• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

SUPERHERO MOVIES - Reviews With Spoilers

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
Haven't seen it yet but with a villian like Apocalypse this should have been 2 movies. Hopefully Mr Sinister is the next villian and it touches on the mutant massacre

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

stryker

TRIBE Member
Saw X-Men last night. I'm super happy that I liked it.

IMO it's probably in the top 3 behind First Class, and I'm not sure which one would be second (DOTP or X-MEN), but I know that this was in the top 3.

I'm getting sick of the VFX particle/stream destruction showing up in super hero movies these days. Maybe it works in the story phase but on screen I just don't think it's ever been done well (Green Lantern, MoS, DoJ, etc..).

Other than that I was really happy with it. Apocalypse was well acted but I think they totally screwed up on his character design. I also would have liked a little more giantism.

The Weapon X sequence was f*ing awesome. The initial pyramid battle was great, especially the pretzel bit. I really liked that they're going a little darker in the violence. I can't wait for the next Logan movie. (Thank you Deadpool!!)

It's definitely got it's cheesy moments. It is no Winter Soldier but it's waaaay better than DoJ.

Cyclops was done especially well, which was weird because he's usually such a douche that I'm not rooting for him. Fassbender's Magneto is one of my fav comic book portrayals. I think he nails it perfectly. I was sooo hoping he would do a planet M with rubble.

Olivia Munn is hot. Hopefully she'll work on her acting chops and grow into the role but it was clear she was there for eye candy.

Quicksilver is funny but I hope they don't keep using him in future movies to save the day. It's lazy.

It lost my shit with the sentinels at the end. I was humming the cartoon theme song for like an hour afterwards.

If you're a fan I would recommend seeing it. It's well done. Not of the same calibre as the Dark Knight Trilogy, nor the Cap Movies but definitely better than most of the other crap that's out there.

Stew :)

The Return of the Jedi crack was hilarious.

X Men was okay, but didn't need to be two and a half hours. There's a complete digression about halfway through that goes back to X2 territory, and really doesn't serve any kind of real point, other than to feature a nearly 20 minute cameo that didn't advance the plot at all. Fassbender however, is really, really good in this - with what little screen time he has, he really manages to sell a very tragic angle to Magneto's character and past.

It still looks great, but pales in comparison to how great First Class and Days of Future Past were.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
X-Men: Apocalypse

I finally got around to watching the latest X-flick and am sad to say that I did not like it very much. It had a few decent scenes, but overall the plot was thin, Apocalypse was one-dimensional (a true lost opportunity), the script/dialogue was painful at times, the jokes fell flat, the action choreography was boring (not nearly in the same league as CIVIL WAR), the costumes were TV-calibre and the new cast was terrible.

Sansa Stark was horrendous as Jean Grey. Completely wrong, not nearly pretty enough, bad actress.

Cyclops was all wrong. Angel was all wrong. Jubilee looked retarded. Quicksilver was okay.

I think Simon Kinberg (the writer) is horrible, and I think Bryan Singer needs to stay away from the X-Men.

I have little interest in seeing the next X-Men movie unless they really change things up.

It is a testament to Marvel and the Russo Brothers, who seem to hit every note perfectly, to see how horribly wrong DC and Fox always seem to get it.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Watched BvsS the Ultimate Edition. I get run time becomes a thing in theaters. However as a person who fell asleep, then hammered the movie first time around in the theatres. I have now been converted. It actually tells the story now. scenes that might not have made sense to the... uninitiated. now makes sense. The movie comes together much different and much more enjoyable.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
I finally got around to watching the latest X-flick and am sad to say that I did not like it very much. It had a few decent scenes, but overall the plot was thin, Apocalypse was one-dimensional (a true lost opportunity), the script/dialogue was painful at times, the jokes fell flat, the action choreography was boring (not nearly in the same league as CIVIL WAR), the costumes were TV-calibre and the new cast was terrible.

Sansa Stark was horrendous as Jean Grey. Completely wrong, not nearly pretty enough, bad actress.

Cyclops was all wrong. Angel was all wrong. Jubilee looked retarded. Quicksilver was okay.

I think Simon Kinberg (the writer) is horrible, and I think Bryan Singer needs to stay away from the X-Men.

I have little interest in seeing the next X-Men movie unless they really change things up.

It is a testament to Marvel and the Russo Brothers, who seem to hit every note perfectly, to see how horribly wrong DC and Fox always seem to get it.
What are you talking about? Apocalypse was a good movie. Just doesn't hold up to first class and days. Apocalypse should not have been the main villian. Should have been Mr sinister. Ah well. New mutants is next

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Sansa is pretty, but she is just not - in my humble opinion - pretty enough to be Jean Grey, who should be drop-dead gorgeous. If you google "pretty redhead" or "pretty redhead actress," there are at least 10 ladies on the first page that would have been a better choice for Jean Grey. I know I sound like a jerk/pig for this comment, but there you have it. That said, looks would not be a factor if she was an amazing actress.

I didn't think Shailene Woodley was pretty enough to be Mary Jane Watson, but I was very excited when she was cast in that role (which ultimately fell through) because she is a tremendous actress. Sansa Stark on the other hand is a weak actress.

I thought her scenes with Cyclops, which was also not a great casting choice, were painful when they should have been charming, touching and special.

It is a shame the movie-makers keep trying to turn Mystique into a pivotal X-Men character, so that they can use Jennifer Lawrence, rather than do justice to proper characters like Angel.

Apocalypse and Magneto are boring villains, in that their powers consist of making gestures and constipated facial expressions while energy/objects whirl around them. This makes for boring choreography and action sequences. Apocalypse's motivations for wanting to destroy the world are not explained, which makes it silly that characters who should have strong (even if misguided) moral centres (Magneto, Storm, Angel, Psylocke) would join him willingly.

The opening sequence where the rebels bring the entire pyramid crashing down by knocking out the legs of a single stone block was ridiculous.

I am unconvinced that a new movie featuring Mr. Sinister would do well. Mr. Sinister is small potatoes compared to Apocalypse, so having Sinister as the next movie's villain would seem like a regression.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Watched BvsS the Ultimate Edition. I get run time becomes a thing in theaters. However as a person who fell asleep, then hammered the movie first time around in the theatres. I have now been converted. It actually tells the story now. scenes that might not have made sense to the... uninitiated. now makes sense. The movie comes together much different and much more enjoyable.

i'm waiting for a BDRIP to become available. then i'll give the extended version a shot.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
^ i could only find WEBRIPs. i could not find a BDRIP, which is better quality. usually, the BDRIPs come out a week or two after the WEBRIPs.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member

Just watched it at home, 3 hours wasnt too bad, i was pretty captivated through it and quite enjoyed how they pulled it off.

I have to say, the one thing i REALLY liked, was unecessary bulltshit humor littered throughout the movie like you get with the marvel movies.

i thought they did a decent job setting up what is coming for people in the know. overall, i say solid movie.

I dont know how much they cut out, but Ult edition, Im glad i chose to wait and download it :)

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Like I said ripped the movie the moment I came out of the theaters. I now quite enjoyed this version.

The Puppet Mastering of Lex Luthor is much more pronounced in this version. Which really helps tie the whole movie together.

And yes even the lead in to the JL.

Last edited:

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
DR. STRANGE

By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth, this movie was amazing! It surpassed my expectations and improved in many ways on the comic book character.

Benedict Cumberbatch is always awesome. While his American accent is fine, I do think the character might have worked better with Cumberbatch's regular English accent. It is not critical to the Dr. Strange character that he be born in the U.S. They could have explained that the character was born in U.K. and then moved to the U.S. to attend med school or practice surgery. Cumberbatch's trademark fast delivery as the smartest man in the room (i.e. Sherlock and Kahn) seemed a bit off with the American accent. This is a very minor point, though, as his arrogance was still very fun to watch.

I really look forward to seeing Stephen Strange meet Tony Stark. Both are characters that are hilariously over-the-top arrogant, so it will be interesting to see them match wits and try to out-do each other. When Tony Stark met Bruce Banner, Stark respected Banner's brilliance but Banner seemed to concede that Stark was the smarter of the two. Strange may consider himself smarter than Stark, and Stark has already admitted to not believing/respecting mysticism/magic (thinking all, even Thor/Asgard, can be explained by science), so it has the potential to be the best moment yet in the MCU.

Tilda Swinton is great as The Ancient One, and the rest of the supporting cast is solid.

My biggest concern before seeing the movie was that the magic/fighting scenes would be boring, like the boring scenes of Apocalypse fighting Magneto with each character being surrounded by energy and matter swirling everywhere. This is one area where the filmmakers have improved upon the comic books. They managed to give physical form/rules to the magic, and allow the magic to be part of what are otherwise physical and brilliantly choreographed fight scenes. The bending of reality scenes are intricate and creative, and I never thought martial arts would be part of Dr. Strange's fights with other sorcerors.

The Cloak of Levitation is awesome. Although you can see influences from things like the carpet from Aladdin, it all works perfectly in this film.

The reveal that the Eye of Agamotto is really an Infinity Stone, the Time Stone most likely, was interesting. Hopefully this means that Dr. Strange will lose the ability to manipulate time in the next Avengers movie, as it's simply too great a power. When he reversed time to stop the Hong Kong Sanctum from being destroyed, also bringing Wong back to life, one could not help but wonder why he didn't reverse time to bring The Ancient One back as well.

This is another home-run for the MCU. If Dr. Strange does, indeed, show up in Thor 3 - resulting in a team-up between Thor, Hulk and Dr. Strange - that would be simply amazing. It's a great time to be a comic book fan.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Dr Strange is hands down the best 3D movie ever made. i actually think you are missing quite a lot if you don't see it in 3d.

stryker

TRIBE Member
I wasn't sure how/if they were going to pull this one off, especially after IMO, the nonsense of the Scarlett Witch from Ultron (the ravey contact glass hand movements seemed ridiculous). These were also slightly ridiculous but it really works. I loved Dr Strange. He's in my top 3 of favorite Marvel characters so I had very high hopes going into this. I also feel that they were successful in their attempts to do the whole Astral Plane fighting stuff. Cool but silly and could easily have gone very stupid, very fast. Crisis averted. The entire visual feel was just unbelievable. It was like a Christopher Nolan wet dream.

I have similar thoughts to KMW about the particle effects. While watching I was thinking how happy I was to see actual building elements getting thrown around vs particle vortexes.

They only negative i have is the portrayal of Dormammu. Granted, this was the best depiction on cinema of gigantic quasi formless entity (vs Green Lantern, Galactus, etc.). He was super trippy and it was enjoyable but I hope future MCU sticks with hominids/bipeds.

I thought the white washing of the Ancient One was executed and handled well vs turning him into Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China. I'm super excited to see more of Mordo, he looks to be one of the best bad guys in the MCU. I didn't stick around for the final, final credit scene but i've heard about it. Need to find the clip online asap.

Overall, I can't wait to see this again!

If you're not going to see this in 3D AVX you're insane. It was such a trip.

stew

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
How is the 3D production quality?

I found i didnt get a headache with Avatars 3D, but have from other movies that when overboard, over rich, and basically made shit 3D just for fun, rather than asking, does it really need it or not?

I did just see Miss Peregrine's home for Peculiar Children at the VIP at Eglinton, and didnt get a headache, but they also didnt go to crazy.

Anyone else not like 3D movies for the most part? and saw this in 3D?

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Don't like 3D - agreed with you about Avatar, it wowed me - though I will see this in 3D.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
yes it needs 3d. the escher-like sequences are so perfect for 3d. and there is an "LSD trip" kinda sequence that is beyond anything I've ever seen and the 3d pushes it over the top.

can't wait to see it on my 3d tv too because I've found 3d is way better on a tv. I don't find there is that awkward adjustment period I always go through in the theatre.