• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Switch and IP release

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
In our office, our server holds our DNS, DCHP and WINS information. We have one router which I set up at 192.168.0.2 and two switches. I ran into a big problem where, the network was down and I couldn't figure out why, only to find out a little router hidden under someone's desk, which was obviously creating duplicates on my network.

I found a little switch which I am using as a hub in someone's office. My question is, would I run into the same problem, where there are duplicate IPs if this switch is on the network, and how do I find out this switch's IP address, how do I change it, or should I not worry?

Much thanks.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Ignore the layer 8 comment, it's not useful.

First, a switch/hub will not handle IP routing, nor should it hand out IP addresses using DHCP. Therefore, unless it has such functionality, you should be fine. Integrating it cleanly into your network is important, so in your case attaching it to the router is best.

Second, find out the make and model of the switch you want to use, and consult the manufacturers documentation. That will tell you how to access it, and how to configure it if necessary.

Good luck!

-- L.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
k, first of all, a switch (by definition) does not handle routing, DHCP leases or (usually) any traffic control features. If you've removed the problematic router (a router, by definition, does routing, DHCP lease assignment, etc), then putting a switch on your network won't be an issue if you are just looking to connect multiple computers through the 192.168.0.2 gateway (router).

A switch does not have an IP address assigned to it. It operates on layer 2 (with the physical MAC addresses of the devices to which it is directly connected).

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders