1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Taliban car bomb in Times Square

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, May 2, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

CBC is reporting that the Pakistani Taliban are claiming credit for yesterday's car bomb found in Time's Square.

2. sheik rock

sheik rock TRIBE Member

I really suspect it will be right wing extremists. Maybe that's just hope so the Tea Party can implode.

3. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

That was my first thought - tea party people

4. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

Or maybe it was just fabricated to keep people suspicious and in perpetual fear of "the other guy".

Yeah, yeah, I know - crazy, conspiracy nut, blah, blah, blah...

5. WestsideWax

6. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

you don't think it's more likely to be one of the MANY groups that are very unhappy with the US and who have expressed a willingness to do such things?

7. WestsideWax

If this board is any indication, nearly EVERYONE is unhappy with most governments in their current form. If I was a head of state or industry and had to read news article after news article and watch endless streams of TV commentators condemming my actions, I'd probably get a little paranoid as well, maybe want to keep everyone in their nice, obedient, subservient place.

But back to my assertion that on the other end of the coin, it couldn't possibly be the government's doing, as they're just looking out for the well being of average blokes like you and me...

Nope.

Never.

8. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

i'm not sure if that is a response to my post, because you simply posted more or less the same thing you did earlier with new links.

9. WestsideWax

O.k., here's an answer:

I don't know.

10. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

take my mixer.
    please.

11. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Claiming responsibility for a failed bomb, eh?

[​IMG]

12. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

^^^^

Sooo Cold, but absolutely funny!

13. sheik rock

sheik rock TRIBE Member

Lol seriously. That's like claiming a fart in an elevator. No one is impressed.

14. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

<cough>

I wonder why your link didn't go to the Oklahoma city bombing, which we all know of course, was a false flag attack on the populace by a government looking to take away its own citizens guns!

15. krosum

krosum TRIBE Member

16. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

I didn't think it would be an Islamic Extremist. They tend to stay in the car and make sure it goes off.

17. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

footage of the failed attempt

18. WestsideWax

Much easier to cite more cut-n-dried examples like deliberately poisoning your citizenry because they aren't complying with your demands.

19. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i claimed responsibility for a broken window and three overturned plants in the office this morning. people regard me differently now...i'd say with more respect.

20. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Perhaps, but then such citations, from 90 years ago no less, tell us little about an event occurring today.

Entirely speculative, and of no real value in understanding why this happened in times square.

21. WestsideWax

Right, because our consciousness has evolved to the point where we as human beings would never commit such atrocities toward each other again, ever.

Seems like the Pakistani Taliban angle was entirely speculative as well. As is the notion that it might be some random white guy who changed his shirt in an alleyway neaby the site of the incident.

Hey, my neighbour Bob is a white guy, and I've seen him change his shirt - you think maybe I should report him to the authorities?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Thats the point, its way too early to say for sure what's going on so you'll see the agendas of people who are speculating poking through:

Neocons embroiled in WW III against islamic extremists - jump on that bandwagon

Dupes convinced the government hand is behind every act of evil - jump on that one

My opposition to your speculation was not motivated by an "everything is peachy" attitude. Nor was it motivated by a "the government would never do that" attitude.

Rather it was motivated by hope of instilling a bit of patience before we start jumping to conclusions about what was behind this act.

23. WestsideWax

But there won't be any conclusive evidence on this matter. This incident will soon fade into the background and nothing substantial will come of it, aside from increased security measures implemented under the guise of public safety.

That, or some slackjawed extra from Deliverance will be paraded before the press as the culprit, will be prosecuted accordingly and then increased security measures will be implemented under the guise of public safety.

Any wagers?

24. krosum

krosum TRIBE Member

I agree. I find it odd that the fertilizer inside was not dangerous enough to do any major damage. The real McCoy would not overlook this.

I blame the South Park guys!

25. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Turns out it was a naturalized American of Pakistani origin.

What always amazes me is the stubborn willingness on the part of some to infer that every such incident is the work of shadowy government agents looking create pretexts to shove down tighter security policy. Policy is already tight as a nun's anus, and this approach totally ignores the very real reasons why a Pakistani might be motivated to do something like this:

- a half century of American intervention and adventurism in the middle east
    - current and ongoing war directed by America in this individual's home country
    - American support of military dictators in his home country
    - American support of Israel

so, why is it so hard to believe a Pakistani might be radicalized by one or all of these things and become motivated to exact a price in return for the costs he feels have been put on him and his compatriots by American policy?