• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Switching master hard drive from one pc to another / doesnt boot

bucky

TRIBE Member
I've never done this before, so maybe I'm missing something or it just might not work. Anyways, I have a p2 350, was given an amd 700.. figured I'd switch all the hardware from one to the other. Put the hard drive in, turned on the amd system, started to boot, then saw a blue screen and it rebooted. Tried to boot to safe mode, shows the multi disk lines, then reboots. The hard drive has XP Pro on it.

Any ideas/suggestions?

randyval

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by bucky
I've never done this before, so maybe I'm missing something or it just might not work. Anyways, I have a p2 350, was given an amd 700.. figured I'd switch all the hardware from one to the other. Put the hard drive in, turned on the amd system, started to boot, then saw a blue screen and it rebooted. Tried to boot to safe mode, shows the multi disk lines, then reboots. The hard drive has XP Pro on it.

Any ideas/suggestions?
i would recomend a format and clean install.
but if thats not an option, boot your winXP cd and do a repair.
dont forget all your service packs and security updates, you will need to reinstall them.
make sure you dont go online without firewall and antivirus.
good luck:)

Hypnotoad

TRIBE Member
hmm yes. trying to switch motherboard and processor types will require a lot of work. Even if "repair" works, I have a feeling it will be unstable as hell. Well, more unstable than typical windows.

Clean install is definitely the best option.

bucky

TRIBE Member
was hoping that wouldn't be the case. Oh well, seems like buying a 2nd hdd and more ram is easier than backing up a 60gb hdd.

Thanks!!

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Open the BIOS upon loading and make sure all the configuration settings match the hardware - including your swapped disk, save settings then exit and reboot. You may have to fully powercycle the machine (ie: unplugging, plugging.)

If not, then load up the winxp cD, go into recovery console, do a /fixmbr

reboot and pray.

X_Door

TRIBE Member
I am assuming that the system that you were given came with an HDD in it and you have installed your old HDD as a secondary drive. If that's the case, you might want to make sure that your primary HDD's jumpers are set to master (they probably are unless it's set to "cable select") and the secondary is set as the slave.

bucky

TRIBE Member
Nope, it didn't come with a hard drive. Traded a case of beer for the case/mboard/cpu and ram. Sounds like the best way in avoiding having to format is to just buy a new hdd, they're cheap enough these days.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
no you are SOL on this one, I've experimented with this before when I actually had a strange discovery when swapping out a mobo.

If you were simply changing mobo's on the same arch it may have worked (some do, some don't, I found interchanging different manufacturer's mobo's was wonky at best).

Going from p2 to AMD is out though. Reformat and Reinstall.

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by oddmyth
no you are SOL on this one, I've experimented with this before when I actually had a strange discovery when swapping out a mobo.

If you were simply changing mobo's on the same arch it may have worked (some do, some don't, I found interchanging different manufacturer's mobo's was wonky at best).

Going from p2 to AMD is out though. Reformat and Reinstall.
I've made it work before.
The trick is this, on your old rig, wipe your IDE controller drivers (delete them through the Device Manager)
Then swap the drive over. The issue is the IDE controller chipset is totally different (Intel vs. Via vs. Nforce vs. Whatever) and windows can't figure out where to boot from.
If you let it redetect you're safe.
I still say a clean install is the way to go though.
People seem to think you need to reformat. Just install to a different directory.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
k, the problem you are experiencing is basically what Grinch and odd myth alluded to above. When Windows installs, the drivers it uses are platform-specific. I have actually done a P3 -> P4 upgrade by doing a repair driven from the Win XP installation CD, but generally, you are fighting an uphill battle.

I would agree that the best option is to go with a reinstall, unless you feel like exploring the repair option.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr. Grinch

People seem to think you need to reformat. Just install to a different directory.
I don't think he needs to reformat, but Windows FS perf sucks ass on a good day with a clean filesystem. Fragmentation is a bitch.

bucky

TRIBE Member
Considering how much info I have on the hard drive, and not wanting to spend days backing up to cd, I'll go with buying another hard drive and just have 2 pc's. Not worth the risk of trying to install to a different directory, or wiping out the ide controllers and experiencing problems.

Thanks for the tips though!!

Hypnotoad

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by bucky
Considering how much info I have on the hard drive, and not wanting to spend days backing up to cd, I'll go with buying another hard drive and just have 2 pc's. Not worth the risk of trying to install to a different directory, or wiping out the ide controllers and experiencing problems.

Thanks for the tips though!!
No need for 2 PCs. Go ahead, get a new HD. Use that as the primary master. Plug your old HD as the primary slave or secondary master. Windows will just make that the D drive or something.