• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Talvin Singh

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
i love his productions. so many have followed his style and made it really faddy (ie mid-east percussion) but he is a true originator of style - not just downtempo, but this is the best place for some talvin singh appreciation...! Although to be fair, i have not heard if he's working on a new album....has he gone into hiding?

rentboy

TRIBE Member
he's an artist that i've barely touched upon.

However, lately i've been playing a BBC Breezeblock set of his and liking alot of the middle eastern-tinged dnb he drops throughout.

Care to recommend a starting place?

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
the first album i heard of his was "ok" - it came out some time ago but it is still awesome. "ha" came out this century but his style hasn't changed a whole lot...for the better.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Taro

TRIBE Member
yeah he is really good, although its been years since I've listened to anything that he has done

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Taro
yeah he is really good, although its been years since I've listened to anything that he has done
Yeah seriously. What's up with all these so-called "downtempo" acts anyways. Seems like mid-90's to 2001 was their moment, then *poof*, they're gone.

(*I mean, it's not like I stopped drinking allongés in café-culture...*)

Anyways, "Vikram the Vampire" from "ok" was an awesome song, and I personally gave "Ha" a lot of play, though the lustre of originality was a bit more lost on that album (the D&B-infused tracks still cranked, though).

For a Talvin twist, try and dig up this Master Musicians of Jajouka (Feat. Bachir Attar) disk that he produced in 2001. Those guys were the original trance-meisters, tho' Talvin makes this disk a bit more 'palatable' for Western tastes. It's quite sweetly 'out-there'.

Last edited:

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
Also reaching towards Talvinesque greatness is Nitin Sawhney from somewhere out there across the sea. i have his first album...there's about two songs that are great - but for these two songs its worth it! "Breathing Light" is a song worth hearing....and "Moonrise"