• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

subwoofah!!!

dj.nick.c

TRIBE Member
alright, sold my old yorkville sub for just as much as i bought it for, i'm at even ground here, time for an upgrade!

I need something for home use(mainly producing/dj'ing/music) but something thats going to pack enough punch for when no one is home and it's time to scare the neighbors.

Now that I know more about bass and what I want, it's time to get something thats going to last and provide those house shaking sub frequencies with clarity.

I'm currently looking at the Cerwin Vega XLS(or CLS) 15S:

Cerwin-Vega - The LOUD Speaker Company

may also go with the 12" powered sub as it's powered at 400 watts. but the thought of the 15" just sounds meatier. i have yet to hear them in store.

any recommendations people?

Mrs. Pink

TRIBE Member
alright, sold my old yorkville sub for just as much as i bought it for, i'm at even ground here, time for an upgrade!

I need something for home use(mainly producing/dj'ing/music) but something thats going to pack enough punch for when no one is home and it's time to scare the neighbors.

Now that I know more about bass and what I want, it's time to get something thats going to last and provide those house shaking sub frequencies with clarity.

I'm currently looking at the Cerwin Vega XLS(or CLS) 15S:

Cerwin-Vega - The LOUD Speaker Company

may also go with the 12" powered sub as it's powered at 400 watts. but the thought of the 15" just sounds meatier. i have yet to hear them in store.

any recommendations people?
From my experience, 15's can lose some of the definition in the sub, 12's can hold the tone a bit better, especially for home use. If you were using them in a club atmosphere i might suggest a 15, but for home use....12 all the way.

Thrill_House

TRIBE Promoter
From my experience, 15's can lose some of the definition in the sub, 12's can hold the tone a bit better, especially for home use. If you were using them in a club atmosphere i might suggest a 15, but for home use....12 all the way.
Its true that 12's tend to be a bit snappier in their response but 15's and other large format subs tend to have better low frequency extension.

DJAlchemy

TRIBE Promoter
I've always licked the sound of the 2x10" subs, smaller speakers can respond to transients much faster then larger ones... Yorkville make some that are pretty good, and you can probably find a used one for cheap. The Mackie subs are really nice as well. edit, just read you got rid of the yorkville.... why not try a studio dub if quality is what you want? Or is it really more POWER!!!