• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

T2200 tax form, know anything about it?

swenard

TRIBE Member
I was hoping on saving a bunch of money on my income taxes this year by writing off some of my expenses and need some advice on how to do it; Hopefully someone here knows about it. I am employeed as an inside/outside salesperson for a company. I do receive a commission and am expected to pay my own expenses to be reimbursed at a later time. The only thing is, the mileage expense doesn't actually cover my full vehicle costs, nor does my company allow me to expense dry cleaning, car cleaning, etc. I understand that you can write off your extra expenses, deemed to be business expenses, against your commission income only, which would mean I could see a very sizeable cheque since my job is largely commission. I have $9400 in fuel alone.

My only question is,how do you fill out the T2200 form correctly so they aprove you for this write off? I don't want to have my company fill it out improperly. I was even thinking of writing it up myself and have my dim witted boss sign it.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
$9400 in fuel alone? yikes!
what do you do? Commute from Cornwall to Windsor daily?

What tax program are you using? I used TaxWiz, and it explains EVERY LINE to you. Which was great for me, cause my taxes were retarded this year.

swenard

TRIBE Member
The Tesseract said:
$9400 in fuel alone? yikes!
what do you do? Commute from Cornwall to Windsor daily?

What tax program are you using? I used TaxWiz, and it explains EVERY LINE to you. Which was great for me, cause my taxes were retarded this year.

I commute from Georgetown to Hamilton everyday. It is 150km's total, plus I use High-Octane and drive a lot out of work. I also do some outside sales calls in Southwestern Ontario during the year which can be a few thousand km's at a a time.

I actually am trying to use quicktax right now to see if it tells me.

swenard

TRIBE Member
swenard said:
I commute from Georgetown to Hamilton everyday. It is 150km's total, plus I use High-Octane and drive a lot out of work. I also do some outside sales calls in Southwestern Ontario during the year which can be a few thousand km's at a a time.

I actually am trying to use quicktax right now to see if it tells me.

Quicktax seems to verify the dollar amount. If I am completely honest, which I will be, I end up getting back 20% of my expenses(since 20% of them aprox, is my business mileage), which would work out to about $4500.Unfortunately driving from work to home and back counts as personal mileage.

Sweet!!! Much better then the $668 I was getting before.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
There is usually a designated (read: authorized) person who can sign a T2200 and it probably won't be your boss (unless he's in Finance). It's super basic, and really easy to complete.

swenard

TRIBE Member
daddyiwantchocolate said:
There is usually a designated (read: authorized) person who can sign a T2200 and it probably won't be your boss (unless he's in Finance). It's super basic, and really easy to complete.

That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping I could have him sign it and if the government ever came after me, I could just blame my boss. Oh well... I guess I will have HR fill it out.

Michael Drury

TRIBE Member
swenard said:
That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping I could have him sign it and if the government ever came after me, I could just blame my boss. Oh well... I guess I will have HR fill it out.

I fill one of these out every year. You dont need your company to fill it out - just need them to sign it - have your accountant fill it out. Tis what i do.

Good luck - getting mo money back is good :p