• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

supergeek help needed - LCD panel repair

gasper

TRIBE Member
I got myself into a bit of a mess...

I'm aiming to replace the lcd on an older compaq laptop. I bought a replacement screen, but the ribbon connectors don't match. Anyone know laptop LCDs well?

The new screen model number I have the LG electronics LP133X7 (2PIB) and the old broken one I'm attempting to replace was the LP133X7 (C2CC). The old ribbon is labelled DDOHS1LC115 and unfortunately it doesn't fit into the new LCD I bought (slightly smaller pin). Can I buy a ribbon that will be compatible?

Also, I know that a micro-soldering job is possible to modify the connection. Anyone know where in the 416 area I can get this done? Any other solutions?

Any help would be appreciated!

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
The cables on most compaq laptop LCDs wont detach from the panel itself, so you're out of luck as far as changing the cable goes. When you bought the replacement panel you should have gone by the part number on the old one. For compaq its always XXXXXX-001. If you did what I think you did you've either ordered a TFT panel for a Non-TFT model or Vice-versa. If you got a TFT for a non TFT unit then you might want to invest the time into getting the soldering done. If you bought a non-tft screen for a unit that had a tft screen then fuck it. The quality and brightness difference would be awful.

Any chance you can return the new panel to where you bought it from?

gasper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr. Grinch
The cables on most compaq laptop LCDs wont detach from the panel itself, so you're out of luck as far as changing the cable goes. When you bought the replacement panel you should have gone by the part number on the old one. For compaq its always XXXXXX-001. If you did what I think you did you've either ordered a TFT panel for a Non-TFT model or Vice-versa. If you got a TFT for a non TFT unit then you might want to invest the time into getting the soldering done. If you bought a non-tft screen for a unit that had a tft screen then fuck it. The quality and brightness difference would be awful.

Any chance you can return the new panel to where you bought it from?
The LCDS are both TFT, with the same cable, but different ribbon cables. I might just take the 20% restocking fee hit for the new LCD and go out and buy a new laptop!

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Shrink yourself down to 100 micrometres, have a peak inside everything, then unshrink and use the knowledge you have gained for good, not evil.

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by gasper
The LCDS are both TFT, with the same cable, but different ribbon cables. I might just take the 20% restocking fee hit for the new LCD and go out and buy a new laptop!
Did you buy it from CPQ directly or a third party place?
You can claim they shipped you the wrong product and give them the right part number.

Unless it's a newer notebook (Like an Armada M700 or up) it usually isn't worth fixing.

If it's a presario, file it in the round bin, and buy yourself an Evo.