• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

swapping video cards & ram

Colm

TRIBE Member
g33ks, hi

I have a shoddy old computer at home running an nvidia geforce4 mx integrated & 512 ram, but a decent computer at work running an ati 'all in wonder' x600 and 1024 ram (I think its a dual stick). I'm planning on swapping thus upgrading my home computer (which I & my roomies use for all sorts of nonsense) and downgrading my work computer (which I use for accounting, email, and nothing which needs a gig o' ram or a relatively new video card).

Is this something I should even try?

What sort of information should I have before I attempt the switch?

Cheers.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
nah should be fine however double check that they're all compatible components.

I'd start with swapping the ram, once when that works try the video cards. You'll likely have to install the drivers from the website but its not a big deal.

scale of 1-10
ram is a 1
video card is a 2

Anakin

TRIBE Member
Colm said:
g33ks, hi

I have a shoddy old computer at home running an nvidia geforce4 mx integrated & 512 ram, but a decent computer at work running an ati 'all in wonder' x600 and 1024 ram (I think its a dual stick). I'm planning on swapping thus upgrading my home computer (which I & my roomies use for all sorts of nonsense) and downgrading my work computer (which I use for accounting, email, and nothing which needs a gig o' ram or a relatively new video card).

Is this something I should even try?

What sort of information should I have before I attempt the switch?

Cheers.

Well the Ram may not be compatable between the two, different speeds/types. It will be safe to test them by installing the memory and then trying to boot the computer. If it won't boot, make sure they are completely plugged in, and try again. If it still doesn't boot then it's not compatable.

For the graphics card, there are two probable types for the ATI X600, either an AGP card or a PCI-X Card. They are not interchangable, so if the ATI does not fit in the graphics slot, on your computer, it's over.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

keztronic

TRIBE Member
and if your old machine takes sd instead of ddr memory you're also screwed

*edit:actually nm if your old one has integrated geforce4 its newer then iwas thinking (2001-02?)

Last edited:

Colm

TRIBE Member
keztronic said:
and if your old machine takes sd instead of ddr memory you're also screwed

*edit:actually nm if your old one has integrated geforce4 its newer then iwas thinking (2001-02?)
My home one is from January 2004, and the work one August 2005.

Both systems use PCI slots. :)

How can I check which type of ram I have?

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Colm said:
My home one is from January 2004, and the work one August 2005.

Both systems use PCI slots. :)

How can I check which type of ram I have?
Are you sure both are using PCI slots for the video card?

You need to figure out what mother boards you have in the computers to figure out the RAM types. What are the brands/makes of the two computers?

Colm

TRIBE Member
coleridge said:
Are you sure both are using PCI slots for the video card?
I think so, how can I check to be certain?

coleridge said:
You need to figure out what mother boards you have in the computers to figure out the RAM types. What are the brands/makes of the two computers?
Hmm. The home computer isn't mine, and afaik, it is custom built. I think it has an AMD 64 1.8 ghz. The other is an HP, running a Pentium 4 cpu, 3.4 ghz 3.19 ghz.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Colm said:
I think so, how can I check to be certain?

Hmm. The home computer isn't mine, and afaik, it is custom built. I think it has an AMD 64 1.8 ghz. The other is an HP, running a Pentium 4 cpu, 3.4 ghz 3.19 ghz.
Download a diagnostic program like SiSoft Sandra http://www.sisoftware.net/

It will tell you what kind of video card you have. Will also tell you your RAM type.

nevesis

TRIBE Member
pull out one of the sticks of ram, and it should have a sticker on it with the needed information, you can always just try it in a diff computer. it wont harm it if it doesnt work it just wont work.

keztronic

TRIBE Member
by pci video i guess you mean pci express which is newer than agp.. its sorta lucky if your amd has it.. i bought my athlon 64 1.8 (3000) in jan 05 and at the time i think it was hard to find motherboards for AMDs and pci express.
hope it works out for you though...

Colm

TRIBE Member
Well.... it wasn't half bad. I didn't realise how easy it was to set up this shit. And people pay guys $60 - $70 bucks an hour to do it!

The home pc had the pci slot, but the new card was an AGP. Looks like I will be doing some shopping in a few weeks.

Is newegg.com any good?