• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

support indie electronica...

neuphoria

TRIBE Member
recently posted info considered 'spam', thread now deleted. it was re: electronic music produced in toronto, a new indie release, which had recently been written about in the Toronto Star Anti-Hit list and big-upped by a well-know remixer (the quotes included to show 'validity'); the post was understated and simple, with a quick description of the music, and had a link to where you could hear track clips. (perhaps that was the crime.)

we've been reading posts on this site for a year, and had no reason to post till now. we were long time tribe mag readers--probably much longer than many on the board here-- and thought it very appropriate to drop info on a new dance music release, esp. as all 12 participants are from Canada, mostly Toronto. this is an indie project, no big label, no gov't grants, etc. and we rely on music lovers & djs to spread the word around--we found that ESP just doesn't work that well. (clearly the commentor on the original post didn't even like music enough to check out the link to clips of the music, as it was suggested it should've be put on the downtempo thread.)

too bad--but not surprising, as hey, they're free--that links to mp3s of mixtapes can be posted. why buy (i.e. support the artist) when you can download for free? how dare one post a link where, in this day and age of limited retail distribution and free downloading, you could actually buy a cd?

oh, if only we were Mylo, or Digweed, or Tiesto, or Lawler. Or Furtado. Or Paris Hilton... If there's already a lot of info out there on your stuff (ie you're famous) then its ok to have info on your stuff posted on Tribe.
(with such support for indie/local producers, no wonder rock remains the main form of music coming out of canada. )

Okay,okay, the above was blowing off steam...

now here's a question...

how does one inform the public of new music on a site related to music, without being accused of spam?

starr

TRIBE Member
pay for a banner ad

you should be able to afford it considering you're royalty and all (i just assumed with your constant use of "we" and "one").

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
neuphoria said:
recently posted info considered 'spam', thread now deleted. it was re: electronic music produced in toronto, a new indie release, which had recently been written about in the Toronto Star Anti-Hit list and big-upped by a well-know remixer (the quotes included to show 'validity'); the post was understated and simple, with a quick description of the music, and had a link to where you could hear track clips. (perhaps that was the crime.)

we've been reading posts on this site for a year, and had no reason to post till now. we were long time tribe mag readers--probably much longer than many on the board here-- and thought it very appropriate to drop info on a new dance music release, esp. as all 12 participants are from Canada, mostly Toronto. this is an indie project, no big label, no gov't grants, etc. and we rely on music lovers & djs to spread the word around--we found that ESP just doesn't work that well. (clearly the commentor on the original post didn't even like music enough to check out the link to clips of the music, as it was suggested it should've be put on the downtempo thread.)

too bad--but not surprising, as hey, they're free--that links to mp3s of mixtapes can be posted. why buy (i.e. support the artist) when you can download for free? how dare one post a link where, in this day and age of limited retail distribution and free downloading, you could actually buy a cd?

oh, if only we were Mylo, or Digweed, or Tiesto, or Lawler. Or Furtado. Or Paris Hilton... If there's already a lot of info out there on your stuff (ie you're famous) then its ok to have info on your stuff posted on Tribe.
(with such support for indie/local producers, no wonder rock remains the main form of music coming out of canada. )

Okay,okay, the above was blowing off steam...

now here's a question...

how does one inform the public of new music on a site related to music, without being accused of spam?

It doesn't and if you framed it in the way that you have here I would never have called oyu on it. However it looked like spam because of a couple reasons.

1) It was your first post
2) It was a post directed to link people off site while containing very little otehr information
3) It appeared to be of a commercial nature related to a music style that already has its own forum.

So this thread which is a discussion of indie electronica with n o commercial interests or links off site isn't spam, yet your previous thread really looked like spam.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

neuphoria

TRIBE Member
now we're being slammed for proper english? what a negative board. (we meaning those involved in project.)

littlejon

TRIBE Member
someone who has lurked for a year with the express interest in music promotion would perhaps have a better idea of the way the ban-hammer swings.

may i suggest a first post about how everyone on tribe is a drama stabby ass-hat?

~atp~

TRIBE Member
neuphoria, you aren't being slammed. Some of the people above have offered up some fair and balanced criticism. This board (thanks to alexd) remains relatively spam-free, or at least spam-contained ( ;) ).

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
try posting to yourself in one of the dead forums. Carry on a conversation with yourself. Then come back and try again here. you have to crawl before you can walk.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
neuphoria said:
now we're being slammed for proper english? what a negative board. (we meaning those involved in project.)

I'm not going to slam you in anyway shape or form unless your female and have free time on the weekend of July 1-3.

spam faq said:
8. A member whose posts' main purpose appears to redirect site traffic outside the TRIBE board with an URL or link to a commercial or retail site can be banned, their posts deleted, and/or or have the URL in their posts blocked site-wide.

Again not to be a dick but the other thread really looked like it was doing exactly what 8 describes. Again in the correct forum I doubt it would have been the subject of any negative attention. However the general forum is probably going to get it pointed out pretty darn quick.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
I think your problem is that you are coming into the general forum as a promoter.

If you have music that you'd like to bring to peoples attention, first of all do it in the proper room. General forum is more like a discussion room for things other than music.

Second of all, we aren't here to be advertized to by nobodies. This is a community. So if you are looking to exchange information with us, it'd be best to first of all introduce yourself, and maybe be part of this forum instead of just a billboard.

Thirdly, if you are here only to promote yourself or others, then you must realize that promoting isn't free on here and if you read the terms and conditions posted in every room and in your signup agreement. Others pay to do what you are attempting to do for free.

So, it's not that you aren't welcome, you are just going about it the wrong way.

neuphoria

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
It doesn't and if you framed it in the way that you have here I would never have called oyu on it. However it looked like spam because of a couple reasons.

1) It was your first post
2) It was a post directed to link people off site while containing very little otehr information
3) It appeared to be of a commercial nature related to a music style that already has its own forum.

So this thread which is a discussion of indie electronica with n o commercial interests or links off site isn't spam, yet your previous thread really looked like spam.
thanks ditto
b.t.w. we kept the post simple as not to preach, and cuz the link offsite has info re: descriptions of songs, and clips where people could actually hear it (and back buttons are easy) ; and the music is cross-genre, encompassing house, breakbeat, electro, downtempo... it's not a mix cd, and not finding a new music thread, posted it in general... not only that but we've seen other links to offsite sites (8 track etc.)

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
neuphoria said:
thanks ditto
b.t.w. we kept the post simple as not to preach, and cuz the link offsite has info re: descriptions of songs, and clips where people could actually hear it (and back buttons are easy) ; and the music is cross-genre, encompassing house, breakbeat, electro, downtempo... it's not a mix cd, and not finding a new music thread, posted it in general... not only that but we've seen other links to offsite sites (8 track etc.)

This isn't a heads of tails kind of thing. On some days your thread may have gone on without mention, on others it will be struck down in minutes, nature of the beast.

But litterally if your trying to promote yourself and music then promote it. Say that you just finished working on a project and although this is your first post you have been a lurker for some time. Say hello and introduce yourself and include your link as part of it.

I understand not wanting to be wordy, but most people on this board actually know one another.

what was the link again?

neuphoria

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
This isn't a heads of tails kind of thing. On some days your thread may have gone on without mention, on others it will be struck down in minutes, nature of the beast.

But litterally if your trying to promote yourself and music then promote it. Say that you just finished working on a project and although this is your first post you have been a lurker for some time. Say hello and introduce yourself and include your link as part of it.

I understand not wanting to be wordy, but most people on this board actually know one another.

what was the link again?
see your point ditto/watcher, hindsight yes we should have intro'd, but of course we've all seen posts where someone says "check out my new track " and they are just dabbling, or their dog made it and they've wasted your time by taking 2 min. to write a 5 minute track; by doing the post the way we did we--excuse me, "I"--were establishing the 'pro' (vs.'just a hobby') commitment.

(oh and 'bumblacat', and 'starr', very welcoming, thanks. we feel the community love. and the watcher, if we/i paid for an announcement for the cd here, then you'd consider it more worthy of being read? you'd be more likely to read an ad? c'mon...)

~atp~

TRIBE Member
The point is "community" neuphoria. If you want to engage people about your music, become our virtual friend first. lol. I love saying that.

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
neuphoria said:

See I knew you've never been here before or else you'd know

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
neuphoria said:
(oh and 'bumblacat', and 'starr', very welcoming, thanks. we feel the community love.

become part of the community first. Don't make your first post an ad and your second post a complaint about the board. Driving you out is love for the community.

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
make a dj mix and promote the mix.... lots of indie producers do that. (i being one of them) that way not only is your music getting out there, but you're giving something back to the community and sharing other peoples work too...

power in numbers!

you promoting 1 tune = small impact.

15 people promoting 1 mix = much larger impact.

check the dj mix forum and see all the ppl doing just what you wanted to do originally.... promote and share music..... e-gad! :p

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
neuphoria said:
and the watcher, if we/i paid for an announcement for the cd here, then you'd consider it more worthy of being read? you'd be more likely to read an ad? c'mon...)
Nah...
If ya want people to listen to your track(s), make it available in the proper room(House/Trance/Breaks/Hardcore/Whatever), put direct links to your music for download (to the MP3 or WAV or whatever), and ask for feedback.

Be a person on a messageboard, not an entity trying to promote itself. Your mistake was being too much like a spambot. We see it all the time, and when we do, we speak up and the threads like those get deleted.

Just appreciate the idea that we aren't here to be sold to. We are all people on here for the same reasons, for information, music, conversation, fun, waste time, anything really... but if I wanted to be sold to, I'd disable pop ups and go browsing the internet instead of hanging on my little safehaven I like to call Tribe which is almost spam free since '93:D thanks to AlexD!.

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
also there's always the producer forum*...... tadaa!

* if you want to share your tracks and don't mind people commenting about it.

chooch

TRIBE Member
what whine goes well with spam?

neuphoria....come on...take some ribbing from us! we all just need someone new to play with! :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders