is! If you can eyeball and quickly memorize their taxi license info and repeat it back that shuts 'em up real quick.

coleridge

TRIBE Member

Just say you're going to Woodbridge or somewhere else that is far away. Once in the cab fake a phone call from a friend with "change of plans" and get the cab to take you where you want.

Learned that from the great videotronic

Rage

TRIBE Member
I'm APPALLED at these proposed regulations in favor of drivers.

$25 in case we puke in a cab? GTFOH! How about giving us $25 for having to sit in your infested, dirty, and absolutely rank-ass smelling busted up cab??? I can't remember the last time I sat in a Taxi in this city that didn't smell like an outhouse in India nor resemble a gutter in Pakistan.

Refusing to take a fare? I don't give a SHIT that it's only down the street. Don't we have to pay $4.50 just to sit in your shitbox? You can take my ass across the street if I want - I'm paying you for it.

You don't except credit cards or debit even thought you pass the merchant fees on to the passenger just because you don't want to wait a week or so to collect from whoever it is that pays you out on that? Go operate a rickshaw asshole. Take that up with your hack.

acheron

TRIBE Member
once again, HAILO ftw.

I've been using it for the past year and it is so boss. the interface is brainless enough that even drunk me can make it work. Drivers seem to like it too. I'm sure the dispatchers aren't happy but fuck them.

Rage

TRIBE Member
So nobody here has had to suffer through a nauseating ride in a cab in this city?

Nobody has been turned away because they weren't going somewhere the driver didn't want to take you?

Or been refused a ride because you're paying with something other than cash?

This is what you're saying? Cool - glad to hear you haven't had to experience any of these instances.

:rolleyes:

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
I've never smelled a cab that smelled like an outhouse or a gutter and that was a gross comment to make. Yes, I've been turned away for a shorter ride than the driver wanted and as you can see from the discussion upthread it's possible to express your feelings about something like this without ranting about pakistani gutters or indian outhouses.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Also, one of the proposed changes is to require that all cabs have debit/credit machines. The right to refuse a fare based on distance is not one of the proposed changes.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
I understand where they're going with the $25 up front payment if you look sketchy, but if they allow it I guarantee cabbies are going to ask for it every time no matter how you look.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
I'm APPALLED at these proposed regulations in favor of drivers.

$25 in case we puke in a cab? GTFOH! How about giving us $25 for having to sit in your infested, dirty, and absolutely rank-ass smelling busted up cab??? I can't remember the last time I sat in a Taxi in this city that didn't smell like an outhouse in India nor resemble a gutter in Pakistan.

Refusing to take a fare? I don't give a SHIT that it's only down the street. Don't we have to pay $4.50 just to sit in your shitbox? You can take my ass across the street if I want - I'm paying you for it.

You don't except credit cards or debit even thought you pass the merchant fees on to the passenger just because you don't want to wait a week or so to collect from whoever it is that pays you out on that? Go operate a rickshaw asshole. Take that up with your hack.
you are not normal.