• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Tanzania!

dig this

TRIBE Member
Hey Tribe.....

planning an almost-last-minute honeymoon to Tanzania for about 2 weeks in early March....

Anyone have any good info that they'd like to share? I'm doing tons of research online but there seems to be so many bloody tour operators and options.... Would be nice to hear of someone's first hand experience.

We're looking to do about a 5 day safari and a week or so in Zanzibar.

Thanks!
Dan

wakipaki

TRIBE Member
5 days safari is somewhat excessive, after day 1 or 2 you've seen all animals, tanzania is that good, like literally, you've scene the entire kingdom, 3 to 4 day safari is more than enough, zanzibar is cool, but mostly just beaching etc.. could you do a europe stopver en route? i would say worth it for the full honeymoon experience, dar is quite an intimidating city, if you've never been to africa before may be intense, although there is awesome nightlife, you need to know people

moose-meat

TRIBE Member
5 days safari is somewhat excessive, after day 1 or 2 you've seen all animals, tanzania is that good, like literally, you've scene the entire kingdom, 3 to 4 day safari is more than enough, zanzibar is cool, but mostly just beaching etc.. could you do a europe stopver en route? i would say worth it for the full honeymoon experience, dar is quite an intimidating city, if you've never been to africa before may be intense, although there is awesome nightlife, you need to know people
^^^
sound advice

will be following this thread cuz this trip is also on my mind. but would also have to include the great white shark cage thing in south africa. and marrakech on the way back. :)

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
kilimanjaro is obviously an awesome trek, but you would need 5 - 7 days. lemosho route is the least travelled and best.

zanzibar is awesome if you find the right hotel/resort. beaches as nice or better than the caribbean, but without all the lazy tourists.

dar es salaam was an amazing experience, but i agree with those above that it is best experienced if you have a local contact or friend. it is a lot more dangerous than, say, a major city in uganda.

speaking of uganda, if you are looking for a great combination of safari, immersion in a different culture, and some of the greatest natural wonders on the planet, you may want to consider uganda instead. being a former british colony, a lot more locals speak some english and the communities are safer. we drove all over the country in a borrowed jeep and never once felt unsafe because of the locals.

having visited both tanzania and uganda, i would say uganda has more cool shit to do, unless you are planning to climb kilimanjaro.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

dig this

TRIBE Member
The tour operator I've been in contact with originally suggested 6 or 7 days, so I thought I'd cut it down to 5.... But I've also heard that 3 or 4 is just enough. Do you have a recommendation for a tour operator? This seems to be the biggest challenge - to find one that I can trust and will not break the bank.

Zanzibar looks like a pretty cool place to spend sometime, although again it looks surprisingly expensive. There doesn't seem to be much for under $200/night... Any recommendations for hotel?

We weren't planning on spending any time in Dar, although I always enjoy checking out new towns. Is it worth it? Whatabout safety?

On the way down we'll be spending about 4 nights in Cairo, so don't think we'll do Europe, although there is a stop-over from Cairo to Tanzania in Addis Ababa which looks intriguing. I want to limit the amount of places we visit however and spend more time to enjoy the places we're in. Otherwise everything goes by in a blur.

d

dig this

TRIBE Member
kilimanjaro is obviously an awesome trek, but you would need 5 - 7 days. lemosho route is the least travelled and best.

zanzibar is awesome if you find the right hotel/resort. beaches as nice or better than the caribbean, but without all the lazy tourists.

dar es salaam was an amazing experience, but i agree with those above that it is best experienced if you have a local contact or friend. it is a lot more dangerous than, say, a major city in uganda.

speaking of uganda, if you are looking for a great combination of safari, immersion in a different culture, and some of the greatest natural wonders on the planet, you may want to consider uganda instead. being a former british colony, a lot more locals speak some english and the communities are safer. we drove all over the country in a borrowed jeep and never once felt unsafe because of the locals.

having visited both tanzania and uganda, i would say uganda has more cool shit to do, unless you are planning to climb kilimanjaro.
Thanks for your response....

Uganda also sounds good (gorillas!!), however I think due to the timing of our trip Tanzania is better since we can check out the great migration. Not sure if we'd have the same opportunity in Uganda.

We originally planned on doing Kili, but time, costs and lack of training is prohibiting us. We're really looking for beach and safari.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

wakipaki

TRIBE Member
Lots of people rave about Ethiopia, I didn't like it too much. Addis is really just another african city. Probably on the safer side of African cities, but not so interesting. The more interesting parts of Ethiopia are in the north and south, which require internal flights or time. Cairo is by far a more interesting/practical stopover choice. Its the largest Arab city, has tonnes of interesting sights / areas (Coptic Cairo, Medieval Cairo, Giza, Zaamlek). If you have time go do some kiteboarding and diving on the red sea for a couple nights, Alexandria is also cool, as is Luxor. You should be able to get amazing deals on hotels right now given the messiness.

About hotels, Africa (by African I'm not including Cairo) is expensive. There's not a lot of midrange, its either high end ($150 - $200+++) or a dump. There are exceptions by country, but that's sort of the way it goes. And at the high end, sometimes the service is lacking, so you end up paying and not really getting the service you'd expect. Decide hotels based on location and tripadvisor, your best bet.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Zanzibar looks like a pretty cool place to spend sometime, although again it looks surprisingly expensive. There doesn't seem to be much for under $200/night... Any recommendations for hotel?

We weren't planning on spending any time in Dar, although I always enjoy checking out new towns. Is it worth it? Whatabout safety?
Did you say you were doing this on your honeymoon?

Dar is a disgusting shit-hole of a city and unless you plan to make contacts and live there for a year, you're better off moving.

Zanzibar is absolutely beautiful. Stone town itself is wonderful. But don't spend more than a day there.

Hitchhike or, a cab, or whatever, get yourself up to the north east coast of Zanzibar, and there you will find the most beautiful beaches of all time. No tourists, just Indian Ocean and white sands.

I'd share my own pics but I'm paranoid these days.

Oh, and the food. Well clearly Zanzibar is a spice destination. One of the best recipes I took home from there was coconut, clove, and seawater, mixed with slight vanilla and whatever meat you can find. Put it over a bed of rice and you'll be breastfeeding forever.

Aha, it's a long travel, well worth it.

-Jeff

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Well, one day, there were three of us. Two American girls and myself.

There is an aeroplane that flies to Zanzibar but we chose the boat, for the obvious reason that it's cheaper.

me> "Yo, where can I buy a ticket?"
them> "Mzungu, mzungu, come here!"

Well it was quite a fantastic ordeal to get to the ramshackle shed that sold tickets for the boat. Me, my white and red sunburned skin, stuck out like a pile of shit in a wheat field.

I took a gravol. I had other stuff but I wanted the gravol to be working before I got on that dilapidated ferry to Zanzibar.

Maybe the American girl bought it for me, or maybe I paid, but before I knew it we were on the ship.

Heavy diesel soot. Oh, but I was used to that by now. I think the people are black in Tanzania because of all the diesel soot that falls on them. That, and they can't find a shower.

An interesting drug it is, gravol, dimenhydrinate, only seems to last about 3 hours, which was perfect for the slow boat.

When we got off (the boat), all these officials started coming up to us. Well I guess I had had a few pops on the boat and the American girls were scared. Not sure if it's corruption, but it's certainly reality, this very black man in dated khakis and no shoes was demanding some kind of fee from us. Maybe he weighed 77kg. Without further explanation, I cleared that path.

Strangely, they have an odd affiniation for "doors", in Stone Town. I bought a few paintings and actually also a couple, real, doors. Doors! I got drunk one day and burned them all but that's another story. Things happened, I got bored. We got on the back of a chicken truck to the northeast part of Zanzibar.

me> "Oh hello, are you open?"
american girl 1> "I don't think anyone is here?"
american girl 2> "I don't think this is safe, we should call (boyfriend)."

me> "Oi! Is this place open?"
american girl 1> "Well let's take a look down the path."

So we did walk down the path, and it lead straight to the Indian Ocean, and just before we crashed there,

Hotel Lady> "Hey guys! Karibu!"

Oh but she looked at me and I was sunburned. I mean, desperately burned and I asked her:

me> "Do you have beer here?"
Hotel Lady> "Are you guys staying the night?" (with a South African accent)
american girl1 looks at american girl 2
me> "Yeah man it took forever to get here."
american girl 2> "Well actually, we were looking for this hotel:"

and she pointed to some nonsense in a lonely planet guide.

Hotel lady> "Well, that place has been out of business for quite a while."
me> "Yeah we're staying, I need a beer."
Hotel Lady> "Well, we serve breakfast at 8am and lunch is prompt at noon and..."
me> "Are we staying here? I don't know which kind of Austria you're from, but I want a beer."
Hotel Lady> "Ah, I see, well let me introduce you to my husband."

some shit happened.

baking of sunburn, I awake the next day:

Hotel Lady:> "Hey Jeff, can you watch over the hotel please, my husband and I want to go to Stone Town."
me> "Lady, honestly? I'm in bed still?"
Hotel Lady> "Well aside from you guys there's only one guest, he's from Sweden. The staff will cook you breakfast and lunch and we plan to be back by dinner. So... Just admit any new guests if they come."
me> "What?"

So, the American girls were still asleep, and when I walked out of the hut, it was blazing African sun. So I went straight to the bar, since I was in charge. Maybe 10am.

Oh and then I was stuck. There at the table was a man, perhaps no more than 21 or 22 years old, with almost no clothes on at all, reading a book.

His hair was cropped and colour of flax, fresh wheat on a summers day. Skin white and tanned like he had spent too many days away. I noticed his thumtails, well done: odd for the kind of lifestyle we live. I suppose I was staring, I hadn't seen a white male in months and months, maybe that's why he looked up at me, and there I saw in the Zanzibari sun the most glorious blue eyes.

Swedish boy> "Hi."
me> "Yeah... Hi... Would you like a beer? I run this place today."

And I looked downward from his eyes and he had the most beautiful abs. Lightly skirted by some kind of hemp bathing suit. May as well have been naked.

Swedish boy> "Well, I came here and I haven't checked in."
me> "Well that's fine. We can take care of that later. Your accent, where are you from?"

Of course that's when I learned he was from Sweden.

me> "You know, I haven't seen a white male for at least four months."
Swedish boy> "Ah, well, ...."
me> "Did you come by yourself?"
Swedish boy> "Yes I prefer to travel alone."
me> "How much travelling could you possibly have done? You're too young?"
Swedish boy> "Well, yes, but I'm happy to be here."

Well that stunned me for the record, so instead of his azure eyes I took a gander at the book he was reading. It was a calculus book.

me> "So, you came all the way to Zanzibar, from Sweden, to dress more or less nakedly, and spend your time in a bar, attended by me, to read a Calculus book?"
Swedeish boy> "Yes I suppose, that's exactly what I am doing."

-jM
A&D