1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

SUPERHERO MOVIE UPDATES

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Klubmasta Will, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse trailer is out:

As much as I am looking forward to Miles Morales being introduced to mainstream audiences, I am not sold on this film, based on the trailer. The animation looks interesting but, again, I'm not sold on it. Peter Parker's voice is weird, and why is he sitting in a restaurant with his Spidey suit visible under his shirt?

2. Klubmasta Will

3. That's too bad. I thought he made a great Superman - but hearing that Michael B Jordan might be his replacement? Yikes, there's gonna be an uproar over that, and how the hell do you sell a casting switch like that to a crowd that insists on orthodoxy?

Wonder if his leaving was under the same pretenses as Affleck wanting out.

4. Klubmasta Will

Lots of waves being made by the Henry Cavill news:

* https://ca.ign.com/articles/2018/09...ting-to-henry-cavill-no-longer-being-superman
    * https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/0...-weird-video-in-wake-of-superman-exit-reports
    * https://ca.ign.com/articles/2018/09...erman-anymore?abthid=5b99abe4b3c3a0745300008b

My take is that Warner Bros and Henry Cavill are negotiating future compensation. Cavill may be seeking Avengers-level cash, and is trying to rally internet outrage to make his position stronger. I don't put much stock in the Michael B. Jordan rumour, as WB would likely consider dozens of actors for the role, and i think the rumour is just click-bait designed to fuel fanboy/racist outrage.

5. You think Jon Hamm might take the cowl? He seems a bit old for Batman at this stage in the DC Universe.

6. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

Internet rumours indicate that Sony isn't learning from the MCU example, rewriting a huge portion of Venom's backstory, no reference to Peter Parker, and the movie is tame in terms of symbiote-related violence.

I think it's a download for a Sunday afternoon when it drops. Shame, Tom Hardy was a promising glimmer of hope.

7. Klubmasta Will

Don Draper would make an interesting older Bruce Wayne. I think they should go younger for the next one, though. It would be nice to see a young Bruce and a young Clarke meet for the first time, as both of them are starting out. I'm not sure this is possible, though, if they want the DC movie universe to continue with Gal Gadot and the other actors in place.

The DC movie universe is a dumpster fire. It's hard to imagine that it could have gone so horribly wrong given the incredible popularity of the characters and the decades worth of rich storytelling history. They chose to ignore all the fans/critics who despised Man of Steel and then doubled down, then tripled down, on the same creative team. So sad.

8. Klubmasta Will

I have almost zero interest in the Venom movie, and I'm a guy that has followed the character since his first appearance in The Amazing Spider-Man #299-300, and the first appearance of the black costume in ASM #252 / Secret Wars #8 (all comics that I still own, by the way, in near-mint condition :)). In other words, I am smack dab in the centre of this movie's target audience.

To be honest, I never loved Venom as a character, and I thought the character got stupider-looking over the years as new artists made his teeth larger and his tentacle tongue more ridiculous. The original Venom storyline from ASM #299-300 is still excellent, as were the next few Venom story arcs, largely because Venom was the only villain that did not trigger Spider-man's spider-sense and he knew Peter Parker's secret identity so he could torture Peter by befriending Aunt May and showing up for dinner uninvited.

The trailers for Venom are terrible, cringe-worthy even.

This may be very bad news for Sony who reportedly is developing a Spider-verse of movies, next to feature Morbius and then Silver & Black (being Silver Sable and Black Cat). I think these are all horrible ideas.

Part of me hopes that Venom fails so badly that Sony stops making Spidey-flicks and Marvel Studios gets, buys or licenses back the rights to the character. Spidey and friends belong in the MCU.

9. They gave it a PG 13 rating. Not a good sign at all.

10. I think they really need to stop looking at Marvel and trying to copy what they're doing, but on their own terms. Also, I don't think that DC has nearly as much control over their own property, probably because of the deal they made with Warner Bros back in the day (and likely hasn't been updated). I get a feeling that a lot of studio interference is causing the issues with the casting.

But the thing is too, despite they shouldn't try to emulate Marvel, they're coming so late in the game trying to create a shared universe, and their actors aren't quite as magnetic as the casting choices that Marvel made. Batman has gone through nearly a half dozen actors, while you look at Iron Man, and you can't really imagine anyone else playing him except Robert Downey Jr. (Gal Godot might be the exception). There's no attachment to the characters anymore in the DC Universe, as we've seen that both Superman and Batman are pretty replaceable and focus on whom they cast closest to Chris Reeve or Christian Bale.

11. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Looks like Captain Marvel trailer is dropping tomorrow on Good Morning America. Stoked.

12. Klubmasta Will

^ How'd the trailer look? I am going to avoid all trailers, as I now do for any movie that I'm interested in. Please no spoilers, although I think it's well known that the Kree and Skrull are in the movie, so that fact alone would not be a spoiler.

13. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Looks good. Different look i think than recent Avengers. She looks Powerful.

14. Klubmasta Will

The early VENOM reviews are horrible, which seems right as the trailers have been underwhelming.
    https://ca.ign.com/articles/2018/10/03/venom-review

Hopefully, this is another step toward Sony giving/selling the Spider-man movie rights back to Marvel Studios. Sony's other Spidey spinoff flicks, such as Morbius and Silver & Black (both also seemingly bad ideas), will hopefully now go away.

praktik likes this.
  15. The best comparison I've heard was Venom is on par with the very first Punisher movie with Dolph; zero imagination when it comes on what to do with the character other than wipe out armies of faceless henchmen, with a boss battle at the end.

Rental for me.

praktik likes this.
  16. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

yeah i have little to no interest in Venom in the theatres. right now I'm most looking forward to Into the Spiderverse.

17. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

18. Klubmasta Will

^ I just heard this as well. This deserves it's own thread.

19. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

20. Marvel's pulling back everything they can now. Daredevil just got cancelled on Netflix.

21. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

Saw the new "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" animated movie and really enjoyed. Definitely stay for the post-credits scene because this one is really worth it. :cool:

Waiting for Cineplex to sell advance tickets for "Aquaman", but nothing yet even though pre-sales went on sale in the States over 2 weeks ago. Glad its kicking ass in China's box office right now.

It Took Aquaman Just Three Days To Top Wonder Woman's Entire Box Office Run In China

22. Klubmasta Will

We picked up Captain Marvel tickets for Scotiabank IMAX on Thurs, March 7, which is opening night. We just by chance logged on to cineplex.com the same day the tickets went on sale.

If anyone knows of a way to get advanced warning by email/text of movie tickets going on sale, please let me know. Cineplex has a weekly newsletter, but this does not help.