1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Surprise! F-35 fighters to cost twice as much as Harper Government suggested

Discussion in 'Politics (deprecated)' started by alexd, Mar 10, 2011.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

2. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Oh Lawd this'll be good.

3. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

So now Harper & friends are trying to hide the true cost of both their tough-on-crime superjails and the fighter jets. This will all hopefully blow up in their face just in time for the election.

4. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

5. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

I was expecting you to say it was Iggy's fault

6. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

now they're saying it will cost even more than the even more 30 billion..

7. Puma

Puma TRIBE Member

I think it is safe to say that the liberals will buy the F-35 if they get elected. First they will cancel the order and will pay a hefty fine for the cancellation. Then they will do a 2 year study at the cost of millions to the tax payer and come to the conclusion that the F-35 is the best option and then they will buy 30 of them at double the cost of what it would cost now.

Lets face it the F-18 are about 30 years old. The maintenance is costing more and more and its getting less and less worth to spend the money on these out date fighters. The liberals will be even more up the ass of the UN and NATO and if they want to be able to gallivant around the world enforcing UN and NATO no fly zones they will need new jets.

8. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Or we could wait for them to design a better plane, purhaps in canada even.

9. alexd

10. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

The US Navy has committed to use F-18 SuperHornets until 2040. Australia just put in an order for them. The Super hornet would be the ideal replacement jet for the Cf-18s we currently have.

To suggest Canada should pay 3 times (likely more) for an untested jet with stealth technology is retarded. We don't need stealth fighters to patrol our airspace.

Plenty of countries in NATO don't have stealth fighters. It's not some prerequisite. It's simply an expensive technology that has limited use and offers little bang for the buck. Canada shouldn't be funding the US military industrial complex.

11. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

Canada’s F-35s: Engines not included

Government will be required to provide powerplant for stealth fighters, documents show

Read more: Canada

12. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

13. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

then why the fuck are our Defense officials saying they are ?
    waiting until after the election to drop that bomb on us ?

14. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

oops. deleted! lol.. yeah.. I don`t know.

It just seems like they will just hide the jet overruns in later budgets at some point..

15. DJ Vuvu Zela

I'm sure if Canada was to buy the f-35 (which would be pure stupidity) we would have the engines included, but that's just a side issue. The real issue is what the cost is going to be, because there's no way in hell it will be $75 million, and the Harper government has to come clean on this before the election. (which of course they won't because Canadians are apathetic, and won't demand it)

16. Puma

Puma TRIBE Member

one thing that the MSM is not reporting on is that Canada would be getting the jets cheaper then other countries such as Norway for example.

17. DJ Vuvu Zela

what are you basing this on??? we have no idea what the price of the jets will be!

18. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

19. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

20. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

He just dismisses everything and does it the way he wants. Global warming, muzzling scientists, oil subsidies, suppressing documents, and so on. He gets called on it, he dismisses it as though he's not accountable to anyone. Or he prorogues.

21. alexd

At this point he is either cruising toward a majority or a minority. Both suck majorly.

22. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

minority is good. likely means rae will take over for iggy, and harper will finally retire after not being able to close the deal given 3 chances.

23. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

The idea that Bob Rae is more nationally palatable than Iggy amuses me.

24. alexd

Last night o the National at issue panel the people were talking about a potential future merger between the Liberals and the NDP... Imagine us witha two party system like the Americans... yikes

25. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

I don't see that happening in the near future. The At Issue panel has never been more out-to-lunch than during this election.