• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

SUPERHERO MOVIE UPDATES

One thing that kind of worries me about the X-Men movie is how they are starting to suffer the same problem that the Star Trek films are going through - so many characters and not enough time to develop them all and give them effective screen time. I can't help but get the feeling that some characters are going to just plain fall off the radar and act almost as peripheral extras rather than have an actual role in the next film. Look at Cyclops. He went from a major character to delivering less than half a page of dialogue.

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
One thing that kind of worries me about the X-Men movie is how they are starting to suffer the same problem that the Star Trek films are going through - so many characters and not enough time to develop them all and give them effective screen time. I can't help but get the feeling that some characters are going to just plain fall off the radar and act almost as peripheral extras rather than have an actual role in the next film. Look at Cyclops. He went from a major character to delivering less than half a page of dialogue.
Cyclops is a bed wetter...

Him and Will Wheaton probably have the same agent!
LOL

:D :D :D

Originally posted by SENSEi
Is this on DVD?
It's a prequel?

So it's about Zor crashing the SDF-1 on Earth?

Where can I gets it?
No, I found it on bit torrent. :)

It's about the ship having crashed on earth, with the earth still at war, and the Veritechs being in the prototype stage. Protoculture hasn't been harnessed, and Roy Folker is involved in the battle for an island that is resistant to modern civilisation. The first episode is a pretty amazing buildup to an astonishing veritech battle in the second episode. No sign of Zor, and there's only two episodes, with a third that should be available by around xmas.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
If you can make a hit out of Toby maguire as spider man and that horrid Kristen Dunst as MaryJane then you can easly make dozens of great x-men movies.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
One thing that kind of worries me about the X-Men movie is how they are starting to suffer the same problem that the Star Trek films are going through - so many characters and not enough time to develop them all and give them effective screen time.
good point. just like trekkers wanted picard and data, the majority of mainstream x-fans just want wolverine, xavier and rogue.

if the next movie focuses on the dark phoenix, then cyclops should play a bigger role. a good fight between cyclops and wolverine (like in the recent 'ultimate x-men' storyline in which wolverine actually tried to kill cyclops and cyclops survived, returned to the team and beat wolverine senseless) might help to increase the character's popularity.

so many of the x-men's best storylines revolve around scott summers and his bloodline. they HAVE to make him a major character in the movies.

echootje

TRIBE Member
Robotech could easily make 3 really great movies with the whole storyline from the SDF-1 to the Invid. It's been written ad 16 books! LOL

It's truly a good story and some huge character progression.

Rob

Originally posted by Klubmasta Will
so many of the x-men's best storylines revolve around scott summers and his bloodline. they HAVE to make him a major character in the movies.
There's an unconfirmed rumour that the Summers' bloodline might get a spin off film franchise of its own, IF audiences respond positively and pay attention to the Dark Phoenix story and the players involved.

But then again, I don't think that James Marsden has lead written all over him, and I don't think he could carry a film franchise of his own, really.

Last edited:

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
No, I found it on bit torrent. :)

It's about the ship having crashed on earth, with the earth still at war, and the Veritechs being in the prototype stage. Protoculture hasn't been harnessed, and Roy Folker is involved in the battle for an island that is resistant to modern civilisation. The first episode is a pretty amazing buildup to an astonishing veritech battle in the second episode. No sign of Zor, and there's only two episodes, with a third that should be available by around xmas.
In the twelve book novelisation of Macross this was the prologue of the first book. I'm glad they decided to animate it because it's a good story - The birth of Macross Island.

Will, Robotech is a great story. Extremely well written. On top of being epic battles and the fight to save earth it follows the story of a young fighter pilot, a tactical officer, and a pop-singer/teen idol - all of them aboard a space ship that has a city inside.

The entire Robotech saga spans 24 books - and they're good. I enjoyed them very much in my teen geekdom. Robotech was probably the first thing I went geek for.

Besides D&D

lok

TRIBE Member
And we all know where the D&D movie franchise wound up :)

Why they dont do the Drizz't saga totally baffles me. It would be an AWESOME trilogy

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Re: Watchmen. I have a Watchmen TPB to read when I'm done the Preacher I'm reading now. I'm very excited. Then after that I have The Invisibles. I'm enjoying comics.

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
D&D The Movie - I died a little that day. So bad. I hear another is in the mix. Terrible.

Drizzt has potential. Lots of black make-up though.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Fuck all the Batman movies.

They should make Arkham Asylum a feature length film with Crispin Glover as the Joker.

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
Fuck all the Batman movies.

They should make Arkham Asylum a feature length film with Crispin Glover as the Joker.
SOMEBODY SEND THIS MAN TO HOLLYWOOD!!!!

Crispen G as a young joker about town is the best casting call ever!

I owe you a beer!

:)

lok

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Evil Dynovac
D&D The Movie - I died a little that day. So bad. I hear another is in the mix. Terrible.

Drizzt has potential. Lots of black make-up though.
Who gives a shit. people thought Legolas was cool? haha as if. I would love to see Menzoberrezan brough to life. And a dual scimitar wielding dark elf ranger as he struggles to leave his dark homeland in the pursuit of something greater? *drool*

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Evil Dynovac
Will, Robotech is a great story.
thanks! so, there are books, comics and DVD cartoon movies? anything else? which DVDs can i rent to get a flavour?

Originally posted by Lysistrata
Re: Watchmen. I have a Watchmen TPB to read when I'm done the Preacher I'm reading now. I'm very excited. Then after that I have The Invisibles. I'm enjoying comics.
you would also probably enjoy 'THE PUNISHER' these days, as it's written by garth ennis and the character is very similar to the preacher. i finished the first TPB and it's absolutely hilarious stuff so far. i am also hearing good things about garth ennis's new mini series 'THOR: VIKINGS'. it is interesting to see ennis's twisted imagination re-invent classic characters.

ps. boss hog - good call on crispin glover as the joker.

lok

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lysistrata
I love you Stephen. You're gay and a geek, my two favourite traits in men.
gay, geek and italian... that could possibly be a fate worse than death.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Good call, except that Joker became Joker late in his life, just as Harvey Dent became Two-face.

Actually... all of the super-villians in Batman, were friends or people that Bruce Wayne knew. Pretty scary if you think about it?

That aside.

WHAT ABOUT TRANSFORMERS!?!?!?!?

I'll tell you what about them....

Hasbro Enters into Agreement with Movie Producers Tom DeSanto and Don Murphy for Full Length, Live Action Transformers Movie

PAWTUCKET, R.I.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 11, 2003--Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS) announced today that it entered into an agreement with the highly successful producers Tom DeSanto (X-Men and X2: X-Men United) and Don Murphy (currently producing 20th Century Fox's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) for a full length, live action movie based on Hasbro's enormously popular TRANSFORMERS brand.

"TRANSFORMERS enjoys an amazing fan base worldwide, and we believe that we can create an incredibly fast-paced, exciting movie that will be appealing to anyone who loves action films," said Don Murphy.
"TRANSFORMERS is one of those rare properties that has been embraced by a generation around the world. Like X-Men, TRANSFORMERS offers an amazing mythology with all the elements to create a successful ongoing franchise, iconic characters, global themes, and a world that has never been seen before on screen," said Tom DeSanto.
"The property has been successful in every arena it has played in throughout the world - toys, comic books, television - and we now believe it's time to take TRANSFORMERS to the next level, and into a live action event movie," continued DeSanto.
"We're thrilled to have entered into an agreement with the very talented and accomplished Don Murphy and Tom DeSanto," said Brian Goldner, President of Hasbro's U.S. toys group. "TRANSFORMERS is a natural for the big screen, and both Tom and Don have the track record and skill to bring to life a TRANSFORMERS movie that will be action-packed and flawlessly executed."
Hasbro's focus on the TRANSFORMERS brand is consistent with the Company's strategy of driving and extending its core brands through innovative toys and games as well as other forms of entertainment. TRANSFORMERS is one of the most popular boys toy brands, with sales up 64% in 2002 vs. 2001. First introduced in the U.S. market in 1984 as a toy line, the success of TRANSFORMERS continues to grow in a wide-range of entertainment categories. The hit television show TRANSFORMERS ARMADA airs on Cartoon Network seven times a week, with more than 12 million viewers. The show also airs in Europe and Australia. TRANSFORMERS ARMADA comic books, published by Dreamwave are also highly successful, with some of the most popular titles in the industry. The comic books are also translated and distributed in many markets around the world. There will be new TRANSFORMERS television programming and comic books launching in 2004.
"The Hasbro Properties Group (HPG) continues to deliver on its mission of extending Hasbro's rich portfolio of brands beyond toys and games and into multiple forms of entertainment," said Jane Ritson-Parsons, HPG President. "Our alignment with Tom DeSanto and Don Murphy demonstrates the power of our TRANSFORMERS brand and our determination to leverage our properties aggressively and creatively."

The Hasbro Properties Group develops and extends Hasbro's core brands, such as G.I. JOE, TRANSFORMERS, MY LITTLE PONY, MONOPOLY and CANDY LAND, into a wide variety of entertainment and consumer categories. Hasbro Consumer Products Worldwide is the licensing and promotions arm of the Hasbro Properties Group.

The Hasbro toy company has teamed with the production company Angry Films to create a live-action version of the popular cartoon series that ran from 1984 to 1987, about a group of alien robots who disguise themselves on Earth as common vehicles.

"The basic thing is that if you've been going to the comic-book festivals and seeing all that stuff, the '80s kind of came back last year in a huge way," Angry Films producer Don Murphy said.

Based on original lineup
The story of "The Transformers" centers on a war between two mechanized armies -- the heroic Autobots, led by the red tractor-trailer Optimus Prime, and the evil Decepticons, ruled by the gigantic silver gun Megatron. Seeking new sources of energy, both factions crash-land on Earth.

Although the "Transformers" toys have changed over the years -- from animal shapes to the current series of futuristic machines -- Murphy said the movie would be based on the original lineup.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Punisher--Isn't that the comic mentioned by the boy in the beginning of the season Premiere of Angel? And the other boy said he wasn't allowed to read it cause it was too violent, and he was the one whose daddy was big and bad?

I'm up for 'too violent'. I could take a break from chicken and dead-fish fucking though!

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Joker doesn't have to be played by an old guy though... a good actor can act old (Gary Oldman - Dracula).

As far as all the batman movies go, anything with Aronofsky's name on it has my vote.