• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Take the Toronto Island park survey!

Primavera

TRIBE Member
* Don't forget to also put tribemagazine.com in the space "where you get information about the park" if you can. Thanks.

https://cityoftoronto.fluidsurveys.com/s/visitor_survey_toronto_island_park/
Done.

Interesting survey.

Hope they make a few improvements. It's the little things that matter, ie they have a Boat House with kayak rentals. Is there pricing or more info about it online? Nope. You have to go to the island to see pricing, hours, availability, etc. You'd THINK they would have shit like that online. You'd think that they might have maybe another few cafes or food options on the island? Nope.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

diablo

TRIBE Member
This article from 2014 talks about it being delayed after deciding to implement a system in 2013. It also mentioned it'd be ready for the Pan Am Games and of course it's still not ready.

I don't know why they need a specialized company to do this, just get get a web developer to create an e-commerce site.

Toronto island ferry e-payment system delayed until fall - The Globe and Mail
So they took out the (functioning) electronic kiosks before they had any replacements in place. Amazing.

Honestly, who gives a shit about being able to pay with a phone? Is anyone buying ferry tickets so often that a credit card is an unbearable hassle? It's pretty embarrassing that Coca-Cola has vending machines that can take cash and/or credit cards and dispense a product in ten seconds, but something like this is beyond the abilities of city staff.

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
Trust me the Kiosks were fuct... Very confusing and slow.... Need to be able to buy tickets online... Print ticket and scan at terminal... I bought a 10pk of tickets tjis season... Another tip thete is a fare booth beyond themaon booths on the right with rarely a lineup... Goin to Hanlans tmmrw...

diablo

TRIBE Member
Trust me the Kiosks were fuct... Very confusing and slow.... Need to be able to buy tickets online... Print ticket and scan at terminal... I bought a 10pk of tickets tjis season... Another tip thete is a fare booth beyond themaon booths on the right with rarely a lineup... Goin to Hanlans tmmrw...
I dunno...I used them without issue the last time I went.

I just feel that perhaps we don't need to spend millions on leading-edge payment technology for a service that the majority of users actually use maybe 1-2 times per year at less than ten bucks a pop.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

I just feel that perhaps we don't need to spend millions on leading-edge payment technology for a service that the majority of users actually use maybe 1-2 times per year at less than ten bucks a pop.

The people who ride the ferry a lot (like me!) know to buy advance tickets or monthly passes. It is the tourists who matter with respect to ticket at-the-dock purchasing as they account for the majority of people who go to the island. What they need is a wall of automated ticket machines that have instructions in various languages that can take credit cards. On weekends they need some ask ASK ME volunteers in front of the machines to provide assistance.

On the Island they need SIGNAGE right by the ferry docks in various languages explaining that you can rent bikes.

The bike rental place should be moved from its current location in the middle of nowhere to a place adjacent to the Center Island Ferry Dock.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

It will be a million dollars over budget, take years to implement, there will be a scandal, and some people will get gently reprimanded.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Is there an exit from Billy Bishop Airport to the rest of the Islands? It really annoys me that I have to bike past that terminal all the way down to Queens Quay.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

blaze_604

TRIBE Member
i only fuck with the water taxi.
Pay one way and jump on the ferry for the ride back for free (they don't check tickets on the island side)

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Is there an exit from Billy Bishop Airport to the rest of the Islands? It really annoys me that I have to bike past that terminal all the way down to Queens Quay.
There is but it is not available to the general public.