• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Sympatico High Speed question:

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
When I am clicking around, about once every two or three minutes, my internet connection will just hang, like it won't go to the site I want it to go to.

Thirty seconds to a minute later, my modem starts blinking and away it goes.

It's not that big of a deal, not worth calling Bell over and being told to make sure I have the modem plugged in.

My comp is a PIII 550mhz with 512 MB of ram, and Im running Windows ME.

Is this something I should just accept as normal?
Or can something be done about it?

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

echootje

TRIBE Member
Phone Bell, they'll probably tell there's a problem in the area and you'll have wasted just as much time as you would have on Tribe.

Rob

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Aerius Zension
Windows Me?

Bill

For shame.

If I could get you 98 I would. :(

I have 98 here on CD, should I be installing it instead?

Why does everyone hate on ME so much? this is the only problem I have run into with it so far?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
win me continuosly (sp?) writes it's configuration to the hard drive.. as you use it more, it has to write more stuff to the drive and it is a never ending cycle.
Microsoft never envisioned how shitty this idea was until it was too late.
and that, in a nutshell is why ME sucks ass.

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by green_souljah
Is this something I should just accept as normal?
I wouldn't... I've got Sympatico HS and I can't remember ever having that happen to me, even when I was running Windows ME.

I'd call Sympatico, but get ready for them to want you to try plugging your modem into other phone jacks. They really like doing that (granted, the last time I called, it DID solve my lack of bandwidth problem, as the phone line I was using turned out to be faulty).

If you find the guy's just totally wasting your time, ask right away to speak to a supervisor... the first tier guys generally have very little knowledge and they tend to stick to the step-by-step guide that's sitting in front of them, and know nothing outside of that. I've gotten some guys who actually knew what they were doing, but I've also gotten complete boneheads.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
I once mentioned Windows ME around my IT dept. I was laughed out of there office. Microsoft is pretty embarassed about that program.

If you have 98, install it. Don't even bother with XP, its the most targetted OS cause everyone uses it. 98 is being phased out eventually, but at least you don't 1-2 security updates per day like you would if you had XP.

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
Why does everyone hate on ME so much?
My Windows ME was also running fine at first, but after about a year, it started to crash at least once a week. I came to really really loathe the blue screen of death. The only more unstable OS I've ever seen was Win NT on my parents' computer, which would crash if the screen saver went on.

When I got my new computer, it had XP on it, and I didn't like it at first, but after a couple days I got used to it... and I really appreciate the lack of crashing.

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by stir-fry
win me continuosly (sp?) writes it's configuration to the hard drive.. as you use it more, it has to write more stuff to the drive and it is a never ending cycle.
Mmmmh... perhaps that's why my last computer died in a spectacular fashion in December.

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
ok, thanks guys.

Now for my next question.

ISO files.

Lets just say that someone were to grab on OS off of Kazaa, and it comes as an .ISO file.

What would that person do once it is downloaded?

:)

Dirt Dawg

TRIBE Member
Call bell, and if there is any problem, ask to speak with a second line tech. They outsource their frontline response, so the peeps are mad retarded.

But still, it's going to take a bit of time. IF it is their problem and goes on for a time unresolved call the biz office and ask for compensation.

- Out for 45 days due to a bad DSL port at the Telco that was never checked-

Nick

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
ok, thanks guys.

Now for my next question.

ISO files.

Lets just say that someone were to grab on OS off of Kazaa, and it comes as an .ISO file.

What would that person do once it is downloaded?

you can use Nero to burn images and it'll let you burn iso files

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dirt Dawg
They outsource their frontline response, so the peeps are mad retarded.
HEHEHEHEHE... it's funny cause it's true.

My buddy works at Sympatico and he keeps telling me to not bother talking to the front line guys. (though the last couple times I called, that's who I dealt with, and they did manage to fix my problem without any retardation) I did once get a guy that made my brain want to gnaw its way out of my skull and who couldn't speak English OR French well at all.

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
FOLLOW UP!

Thanks to the massive and crew that said Windows ME sucks.

After three days of setting up and working out the bugs , I am know running Windows XP Corporate, and my internet connection has never been better.

I am now on the anti-ME bandwagon, the difference is incredible.