• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

SUPERHERO MOVIE UPDATES

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by lok
gay, geek and italian... that could possibly be a fate worse than death.

Yeah, I'd probably love them more if you were gay,a geek and non-caucasion, but hey, you can't win them all.

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Klubmasta Will
thanks! so, there are books, comics and DVD cartoon movies? anything else? which DVDs can i rent to get a flavour?

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewcategory.php?id=1

The link is just to show what's out there for those interested.

The first episodes of Macross were called First Contact. I think the second and third was Transformation and Homecoming. Just get the first video or DVD in the Macross series. That will get you started.

The second volume was called Southern Cross. The third was called New Generation. The forth never came to Canada as far as I know but you can buy it. It's called The Sentinals.

You can buy the ENTIRE MACROSS show in a boxed set (and this just became my top DVD priority.)

I didn't know it came out. g-g-g-Damn!

Look at that picture of Crispen Glover. That sallow fucker won't need any make-up! He is The Joker.

lok

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lysistrata
Yeah, I'd probably love them more if you were gay,a geek and non-caucasion, but hey, you can't win them all.
I'll take the wop sex aura thanks :)

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
One thing that you can't deny is that, it will be a daunting task for Glover to top Nicholson's portrayal of Joker.
Or even Mark Hamill's version. (Hamill did the voice for Joker in the Batman cartoon that ran during the early 90's)

That'd be such an awesome roll to play..

I WANNA BE THE JOKER!
HAAA!!! haahahahhahahahhaha1!!!!!

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vox
crispin glover is a god among men.

that is all.
I endured Charlie's Angels twice so that I could watch him fight. I couldn't believe how cool he looked. He is such an amazing physical actor.

The man needs to work more.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Tesseract
One thing that you can't deny is that, it will be a daunting task for Glover to top Nicholson's portrayal of Joker.
Or even Mark Hamill's version. (Hamill did the voice for Joker in the Batman cartoon that ran during the early 90's)

That'd be such an awesome roll to play..

I WANNA BE THE JOKER!
HAAA!!! haahahahhahahahhaha1!!!!!
Personally I think Jack Nicholson was a little too Jack Nicholson. He was good, but he was a little to un-sinister for me!

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
No, I found it on bit torrent. :)

It's about the ship having crashed on earth, with the earth still at war, and the Veritechs being in the prototype stage. Protoculture hasn't been harnessed, and Roy Folker is involved in the battle for an island that is resistant to modern civilisation. The first episode is a pretty amazing buildup to an astonishing veritech battle in the second episode. No sign of Zor, and there's only two episodes, with a third that should be available by around xmas.
I have the Robotech graphic novel which is supposed to be the prequel to the SDF-1 crashing on Earth.

Zor prime was piloting in when it crashed on Earth.

And it contained vast qauntities of protoculture.
;)

Originally posted by Evil Dynovac
In the twelve book novelisation of Macross this was the prologue of the first book. I'm glad they decided to animate it because it's a good story - The birth of Macross Island.
Macross Zero takes place even before the novel

And yes, Keith, You did bring it to my attention. I just found the episodes on Bit Torrent.

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Hi i'm God
If you can make a hit out of Toby maguire as spider man and that horrid Kristen Dunst as MaryJane then you can easly make dozens of great x-men movies.
Agreed...

Worst casting of Mary Jane ever!

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by lok
Mechwarrior>Robotech.

Innersphere baby!
Bah!!

Mech warrior wouldn't be around if it wasn't for shows like Robotech.

This results from protoculture?
:D :D :D

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Will, Robotech is a great story. Extremely well written. On top of being epic battles and the fight to save earth it follows the story of a young fighter pilot, a tactical officer, and a pop-singer/teen idol - all of them aboard a space ship that has a city inside.

Besides D&D
Robotech is even more interesting considering the 3 different story lines, Macross, Sothern Cross, and Mospeda (Invid invasion) are actually 3 completley seperate stories which have nothing to do with each other or robotech.

Robotech took 3 different shows and completey rewrote the story, using the imges available.

Now that's amazing.

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
Macross Zero takes place even before the novel
I'm aware but wouldn't recommend starting to watch it there for a newbie.

If Will is going to grab a couple DVDs and start checking it out I think he should start with the originals and watch it the way everyone else did, oldish art and all.

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by lok
It doesnt change the fact that Mechwarrior>robotech :)
Ah but it does...

Robotech is one of the most brilliant animated stories I've ever seen.

Robotechnology kills mech warrior.

The destroids in Robotech alone could mash up any mech out there.

lok

TRIBE Member
Just like the Enterprise could mess up a Star Destroyer? :)

Mech Warrior is just cooler looking. And more personal.

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter

If Will is going to grab a couple DVDs and start checking it out I think he should start with the originals and watch it the way everyone else did, oldish art and all.
Agreed...

And you can skip Southern cross if you like.

Just cause the cyclones and alpha fighters in the New generation are soo dope.

I still want a cyclone.

Now that's a motorcycle!

Okay, I see what you're saying. And yeah, Will, definitely grab the Robotech Macross series DVD's. It's the best series of the three, and the one with the most character development and largest story arc. Afterwards you might want to check out Macross Plus the movie and then perhaps try and track down Macross Zero.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
Personally I think Jack Nicholson was a little too Jack Nicholson. He was good, but he was a little to un-sinister for me!
the joker that batfans want to see is the joker that (i) crippled barbara gordon (a.k.a. batgirl), breaking her spine and then photographing her naked and being raped by his gang, (ii) beat the shit out of commissioner gordon before putting him in a cage, naked, and torturing him with images of his naked daughter being beaten and defiled, (iii) beat jason todd (a.k.a robin) to DEATH with a crowbar, etc. etc. etc.

those of you unfamiliar with 'THE KILLING JOKE' by alan moore can see the whole thing online at:

http://ksacomics.com/killing/1.htm

ps. thanks for the robotech tips guys. i'll try to rent the DVDs.

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
While Macross is certainly the best of the three shows the others more than have their shining points.

I love the main character in Southern Cross and I'm sorry, but those tank mecha are bloody awesome.

When I saw the first episode of New Generation and the bike transformed around the guy I plotzed!!! The Invid were a wicked enemy and the Shadow Fighters at the end were very cool too.

The whole Robotech franchised owns everything done with animation until Batman TAS came out. Every robot (including Mechwarrior) needs to bow to them because they set the standard. Robotech did for robots what the Alien movies did for aliens. No one can now draw a robot without taking something from the series.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Actually... now that i think of it... I know ther perfect man to play Joker.

Michel Courtemanche.

Anyone who watched Just For Laughs, will agree.
He's got the face, and the physical acting ability to do it.

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
While Macross is certainly the best of the three shows the others more than have their shining points.

I love the main character in Southern Cross and I'm sorry, but those tank mecha are bloody awesome.

When I saw the first episode of New Generation and the bike transformed around the guy I plotzed!!! The Invid were a wicked enemy and the Shadow Fighters at the end were very cool too.

The whole Robotech franchised owns everything done with animation until Batman TAS came out. Every robot (including Mechwarrior) needs to bow to them because they set the standard. Robotech did for robots what the Alien movies did for aliens. No one can now draw a robot without taking something from the series.
I agree..
And the invid were sick too!!

I too shit myself when I first saw the cyclones.
But you have to admit, it was even cooler when they pulled out the alpha fighters and you could ride your bike right into the pilots seat.

And the Beta fighters were sick too..

One of the best parts of Robotech was they way they drew the barrages of missles.

Like Macfarlanes spidy webs, these clusters of missiles made the show look amazing.

I liked Southern Cross too, and I still have a hover tank at home.