• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Systema Saturdays Artist Search!!!!!!!!!

kate manus

TRIBE Member
Humanjava said:
Still there are top acts though that don't cost as much as your car.
exactly! and of the DJs I mentioned earlier... there are a handful of them that I know personally would play for a very reasonable rate. My biggest obstacle here in Montreal is finding an appropriate, affordable venue.. but otherwise I would have pursued some of those names already for sure.

a name like Jeff Mills won't be too likely for this type of night... but someone like Joel Mull I think, could definitely be a possibility!

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
kate manus said:
exactly! and of the DJs I mentioned earlier... there are a handful of them that I know personally would play for a very reasonable rate. My biggest obstacle here in Montreal is finding an appropriate, affordable venue.. but otherwise I would have pursued some of those names already for sure.

a name like Jeff Mills won't be too likely for this type of night... but someone like Joel Mull I think, could definitely be a possibility!
joel mull?

not very reasonable.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
if you don't mind having someone on one nite who'd play tunes from his podcast.... i would love a chance to hit the decks with alittle serato scratch action. :D

mind you... there are a TON of other ppl in this city who play out regularly who prob. would laugh at my record/mp3 collection

kate manus

TRIBE Member
actually I was trying to shop him around to a few Toronto promoters but no takers unfortunately.... he will be playing some gigs in the US again early next month. I had a Thursday night offer for him here in Montreal but it wasn't doable.
He'll likely be back again next Spring.. hopefully with some Canadian bookings too!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
kate manus said:
actually I was trying to shop him around to a few Toronto promoters but no takers unfortunately.... he will be playing some gigs in the US again early next month. I had a Thursday night offer for him here in Montreal but it wasn't doable.
He'll likely be back again next Spring.. hopefully with some Canadian bookings too!
yeah i know,one of the promoters was i(along with gow).

i love joel alot,but he need to realize that it isn't 1999.

kate manus

TRIBE Member
OhNo! said:
yeah i know,one of the promoters was i(along with gow).
i love joel alot,but he need to realize that it isn't 1999.
You've pointed out that you don't feel his fee is reasonable.. so obviously you won't be booking him any time soon. I can't see the price going down very much.

Uberspliff

TRIBE Promoter
in my personal view I think that any artist should be happy getting $500us to play anywhere in the North America. I mean lets say Rachmad or Mull should be happy to get $500 for a gig. IF they love the music so much and they want to promote themselfs why not play for that amount.Its not like they are loosing something by playing here. Some of these europeans want big dollars cause they are used to it. But really take Rachmad for example who wouldnt pull more that 50 people in Toronto.For the money it costs to get him here any promoter is gonna lose their shirt. But then there are some artists that understand this and work with it. Anyways hopefully more artist from europe will understand that and start making a bigger name for themselfs here rather than wait and never promote themselfs because the want the big dollars.
end of rant....;)

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Uberspliff said:
in my personal view I think that any artist should be happy getting $500us to play anywhere in the North America. I mean lets say Rachmad or Mull should be happy to get $500 for a gig. IF they love the music so much and they want to promote themselfs why not play for that amount.Its not like they are loosing something by playing here. Some of these europeans want big dollars cause they are used to it. But really take Rachmad for example who wouldnt pull more that 50 people in Toronto.For the money it costs to get him here any promoter is gonna lose their shirt. But then there are some artists that understand this and work with it. Anyways hopefully more artist from europe will understand that and start making a bigger name for themselfs here rather than wait and never promote themselfs because the want the big dollars.
end of rant....;)

Come on now you can not make a living off that. These ppl do this and it is their job so I think the argument can just as easily go the other way in that a promoter should respect the artist and pay them what they are worth. If you can't then don't bring them it is that simple.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Humanjava said:
Come on now you can not make a living off that.
Fair enough, but it would be nice to see/hear of some expensive DJs balancing their well paying gigs with some lower paying ones just for the sake of being accessible.

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
Humanjava said:
Come on now you can not make a living off that. These ppl do this and it is their job so I think the argument can just as easily go the other way in that a promoter should respect the artist and pay them what they are worth. If you can't then don't bring them it is that simple.
yes,but sometimes their worth doesn't translate when they cross the pond ie rachmad,voorn,laux and sometimes it does ie garnier,clarke,beyer.

the difference being those djs/artists that over the course of 10 years have developed a relationship with north america and the party scene to the point where they are as well recognized as any local dj/artist in the city.

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
Its sad - in europe people get paid way more and that is just the standard - here your lucky if you even get paid.

I think artists need to set standards - there are far to many promoters that do not pay djs/producers and far to many dj/producers that will play for free just to play out and that sets a standard where its ok not to pay people for thier talent. Its total BS i would rather go into the hole doing a party and make sure my artists get paid, then just let them come and play for free - its not right - unless say its for a friend even still --- A higher standard needs to be set in our industry.

It may very well be because here in Toronto it is harder to bring crowds out and actaully make a profit... not much that can be done about that.. it's all very trickey.

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
mrs peacock said:
Its sad - in europe people get paid way more and that is just the standard - here your lucky if you even get paid.

I think artists need to set standards - there are far to many promoters that do not pay djs/producers and far to many dj/producers that will play for free just to play out and that sets a standard where its ok not to pay people for thier talent. Its total BS i would rather go into the hole doing a party and make sure my artists get paid, then just let them come and play for free - its not right - unless say its for a friend even still --- A higher standard needs to be set in our industry.

It may very well be because here in Toronto it is harder to bring crowds out and actaully make a profit... not much that can be done about that.. it's all very trickey.
what are you on about?

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
OhNo! said:
what are you on about?
What i am trying to say is it is unfortunate that a lot of times people do not get paid for playing out. I am not saying every promoter is like this - but i have enough experince to know that promoters take advantage of artists and have them play for free. I am not pointing the finger at anyone.
I know that sometimes promoters lose $ on nights but i still think artists should be compensated in some way all the time.

kate manus

TRIBE Member
Humanjava said:
This just about sums up my take on it. I think most DJs do have wiggle room on their fees depending on the circumstances... for example... Awakenings is notoriously cheap with paying their DJs because the DJs recognize the exposure that event brings, along with playing to a full house of 6000 people along with 5 or 6 other headliners (and I'm guessing most DJs don't refuse that booking). Trying to convince a DJ to come over to this side of the pond for a gig that pays them a fraction of their regular fee, when in the case of someone like Rachmad he is foregoing a handful of other 'well paying' gigs that weekend elsewhere is a reeeeally hard sell.
So I guess people like Rachmad and Joel likely won't be playing Toronto in the near future... but curious to see who will be!

praktik

TRIBE Member
Just wait til all the chinese kids get tables and start playing out! They'll play for 30 cents an hour!

Techno outsourcing? You better believe it's coming!

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I really loved how big of a party the Adam Beyer night was, and I really hope those guys at least broke even on it...but ultimately, I'm happy with the options we have here now. I'm happy with names like Beyer coming only once every so often...it's a nice treat. but for every week or month, if we have smaller less expensive artists, that's great too.

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
kate manus said:
So I guess people like Rachmad and Joel likely won't be playing Toronto in the near future... but curious to see who will be!
honestly,i don't think anyone will lose sleep over it.

there are way too many talented artists to worry about a couple of guys that nobody knows over here anyways,sad really.

kate manus

TRIBE Member
OhNo! said:
honestly,i don't think anyone will lose sleep over it.

there are way too many talented artists to worry about a couple of guys that nobody knows over here anyways,sad really.
always nice to see people actually promoting artists they believe in.
I don't think these guys will be losing sleep over any missed opportunities here either. ;)