• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Support a good cause...though it may cause me not to be able to have babies

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
Hey fellow Tribers, gonna throw this out there. I'm doing a bike relay from Oakville to Austin, Texas in support of an organization called Wellspring. They are completely funded by donations and provide programs for cancer patients, cancer survivors and their families.

To join this ride, the minimum I have to raise is $10,000.00. Thinking I'm a big shot I decided to set my goal to $15,000.00. I'm starting to think I was a dummy for doing so but in the end it's for a good cause so if it causes me to throw a few more events it'll be worth it.

So Tribers, I'm looking at you to help support this ride and donate what you can to my donation page: Daniel Lau's Personal Page for 2013 Wellspring Peloton Challenge

You can find out more info about the programs they have at: Wellspring - Wellspring Cancer Support Network

I'm not a rich guy, I don't have a lot of cash. I'm doing this on a 16 year old aluminum bike so this may cause some reproductive issues I'm told =P

I'm also planning to put together a night at a club/bar in the summertime and see if I can raise funds that way too. If you have links to a spot that would be receptive to such a thing, please let me know via PM.

If anyone has any leads on corporate sponsorship let me also know via PM. They can get their logo on our support van, team shirts and media stuff which is great PR.

Hope this finds you all doing well!

Daniel

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
My portion of the ride is 120km a day for 8 days. I'm planning on riding 4 days a week and 1 day of running.

I am doing the ottawa super gran fondo in July which is 220km race in one day. I figure I'll use that as a test to see if I really need a new bike.

That all said, I haven't ridden more than 30km in one day in my life....I dig the challenge of it all.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
i dont think it will be that hard at all, i regularly ride 45-60 km a day in and about toronto on a zero suspension fixie in the nicer weather. IM OFFICIALLY DONE WITH WINTER -_-

get a good seat and i dont think it would be hard at all to do 120km a day. however doing 120km a day for 8 days straight might be a feat if you dont start training for it, your body might want to quit after a few days.

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
i dont think it will be that hard at all, i regularly ride 45-60 km a day in and about toronto on a zero suspension fixie in the nicer weather. IM OFFICIALLY DONE WITH WINTER -_-

get a good seat and i dont think it would be hard at all to do 120km a day. however doing 120km a day for 8 days straight might be a feat if you dont start training for it, your body might want to quit after a few days.
I have to train for the half marathon on May 5 first before I put a ton of hours into riding. This half marathon is exactly a year and a day from when I partially tore my achilles. After that it's all riding all the time!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
i dont think it will be that hard at all, i regularly ride 45-60 km a day in and about toronto
A day? Wow. That's no light commute.

That said, a big trip like this will have some major climbs and descents. Toronto is a relatively flat city. There's no way you could take your fixie on a trip like this.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
30km to 120km? That's huge. I've been with a cycling club for almost a year and the most i've been able to do is about 70ish in a single ride, with all carbon rode bike. Start your training now.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
A day? Wow. That's no light commute.

That said, a big trip like this will have some major climbs and descents. Toronto is a relatively flat city. There's no way you could take your fixie on a trip like this.
Commute was 20km a day, then i would ride to the west end either then junction or parkdale adding another 25 - 30 km, not including little excursions, but i agree, not alot of large hills etc.

thats why i said with a good seat, and assuming his is geared, he wouldnt have too much of an issue if he starts riding 40-60km a day when training !

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
30km to 120km? That's huge. I've been with a cycling club for almost a year and the most i've been able to do is about 70ish in a single ride, with all carbon rode bike. Start your training now.
of course 30km to 120km is large, im assuming since he said per day he doesnt have to do the full 120km in a single ride. and could break it up into 30km or 40 km legs.

is he averages on 25-30km/hr then it will take him 4-5 hours a day depending on terrain.

i think its quite doable since i was able to ride 45-60 a day while working full time.

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
yep, 120km per day for 8 days riding at about 28km/h.

My bro did it last year and he hadn't ridden at all since he was 15 and started training in March.

I'm more worried about the 220km race in July in Ottawa. I heard it's mad hilly.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

lucky1

TRIBE Member
When is your event? You running training will offer some cross training value, but it doesn't do stuff like get your butt conditioned to spend a week in the saddle :/

Do you ride clipped in? After switching to cycling shoes/ pedals my legs are more balanced in the muslce use, because I'm doing both push/pull on the pedals.

I've done the Ride to Conquer Cancer a few times, fundraising can be hard, especially if you hit of the same friends multiple times. Start working on donations for a silent auction, ask everyone you know! Also 50/50 daraws are easy to do. Does your work do matched donations? (mine doesn't since I work for the government, but some do) Think about selling something, pictures, calenders, baking? Community garage sale? my freind had a backyard BBQ and sold hotdogs pop, burgers, (and beer shhh;) ) to friends for a few bucks each.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
28Km/hr is about where I ride, (between 25-30 depending on winds etc) I don't know where your fitness is ride now, but it has taken me about 2 years of solid riding to maintain that pace over long rides. (>60km) Easy enough at the beginning, but as your legs get tired, or there are strong headwinds or hills, it gets hard to keep those legs turning! :p

Last edited:

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
Thanks dude, we already have a few events planned......still have no idea how it's going to add up to $10k.....a bit of a freak out going on right now haha.

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
You have the whole summer to do your fundraising!

Don't throw your own event. I would approach some promoters (Bounce, Promise, etc.) and ask if you can "pass the hat" at some outdoor summer events. Find friends who might be willing to help you do so. The key when you pass the hat is to tell people you accept very generous donations -- say it jokingly but say, "No I'm serious" -- I've had great success telling people I accept $20 donations.

Also mention that you accept Visa, Mastercard... have a small flyer with your web address that they can keep if they don't have cash and want to make a donation later.

Alternately, you could ask a promoter or a club owner if their door-person could ask if peeps would like to make a $5 or $10 donation to the Wellspring Cancer Support Network when they're paying for cover. You could have a poster about the event at the door to make it more legit.

An office idea would be to get a coffee donation from Starbucks and/or Second Cup. Let work peeps know that they'll be able to buy their coffee from you on 2 or 3 consecutive Fridays (one Friday you get coffee from Second Cup, one Friday you get coffee from Starbucks, then from Tim Horton's). I find the big coffee places are pretty quick to donate coffee for a good cause.

Depending on where you work, I would totally ask for a corporate donation, or donation matching for a specific event you do at work.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
I have to train for the half marathon on May 5 first before I put a ton of hours into riding. This half marathon is exactly a year and a day from when I partially tore my achilles. After that it's all riding all the time!
You haven't started training for the half marathon yet? Have you run one before?

Good luck on your cycling trip. That sounds really intense!

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
Ran the good life half 2 years ago on 6 weeks training and ran it in 1:49. Shooting for sub 1:40 this year but this achilles is holding me back

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
You have the whole summer to do your fundraising!

Don't throw your own event. I would approach some promoters (Bounce, Promise, etc.) and ask if you can "pass the hat" at some outdoor summer events. Find friends who might be willing to help you do so. The key when you pass the hat is to tell people you accept very generous donations -- say it jokingly but say, "No I'm serious" -- I've had great success telling people I accept $20 donations.

Also mention that you accept Visa, Mastercard... have a small flyer with your web address that they can keep if they don't have cash and want to make a donation later.

Alternately, you could ask a promoter or a club owner if their door-person could ask if peeps would like to make a $5 or $10 donation to the Wellspring Cancer Support Network when they're paying for cover. You could have a poster about the event at the door to make it more legit.

An office idea would be to get a coffee donation from Starbucks and/or Second Cup. Let work peeps know that they'll be able to buy their coffee from you on 2 or 3 consecutive Fridays (one Friday you get coffee from Second Cup, one Friday you get coffee from Starbucks, then from Tim Horton's). I find the big coffee places are pretty quick to donate coffee for a good cause.

Depending on where you work, I would totally ask for a corporate donation, or donation matching for a specific event you do at work.
Fantastic ideas! I appreciate the suggestions. I'm going to try the coffee one for sure.