• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Swimming at Toronto's Beaches

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
looking-west.jpg

Here is a great description of the various beaches in the Toronto area from a swimmers perspective:

Swimming Toronto’s Beaches | LIVING TORONTO

Stop Bill C-10

Rage

TRIBE Member
I've lived in TO my whole life. I'll never believe it's safe to swim in Lake Ontario, no matter what reports come out.

LikeASweet

TRIBE Member
this summer was the first time I was swimming in lake Ontario around the island. I used to be unsure of the water but am convinced that its fine to swim in. I haven't gotten sick, grown any extra limbs nor did I see any shite or garbage floating around in the water. ive been to beaches in Europe, Barcelona notably, where the water looked more disgusting than in Toronto.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I've lived in TO my whole life. I'll never believe it's safe to swim in Lake Ontario, no matter what reports come out.

You're free to believe whatever you want, whether its true or not!
I believe I'll have another beer.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

stryker

TRIBE Member
I decided to "take the plunge" a few years back. Growing up in the city I was always of the thought that YOU NEVER GO IN THE LAKE.

It was super fun. freezing f*ing cold but that was the only issue. I've been in twice this summer and I didn't grow a tail or get sick.

stew :)

Primavera

TRIBE Member

you do realize Lake Ontario is fucking enourmous. It's the 13th biggest lake in the world.

I've swam in the lake probably a hundred times, the vast majority from Wards and Hanlans beach on the island and it's absolutely fine and safe to do so.

They do frequent water testing. The vast majority of the time if you go to either of those beaches you will find very very clean water.

Rage

TRIBE Member
^^^^

Feeds right into Lake Ontario.

Enjoy your swim time everyone!!! Hopefully your day will be less than 34,000 counts of E.coli

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
On a warm day, you can actually see the ecoli jumping out of the water in the keating channel.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
^^^^

Feeds right into Lake Ontario.

Enjoy your swim time everyone!!! Hopefully your day will be less than 34,000 counts of E.coli

hey be careful crossing the street today, I hear those intersections are dangerous

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
They have stopped taking water quality measurements for this year.

As a person who spends a lot of time in Lake Ontario, I have to say that this year the water quality around Toronto has been particularly bad visually (lots of floating stuff) and smelly too. I spend hours at a time in the water hunting for treasure and wear chest waders and rubber gauntlets in the dubious area.

I do swim though but generally on the South beaches of the island. Hanlans hasn't seemed so clean this year, in spite of the green-OK water tests.

I can't wait until the city starts issuing those sewage spill advisories.

diablo

TRIBE Member
I live right by the lake, and the absolutely putrid smells by the shore after the rain this week have confirmed my decision to continue to refrain from swimming in dear old Lake Ontario.

I must admit, I was wavering after seeing people swimming at the island beaches!

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
Don't swim at any Toronto beaches. They are gross. Stay away, especially on nice days, especially Bluffers because of parking.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
i've spent a fair bit of time on Lake Ontario this summer - mostly on a paddle board, but have also taken a dip in the lake on really hot days. I've had no issues with the water here and generally don't worry about it, though i do take care not to fall in on the day after a storm especially out by the R.H. Harris treatment plant LOL.