going to see DR. STRANGE at the scotiabank imax tonight! i was skeptical that this would make a good film, but the reviews are excellent (91% on rotten tomatoes) so it looks like marvel's win streak will continue.
So Infinity Wars has just started shooting. This should be the most Epic Superhero movie ever. The story is incredible and the fact that so many movies in the past and the next year lead up to it really create a unique scenario that hopefully will be incredible. If you are aware of the original story though a lot will have to be changed. Especially to enable the Avengers as they are in the MCU to be major parts of it. There are a few key elements from the story I hope they keep. here is my speculation on characters/storylines:
1. Adam Warlock - Other than Thanos Adam Warlock is the most important character in the story. I don't see how they can leave him out and I'm hoping that was actually his cocoon in The Collector's collection and that is confirmation he will appear. I'm thinking in at least one of the movies leading up to "Part 1" at least reveals his existence and that the first movies two major arcs are Thanos collecting the stones and Adam Warlock fully coming into the universe. It could be that his evil side the Magus is revealed early on and is Thanos's agent tasked with collecting the stones and that Adam Warlock appears near the end. I think they should cast Alexander Skarsgard as Adam Warlock/Magus.
2. The Avengers - In the comic the "Earth-Bound heroes" are really just there to be slaughtered with very little effort by Thanos and waste time for Adam Warlock's plan. The Avengers in the MCU get killed most of them extremely quickly. Especially Iron Man. He joins the battle and is almost immediately beheaded not even by Thanos. None of them even Thor and Hulk pose much of a threat to Thanos once he has the Gauntlet. Making them relevant as opponents is going to be the biggest stretch from the comic IMO.
3. The Silver Surfer - Obviously it is extremely unlikely he will be in the movie. And really his action could be easily put on another character. Worth mentioning here though as he is the character who first sees what Thanos is doing and is key to Adam Warlock's plan to beat Thanos.
4. Thanos' finger snap - They better not leave this out. It is the best demonstration of the power he holds with the Gauntlet. He snaps his finger and half the universe is dead/disappears. The comics literally have several pages that list all the heroes that die including a ton of the biggest Marvel stars. I see this happening at the end of the first movie. And they really should be taking out a couple of key Avengers Eddard Stark style.
5. Death - I think from what we've seen so far from Thor: Ragnarok that Hel is the retcon for Death. Especially considering they cast Cate Blanchet in the role. Which is cool. The key is establishing Thanos motivation for power. I say this is maintained.
6. Celestial Entities - This part of the story I think is going to be removed. A few of them have been mentioned in passing but it would be a stretch with all the exposition that is necessary for this story for appropriate screen time to be devoted to this. EGO could be the only exception and possibly The Living Tribunal as they made a point of establishing that Karl Mordo is in position of his staff in Dr Strange.
7. Nebula - I'd put money on her part of this conflict remaining very similar to the comics. Which makes her arc over the next Phase of the MCU to be potentially the coolest.
8. Vision - he dead. and soon. In the comics he does not have the Mind Stone in his head so this is totally different. But for Thanos to get all the stones he has to take it from Vision and I don't see him surviving that encounter.
9. Mephisto - Thanos downfall is in part due to those he trusts particularly Mephisto. I have a feeling Loki will fill Mephisto's role in this.
10. Location of the final battle - I think it will be close to earth rather than somewhere across the universe. This will translate better visually on film and connect better with the audience when the danger is more present.
Ultimately the core of the story is a bad guy who becomes the most powerful entity in the universe who is essentially unbeatable. But he is undone by his ego and an unconscious desire to lose.
Anyways those are my thoughts. I've spent way to much time thinking about this.
All good thoughts. We have to remember that it is first and foremost an Avengers movie, so the main heroes (Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk) have to get the most screen time. The others (Dr. Strange, Spider-Man, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Falcon, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Ant Man, Wasp, Black Panther, War Machine, Guardians of the Galaxy) will all be juggled in as well. They can't use Silver Surfer or Galactus, as the movie rights to those characters still belong to Fox as they are most closely associated with the Fantastic Four.
I wonder whether Adam Warlock will be included in this and, if so, in what capacity. There are already too many characters. They may also be introducing Captain Marvel, so perhaps she will play one of the critical roles.
There will *definitely* be a scene in which Cap lifts Thor's hammer after Thor has fallen.
I am perhaps most looking forward to seeing Tony Stark meet Dr. Stephen Strange for the first time.
The next MCU movies (Guardians 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther) will likely shed more light on potential storyline.
100% can't wait for the goatee quips when Stark and Strange meet.
I forgot about mentioning Captain Marvel. Thanks for bringing her up. It could be that she takes on Adam Warlock's role in the story. I have feels about Adam Warlock so i really want them to keep him as part of the story. The idea that he is the only being in the universe that is immune to some of the powers of the Infinity Stones is so important. I feel that if they don't bring a character in whose mind can't be read by the mind stone and that has a strong connection to the Soul Stone then they will have to reduce the power of those stones in order for the story to work. This would be a major letdown as I want to see on screen this bad guy who is seemingly completely unstoppable and holds essentially all the power in the universe absolutely.
For me the biggest elements I'd like to see kept from the Comics is Adam Warlock and the Finger Snap. I can see ways around Adam that wouldn't be heartbreaking and that would work but if they left out killing half the universe there would be a big loss to the story.
From Entertainment Weekly: "Marvel's Iron Fist isn't just the wimpiest punch ever thrown by the world's mightiest superhero factory. The new Netflix binge swings and misses so bad that it spins itself around and slaps itself silly with a weirdly flaccid hand."
I will still watch this cuz, y'know, comic books and stuff.
Joss Whedon may have been Marvel's biggest creative powerhouse, possibly next to Brian Michael Bendis, and certainly it's biggest movie-maker. This would be like DC stealing the Russo Brothers or Jon Favreau. I remember comic fans used to lose it when a high profile Marvel or DC writer or artist switched teams. As much as you hated to see your favourite team lose one of its superstars, you could not help but be excited at the prospect of what that superstar might accomplish on the other side, with a whole new universe and set of characters.
Joss Whedon, with his history creating incredible female heroines (and his sadly defunct Woman Woman project), is a very intriguing choice to bring Batgirl to the screen.