• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Surround sound sucks

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Low dialogue and overbearing everything else. Useless for apartments. Has anyone been annoyed with a neighbor's system? I just aborted a film out of fear of waking the building.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
James, you cannot stay on topic, even if it hit you in the face.
You're right...we hate it.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
It serves well as a stereo in daylight hours. It just never dawned on me that it would be pointless for evening film. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

praktik

TRIBE Member
It serves well as a stereo in daylight hours. It just never dawned on me that it would be pointless for evening film. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.
Even with the stereo - sometimes a movie forces me to turn on "night mode", which adds some compression i guess - sometimes I forget I've left it in this mode! But ya, some content without this is very hard to hear the dialogue. I thought the center channel in surround setups maybe made this better?? But I guess not

For me w/ the stereo setup it helps w/ some titles but really depends on the content and the mix, and maybe the ripper if its a rip?? Unsure how they can end up messing the file. I try to tune my software chain to the stereo endpoint so hopefully that is resulting in better performance for me.

Question tribe, I got these bad boys (in black) and they are amazing - such warmth and depth and clarity:

Polk RTA 11t loudspeaker

And my dad wants me to inherit these guys after their move this summer:

Mission M52

Pretty much thinking I should swap out the Polks and either lend them to a friend/sell them and use these guys eh??

praktik

TRIBE Member
Also - Lojack is a surround sound buff and should be here to defend it soon enough - I think he'll have some good points, maybe hes got some strategies to improve the mix for his setups he can share with you Snuffy

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Also - Lojack is a surround sound buff and should be here to defend it soon enough - I think he'll have some good points, maybe hes got some strategies to improve the mix for his setups he can share with you Snuffy
I've turned night mode to full, turned up the centre channel and turned off the subwoofer. Helps, but from what I've been reading, studios generally release what's in the theater to disc. It should be remixed for home, but that costs money. Netflix has been changing this, apparently, by demanding a stereo track with audible dialogue and a smaller dynamic range.

On the other hand, I've never heard a neighbor's TV. I can hear kids roughhousing above sometimes (bangs on the floor but no voices) but nothing else. It's a 1960s building and the walls are super thick concrete. I may just risk it on the weekend and hope nobody is bothered.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
I bitch and whine about poor sound quality in movies all the time. These days, most of the time I watch movies with the closed captions and subtitles on at home. Dialogue is key to me, so if I can't hear what they are saying because of an explosion or bullets being sprayed in the film I'm not happy. However, at the movie theatre I mostly pay for the premium auditoriums with the best surround sound such as an UltraAVX or IMAX theatre. If the film is encoded in Dolby Atmos, I'll only go to an ULtraAVX room specifically with Dolby Atmos surround sound (not all UltraAVX rooms have Dolby Atmos). If the theatre does not have ceiling speakers, it does not meet Dolby Atmos specifications and is a theatre missing this component for Dolby Atmos surround sound.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
If anything, buying a new sound system gave me more respect for a public theater. The system was worth it for music alone, thank goodness, but if I want to see something without feeling neighbouly guilt, I'm heading out.

The neighbors can suck it for Game of Thrones, though. I'm cranking it for that.