• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

sushi-how much is too much?

lush191

TRIBE Member
lately i have been eating a lot of sushi(almost daily)--usually either tuna or salmon--anyway, does anyone know if eating this amount of raw fish is safe?(due to mercury levels etc.)

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
I used to eat sushi twice a week, it got pretty crazy.

Until two weeks ago, Monday night... I had my sushi dinner and then I spent the entire night and following day puking and shitting. It was the worst food poisoning I EVER experienced - so now, I can't even look at sushi, let alone eat it.

kuba

TRIBE Member
this thread is a snapshot of what's so funny and obnoxious about trybe

one person asks a medical question

another chimes in with their preference of sushi

!?!?!

:p

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
depends on the fish.

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/sushi.asp

PROTECT YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY
Guide to Mercury in Sushi

Women who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant should be especially careful about eating sushi. Many of the fish chosen for sushi are the apex predators of the fish food chain, which means they can bear high concentrations of mercury. The following list highlights sushi choices highest and lowest in mercury.

HIGHEST MERCURY
Avoid
Kajiki (swordfish)
Saba (mackerel)

HIGH MERCURY
Eat no more than three 6-ounce servings per month
Ahi (yellowfin tuna)1
Buri (adult yellowtail)2
Hamachi (young yellowtail)2
Inada (very young yellowtail)2
Kanpachi (very young yellowtail)2
Katsuo (bonito)2
Maguro (bigeye, bluefin* or yellowfin tuna)1
Makjiki (blue marlin)*
Masu (trout)
Meji (young bigeye, bluefin* or yellowfin tuna)1
Shiro (albacore tuna)
Toro (bigeye, bluefin* or yellowfin tuna)1

LOWER MERCURY
Eat no more than six 6-ounce servings per month
Kani (crab)
Seigo (young sea bass)*
Suzuki (sea bass)*

LOWEST MERCURY
Enjoy these fish
Aji (horse mackerel)2
Akagai (ark shell)
Anago (conger eel)
Aoyagi (round clam)
Awabi (abalone)
Ayu (sweetfish)
Ebi (shrimp)*
Hamaguri (clam)
Hamo (pike conger; sea eel)
Hatahata (sandfish)
Himo (ark shell)
Hokkigai (surf clam)
Hotategai (scallop)*
Ika (squid)
Ikura (salmon roe)
Kaibashira (shellfish)
Kaiware (daikon-radish sprouts)
Karei (flatfish)
Kohada (gizzard shad)
Masago (smelt egg)
Mirugai (surf clam)
Nori-tama (egg)
Sake (salmon)
Sawara (spanish mackerel)2
Sayori (halfbeak)
Shako (mantis shrimp)
Tai (sea bream)
Tairagai (razor-shell clam)
Tako (octopus)
Tamago (egg) Tobikko (flying fish egg)
Torigai (cockle)
Tsubugai (shellfish)
Unagi (freshwater eel)
Uni (sea urchin roe)

* Fish to avoid for reasons other than mercury: Fish and other types of seafood are marked with an asterisk above if any of their populations are depleted due to overfishing or if the methods used to catch them are especially damaging to other sea life or ocean habitats. To learn more, see the Monterey Bay Aquarium and the Blue Ocean Institute, both of which provide guides to fish to enjoy or avoid on the basis of environmental factors.

Sources for NRDC's guide: The data for this guide to mercury in fish comes from two federal agencies: the Food and Drug Information, which tests fish for mercury, and the Environmental Protection Agency, which determines mercury levels that it considers safe for women of childbearing age.

About the mercury-level categories: The categories on the list (highest mercury to lowest mercury) are determined according to the following mercury levels in the flesh of tested fish.

* Highest mercury: More than .55 parts per million
* High mercury: From 0.26 to 0.55 parts per million
* Lower mercury: From 0.12 to 0.25 parts per million
* Lowest mercury: Less than 0.12 parts per million

KiFe

TRIBE Member
I hear some of the fish are actually half-alive when they're being be-headed, skinned and processed into tiny delectable slices... where are the advocates now?

Fish aren't cute enough i guess.

I'll have a 5 piece toro sashimi and six advocate rolls please.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

dyad

TRIBE Member
well ive heard that sometimes fish are fully alive when we pull them out of the water their gills use to breathe. sometimes they are tangled in nets or have a hook through their skin

and some shelfish are boiled alive too

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
KiFe said:
I hear some of the fish are actually half-alive when they're being be-headed, skinned and processed into tiny delectable slices... where are the advocates now?

Fish aren't cute enough i guess.
It's true, they don't have fur or kewpie doll eyes so I don't feel bad.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
dyad said:
well ive heard that sometimes fish are fully alive when we pull them out of the water their gills use to breathe. sometimes they are tangled in nets or have a hook through their skin

and some shelfish are boiled alive too

We humans can be so shellfish sometimes!

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
I've heard that some fish are even manipulated into thinking that they will be eating a delicious worm, right before they are snatched from their homes and eaten (sometimes RAW) by humans!

That is physical AND emotional torture!

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Don't support the fish industry.. their inhuman treatment towards animals is... err.. inhuman!

>pickets<

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
KillaLadY said:
hmmm... normal, eh?

Hey I never suggested I qualified to any of the categories presented.

I highly doubt I qualify as a man in anyones views but the courts and maybe my doctors.

starr

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/iyh-vsv/environ/merc_e.html

I think for normal men its in the once a week phase. However realize that it never goes away so if that limit gets lowered in 5 years tough shit.
you skipped the important section in that quote

i was so skeptical that i actually read the site...the actual quote:

Predatory fish such as shark, swordfish, fresh and frozen tuna (not canned), have higher levels of mercury and should be consumed only occasionally. The health benefits of eating fish outweigh the risk of exposure to mercury if Health Canada consumption guidelines are followed. If you are an adult, limit your intake of these fish to no more than one meal per week. Pregnant women, women of child-bearing age and young children should be especially careful and limit their intake of these fish to no more than one meal a month.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
KiFe said:
i was at kaji last week for his 7 course tasting menu, celebrating a bday, and two of his sashimi pieces (one scallop-type fish and one prawn-type creature) were still twitching on the plate. in kowloon, it's pretty easy to find street-vendors that will serve you seafood still twitching. it takes a bit of getting used to, especially when it moves in your mouth.

none of that freaked me out like that PETA video though. raccoons and monkeys are more human-like, i guess (whether that means intelligence, physical size and/or other things), so we empathize more.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
I suspect walking to and from the sushi place is more toxic, and generally more dangerous than eating the food

so, order in, and cut your losses.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
starr said:
you skipped the important section in that quote

i was so skeptical that i actually read the site...the actual quote:
the man normally eats tuna he said, fresh at that!

However I have found conflicting stories in regards to salmon, countries that produce salmon all list it as very low, countries that don't list it much higher.