• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Sunglasses

Jennika

TRIBE Member
Hello ladies,

so my favorite Jackie-O shades broke and I'm in need of a good new pair. what styles are everyone going with this summer. aviators? those white ray ban's? need some ideas here.

also, are higher end brands really worth it in terms of quality and protection for your eyes/skin? because it seems you can find the same style for $10 as for $200, but if the glass quality and UBS/UVB etc. protection is worth it I'm totally willing to spend the extra money.

:cool:

penelope

TRIBE Member
Katie has either destroyed or lost at three pair of sunglasses this summer so I'm going with the cheap ones for now. I'm a lot less upset when she destroys a $10-$20 pair than I would be if I had paid $200 for them. As for the difference in quality, I'm really not sure!

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
LeoGirl said:
my only advice:

cheap sunglasses are less likely to get broken or lost than expensive ones ;)
I used to firmly believe that until I bought my GUCCI glasses from Romania - and then I realized how the quality is FAR FAR better, and the lenses are better, they feel more comfortable and I am more likely to take care of them. I spent a shit load of money on them, but I LOVE them.

:)

kick

TRIBE Member
Good quality sunglasses are important! Cheap ones can have warped lenses and that can mess up your vision. By good quality I mean $80-$150, I think anything more than that is just paying for the brand.

The last two pairs I had were SPY and I loved them. I lost both. Now I have cheap ones and they hurt my head :(

These are the last ones I lost:

m0ff

TRIBE Member
I too have a pair of Spy's. They're the Crystal line, from Spring 2006. They are the most awesome things ever. The frame is uber durable, but so light sometimes I forget I have them on! I think I paid like $75, however, I believe they were on sale, so they're regular $100 or something.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I am saving my coin for a pair of prada shades one day but until then, I am a fan of the cheap glasses, the bigger the better:

I can't wear aviators (they just always make my head misshaped looking) - but they are definitely the style this summer. There are some decent variations on the aviator shape - I bought this pair at trove on Bathurst south of Bloor. They are more of a wrap but still have the wire frame.

I'm done photowhoring now. :eek:

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
I think that if the sunglasses have the proper sun protection rather then just tinted lenses you can go for the cheaper.

I love my $10 sunglasses, and this year the bf got new glasses (3 for 1 deals) and I got a pair of Ray Bans somewhat representing aviators.

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
Resurrecting this long-buried thread...

My wife is on the hunt for sunglasses, which she's going to have fitted with prescription lenses. So far, the frames she's found are $250 and up - combined with the lenses, that's going to tally over 5 bills, which is a bit more than we'd budgeted for.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where she can go to get decent frames for under $200? She's checked Sunglasses Hut and Hakim so far.

keline

TRIBE Member
Buy designer frames on eBay for half the price of retail, then send them in to one of those online lense places.

This will take a few weeks to accomplish, but if you're not in a rush, that's the cheapest way!

Also I've heard Costco has inexpensive designer eyewear.

Also Cleary Contacts.. you can even get a free pair. They have a physical store downtown where you can try everything on.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
I used to firmly believe that until I bought my GUCCI glasses from Romania - and then I realized how the quality is FAR FAR better, and the lenses are better, they feel more comfortable and I am more likely to take care of them. I spent a shit load of money on them, but I LOVE them.]
This is an old post but I agree.

I used to buy crappy ones because I though I was hard on them. It turns they broke because they are crappy quality. I finally bought a high end pair because every time I found a crappy pair I liked, they would break and I'd have a hard time hunting around for a new crappypair I liked. Lo and behold, the durability is way better, and I am very careful about taking care of them/not losing them.

Last edited: