• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Suicide Jumper at Yonge and King

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
When I dropped my wife off at work at 9am this morning, she heard a loud bang and turned around to see that a man's body had landed about 10 feet behind her.

She called my cell right after I dropped her off and she was hysterical/crying. I thought at first that she had been in an accident and my heart was in my throat. It took about 20 seconds for her to calm down enough to communicate that she was okay.

I think media outlets have an unwritten rule about not reporting suicides, but it's being discussed elsewhere. https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/comments/43op0p/yonge_st_king_shut_down_emergency_services_on/

When I went for lunch, I saw the area was still blocked off.

Now that my wife is calmer, she said when she turned after hearing the bang (like a gunshot), the man's hat was still high in the air, floating down, his head had exploded on impact and his arm had separated from his body.

The fact that the jumper did not hit a pedestrian or car on Yonge Street at 9am is a minor miracle. It is a terrifying thought to realize that my wife and unborn child were 10 feet away from being killed this morning.

While I have utmost sympathy for the mentally unhinged and suicidal, I cannot help but think f*ck that piece of sh*t for almost killing my family.

Life is unpredictable. I can't wait to go home and hug my wife and daughter.

Stop Bill C-10

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Yep lots of people wait for the King Eastbound right there. Guaranteed to get that last bit of selfish attention.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
From the above reddit thread

I know what happened. Spoke to police after: a white man in 35s-40s jumped from 67 Yonge. He jumped from the rooftop.
The police told me that man had a history of attempted suicides; he had tried many rooftops in the area but 67 Yonge was the only one that he could access.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Aside: Congrats on the impending addition!

Thanks, dude. Due March 15. :)

As for the counselling/therapy, we discussed it at length yesterday and she is considering it. She thinks it was less traumatic than it would have been had she actually seen the impact, which I suppose makes sense, but at the same time she was hysterical when it happened and then visibly shaken the rest of the day. My work benefits should fully cover the costs, I think, so it's not a money issue. The main issue is that she's ridiculously busy at work for the rest of February, after which she goes on maternity leave for a year.

I'm trying to convince her that her mental well-being is much more important than finishing a task at work that she could pass on to someone else. It's an ongoing discussion.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
I was in shock. Our office is on the 2nd floor and directly overlooked the scene. Colleagues here heard the impact.

I spent a good amount of time last night talking through the thoughts & feelings in a Group with a couple of facilitators. Took a while, but it paid off. Slept like a log afterwards.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Thanks, dude. Due March 15. :)

As for the counselling/therapy, we discussed it at length yesterday and she is considering it. She thinks it was less traumatic than it would have been had she actually seen the impact, which I suppose makes sense, but at the same time she was hysterical when it happened and then visibly shaken the rest of the day. My work benefits should fully cover the costs, I think, so it's not a money issue. The main issue is that she's ridiculously busy at work for the rest of February, after which she goes on maternity leave for a year.

I'm trying to convince her that her mental well-being is much more important than finishing a task at work that she could pass on to someone else. It's an ongoing discussion.

She could go on her lunch for an hour and speak to a social worker. There's always time to ensure you're in the right mindset. It's like exercise, we often make excuses why we cannot go. We often think we can handle something until someone else points out the affect it's having, even if it's one appointment it may help her rationalize her feelings and develop coping mechanisms should the thought of the event pops into her mind.

I've been in her position when I was much younger and didn't have EAP or anything available to help cope, it took a while to realize it affected me and to come to terms with what happened. She also should avoid the added stress since she's Pregnant, Congrats BTW

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
The main issue is that she's ridiculously busy at work for the rest of February, after which she goes on maternity leave for a year.

If either of you have access to EAP counseling they may be able to offer a phone session or two, which may work better if your wife is busy before her parental leave. Glad she is ok, and congratulations.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Yep lots of people wait for the King Eastbound right there. Guaranteed to get that last bit of selfish attention.

I see this kind of thing come up a lot when a suicide happens. People who kill themselves are not being selfish - they are very ill, in a tremendous amount of pain, and can't grasp the implications or consequences of their decision. It's awful that the people in the area were put in danger and traumatized and that's not up for debate.