• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Swimming for Fun and Profit!

seeker

TRIBE Member
I got a swim pass for Christmas. Today was the first time that I've used it (couldn't exercise until late Jan due to an operation in mid-Dec). I'm pretty excited about a) getting back into healthy physical condition and b) swimming!

Anybody else a swimmer? Got any good tips? I haven't done much swimming since was a kid -- definitely not laps. It's kind of like falling off a log (I even found myself using some of the 'racing' stuff I learned way back when, even thought I couldn't do laps for more than 5 min straight LOL).

Anybody know how to do one of those slick turn-manouvers when you finish a length? I never could master that...

Bean

TRIBE Member
what pool is the pass for?

swimming is awesome - it gives your whole body a workout.

i found (when i used to go more often :() that i got bored pretty quickly if i didn't vary my routine. waht made it intersting was doing pyramids of strokes: 6 front, 5 back, 4 flutter kick, 3 arms only ... and then back up and down and up and down.

i'm such a geek that i bring my own flutter board (combo flutterboard pool buoy - to work arms and legs separately) to the pool :cool:

peace,

sabina

seeker

TRIBE Member
edit: never mind

FAO deep et al in the football thread/
solo sports > team sports, as is evident by the enormous response that this thread has received vs your silly, pathetic bomb of a football thread. :p

seeker

TRIBE Member
nice one bean! :)

this pass is for all the pools in London ON, but I'm going specifically to the Canada Games Aquatic Centre. They have a huge diving pool, a pool for laps, and a great little shallow area for classes/sports/mucking about. It's a great facility that was re-named a couple of years ago when London hosted the (can you guess it?) Canada Games.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
i have a pool on my roof that i have only ever used TWICE. so sad, considering i was so excited to use it when i first moved in.

so swimming is really a good workout? it just always feels too fun and easy to be effective.

but maybe that's just cuz i like to alternate between pretending i am a dolphin and floating on my back...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by squirrely
i have a pool on my roof that i have only ever used TWICE. so sad, considering i was so excited to use it when i first moved in.

so swimming is really a good workout? it just always feels too fun and easy to be effective.

but maybe that's just cuz i like to alternate between pretending i am a dolphin and floating on my back...
Or maybe you spend too much time asking the pool boy to bring you Pina Coladas.

moose-meat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by seeker
Anybody else a swimmer? Got any good tips?
Its all about bi-lateral breathing.
If you have NO idea what I am talking about , take a lesson.
And kick those feet too !!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

seeker

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Swimming for Fun and Profit!

Originally posted by moose-meat
Its all about bi-lateral breathing.
(I had to look this up). This is what I was referring to about my 'old racing stuff' -- breathing on both sides when doing the crawl. :) The problem is that my lung capacity has diminished and I can't go a full 3-strokes before breathing again! (damned cigarettes/joints)

Anyway, last night I concentrated mostly on the breast stroke, but I think that I'm going to start switching it up once I get another week or two under my belt.

moose-meat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by seeker

but I'm going specifically to the Canada Games Aquatic Centre.
Is that the one on Wonderland Rd ?
If so , thats the one my Dad uses.
Talk about a beautiful facility.......:)

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
I do aquafit twice a week and I love it - pretty soon I am going for my bronze cross so I have that under my belt

It's Rawknee

TRIBE Member
Swimming, tennis, basketball.....that's all I ever did when I was a young lad growing up. I guess it helped that I lived right across a community centre that catered to all these things.

I haven't swam though in years (literally!) up until a month ago. I do a lot of running/biking.....but if I had to choose it would definitely be swimming.

As someone mentioned earlier, it's a total body workout.....so good!

I hit the pool at school about 1hr/day, 3days/wk. I'd do it more, but that's about all I can fit in with school/work:p

Good luck.

Be safe, rawknee

Cheer Bear

TRIBE Member
I'm thinking of joining one of those Aqua Natal classes, since I love to swim, and swimming + pregnancy = good for you

DEEPHOUSEGRL

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jonesy
anyone know of a good place to get a swimming pass at in Toronto that's not too expensive?
Check out the JCC (Jewish Community Centre ?) at Bloor and Spadina. I hear it's cheap and a nice pool! Or you could consider swim training classes at U of T as well- 2 km in 60 mins!!

SpaceBabe

TRIBE Member
I've totally started swimming again.. but unfortuantely don't go enough.. just once a week.. Friday nights.

I have a membership at the YMCA.. and the Bayview location does masters swim coaching mon, wed and friday nights.

It's pretty tough but you go at your own and just do the laps the coach tells you to do but at your own pace.

I'm learning how to swim properly but want to learn how to do butterflies.

I was just taught how to do the flips when you reach the pool wall.

I want to get into diving.. like the board diving.