• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Target Pulls Out of Canada After Losing Billions

Stop Bill C-10

Primavera

TRIBE Member
Never went to a Target in Canada. Might go before the stores shit down. Kind of surprised me they never opened a location in downtown Toronto.

I know real estate downtown for a large commercial property is at a premium but was just surprised such a huge chain wouldn't have a presense anywhere downtown.

From where I live the closest Target is 8km away. For people that don't drive, it's a bit of a trek.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
generally speaking id guess that if you can afford to live in downtown toronto you're not exactly target's "target" demographic

*see what i did there?

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Only ever went in one once. it was in Guelph, we got some blinds, and a couple of other things. Not a lot of people at all in these stores when i was there. and it was near a major shopping hub in guelph.

They should have pronounced it like it was French.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
Pretty much the pinnacle of corporate arrogance thinking they could blast into Canada full-bore without testing the waters more carefully.

Sportmart made the same mistake in the late 90s.

"We'll show those Canucks what they need!"

*crickets chirping*

praktik

TRIBE Member
When they first opened the commentary from people in the family shopping there was that they had brands and selections Canadian stores didn't offer and people appreciated the variety.

Clearly it wasn't distinct enough from existing market offers to drive enough customers to their stores.

*SiLver*RoBoT*

TRIBE Member
Never went to a Target in Canada. Might go before the stores shit down. Kind of surprised me they never opened a location in downtown Toronto.

I know real estate downtown for a large commercial property is at a premium but was just surprised such a huge chain wouldn't have a presense anywhere downtown.

From where I live the closest Target is 8km away. For people that don't drive, it's a bit of a trek.

There was an article a couple years back. They basically said they're only located in suburban areas because basically it's the same template for all their stores. There aren't any big enough to accommodate the space they would need.

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Target's shareholders welcomed the news, sending shares in the company up almost three per cent on the NYSE on Thursday.

Beings

TRIBE Member
Canada is funny, if you go to the mall we have a whole lot of junky stores selling cheap goods, in which no one is shopping (except walmart but those are never in a mall).

Then you go to stores like Aritzia which sell $189 dollar jeans and they swarm with teens.

Probably same reason why upmarket subcompact cars come to Canada but not so much to the US. We like to spend more to feel like we are classier than average walmart goer.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
I rarely hit the VP & Danforth one solely because it was more out of stock of basic items than not. Even Saturday morning at Open.

Massive never ending fail on the Supply Chain side.

And they priced their Goods all wrong.

Ignominious defeat.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Trying to open over 130 stores in a year is mind blowing.

Look at how long it has taken Lowe's and before that Walmart to establish themselves in Canada.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
This is very disappointing. I really liked Target as an alternative to Walmart. But hell, it was only a matter of time. There never was a time I went in there and saw one overly busy.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Yeah so I was in Kingston over the Holidays, and they have one in the Cat Centre. It's basically Walmart. Really ghetto americanized version with a supermarket, but all Red and sterile. It was the old Simpson Sears with no supermarket.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
It had a starbucks though [target].., who woulda thought. So discombuluated. No wonder they didn't harness reality, when everyone else is at the box malls. Best Buy, Home Sense, etc.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Canada is funny, if you go to the mall we have a whole lot of junky stores selling cheap goods, in which no one is shopping (except walmart but those are never in a mall).

Then you go to stores like Aritzia which sell $189 dollar jeans and they swarm with teens.
I think you hit on something. While the middle class in Canada flock to Wal-Mart and Target, a place like Target which is a tier above Wal-Mart and does offer that total middle class shopping experience, couldn't really find its niche. Zellers and K-Mart were discount department stores, Target, at least in their American iteration, stand for something slightly more refined; where Prius drivers can grab a Starbucks, a trendy Timex Weekender watch, some organic groceries and maybe even contemporary housewares. That model never seemed to appeal to Canadians, I think we're either too urban and refined, or the type of suburban middle class who double down on Costco savings, but then splurge on Coach bags.

acheron

TRIBE Member
The problem with Target is that it couldn't find the same niche in Canada that it had in the US. In the US, many Walmarts are total shitholes populated by morons and other "people of Walmart", really run down and truly catering to the bottom of the barrel.

Target could very easily present themselves as the cleaner, nicer Walmart with (slightly) better product. Hence the "Targé" moniker the chain acquires among suburban shoppers.

Up in Canada, our Walmarts are actually pretty clean and well-managed. Target was stuck offering more or less the same product as Walmart with the only difference being the red paint job and no McDonald's.

People who are already addicted to the Walmart down the street have no reason to go to Target when there's so little difference.

defazman

TRIBE Member
I went once because I needed a new earpiece for my phone, but that section wasn't open until 10 so they wouldn't let me buy one.