• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

subaru impreza wrx opinions

kuba

TRIBE Member
Does anyone here own a Subaru wrx? Not the current body style but the previous one (smaller lights and all). Anyone got any personal opinions on this car? Any recent troubles? things to expect? Likes/dislikes?

What I know: its a great engine, great handling, not - so - great build quality though (not too concerned about that). How about reliabiltiy? (any impreza owners actually might be able to help out)
this car Im researching is a 2002: is that year fraught with any troubles I should know about?

this is the one:

subaru_impreza_wrx_01-1.jpg

thanks to all the subaru heads

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kuba

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jeremy
Unless its the STI version it's not worth your time.

jeremy -rally racer- jive

can I afford an sti? can YOU? am I asking about an STI? do you know that the STi isnt even made in 2002?

thanks for your input. GTA4 is calling, but oh! its not out yet. Til then keep practicing infront of your wega.

<ps do you even have a licence? :p>

youre about as close to being a rally racer as I am on the Canadian mens hockey team.

And Im from LIBYA.

kuba

TRIBE Member
yah mon. last year they had the m5s team spec on sale for 2200- but slightly used. maybe theyll have something about the same this year, but im not willing to buy anything til I buy / if I buy this ride.

thanks.

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by qtip
can I afford an sti? can YOU? am I asking about an STI? do you know that the STi isnt even made in 2002?

thanks for your input. GTA4 is calling, but oh! its not out yet. Til then keep practicing infront of your wega.

<ps do you even have a licence? :p>

youre about as close to being a rally racer as I am on the Canadian mens hockey team.

And Im from LIBYA.
yes I have a license ya douchebag. You and I both know that the WRX is my favourite car hands down. But I'm in the mindframe that if you are going to go there, you might as well go all out and get the car that you are looking for. If you want a rally car, get the real rally car. shit they are both expensive there is no doubt. But the STI is a hell of a deal for what you are getting.

Hey Jake, GTA4 is out next month.

Take a look at the new Audi R6. It's a pretty dope sports sedan with some rally technology on it.

jeremy -computer simulation rally racer- jive

CLUSTER

TRIBE Member
A friend of mine who's a car fanatic took this for a test drive, had nothing to say but good things about it. Still talks about it to this day...

Take it for a test drive, i'm guessing you'll be sold.

Zigg'

HybridTheory

TRIBE Member
a new sti is damn expensive........ around $50,000

you can get a decent 02 for roughly $25-30,

unless you plan on entering wrc, a 02 wrx will do just fine

and if you feel like upgrading later on down the road.... you can get a wrx up to sti standards alot cheaper then the $20,000 price difference....

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
yah mon. last year they had the m5s team spec on sale for 2200- but slightly used. maybe theyll have something about the same this year, but im not willing to buy anything til I buy / if I buy this ride.

thanks.

Well... I'll be going. If i see it, I'll drool for you.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I test drove an '02 WRX wagon when it was the current model with a 5spd manual.

Its a decent car, handles really well, brakes really well and it accelerates decently although you've kinda gotta rev it up a bit to get the power out of it.

Subes are pretty reliable, and safe too.

I wouldn't say the build quality is bad... they just didn't use the most expensive and texturally pleasing materials on the interior. Well built though. The seats are comfortable and supportive.

Learn more here:

http://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by HybridTheory
...if you feel like upgrading later on down the road.... you can get a wrx up to sti standards alot cheaper then the $20,000 price difference....

I wouldn't count on it. Those flashy adds you see for upgrades are only part of the deal. To do it properly you're going to need to do A LOT of work in addition to simply bolting on a bigger turbo. You'll need brakes, suspension, exhaust, engine managment, and so on and so on. Ask anyone who has gotten into it and they'll tell you their stories

Consider this: If the company who builds and designs them can't do it any better- then why could somebody who wouldn't even have access to the math data for the car do it cheaper- and on a lower scale of production to boot.

For your 50G's you're getting a solid, reliable car with a FULL factory warranty. Those aftermarket upgrades void your warranty immediately and you've got to know what you're doing to get the performance out of them.

Just because something has the "300hp" does not make it equal.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by I_bRAD
Those aftermarket upgrades void your warranty immediately and you've got to know what you're doing to get the performance out of them.
Just because something has the "300hp" does not make it equal.

That hasn't stopped any Honduh owners yet.
LOL

kuba

TRIBE Member
jeremy give me a break. your thinking is retarded.

So when you go to mcdonals, you turn around and decide to go to ruth chris' instead cuz its going all out? what if you can only afford a big mac.

yeah if I coud I would go for the STi in a heartbeat but I cant. The WRX is the closest thing I can afford, and its a steal of a deal.

R6? Fuck that, if youre gonna get an R6 why not go for the 911??

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by HybridTheory
a new sti is damn expensive........ around $50,000

you can get a decent 02 for roughly $25-30,

unless you plan on entering wrc, a 02 wrx will do just fine

and if you feel like upgrading later on down the road.... you can get a wrx up to sti standards alot cheaper then the $20,000 price difference....

^^^
Winnar!

There's a few guys with Scubies here in Burlington (one in specific which was on the cover of Sport Compact) that will tear a STI a new hole, and they've put a lot less money into it than the cost of the STI.

I'm considering the exact same thing once the lease is up on my Spec-V, (buying an 02-03 WRX) or a PT Cruiser Convertible GT + Stage 3 Mopar kit.

Dirt Dawg

TRIBE Member
The one thing that I have heard about from peeps is that there gear box making a "pop" sound followed by a blown gear box. Sube being hard on em stating that is was abused even it if wasn't, and not wanting to pay for the new trans.

Listen for a "whurrr" sound under decel that comes from the trans when you test drive. It will louder than what would be normal for a man trans car. These gear boxes tend to be loud when they get close to eating themselves.

But besides that it's a hot whip (the lights on the 02 make me sick though, but you can't see em when you behind the wheel)

Search WRX problems on google and see for yerself though.

Peace,

Nick

HybridTheory

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr. Grinch
^^^
Winnar!

There's a few guys with Scubies here in Burlington (one in specific which was on the cover of Sport Compact) that will tear a STI a new hole, and they've put a lot less money into it than the cost of the STI.

I'm considering the exact same thing once the lease is up on my Spec-V, (buying an 02-03 WRX) or a PT Cruiser Convertible GT + Stage 3 Mopar kit.

nicest wrx i've seen is the silver one.... belongs to the owner of underworld...... i think??

i wanted to get a srt-4...... those things are stupid fast..... add on the warranty approved stage 1-3 ( when available ) turbo upgrades and :eek:

sti's are nice cars..... but a little bit over-rated...... like i said before, you can bring a wrx up to sti specs for 10 g's tops and thats if you dont have any hookups and pay dealership parts prices ;)

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Does anyone here own a Subaru wrx? Not the current body style but the previous one (smaller lights and all). Anyone got any personal opinions on this car? Any recent troubles? things to expect? Likes/dislikes?

What I know: its a great engine, great handling, not - so - great build quality though (not too concerned about that). How about reliabiltiy? (any impreza owners actually might be able to help out)
this car Im researching is a 2002: is that year fraught with any troubles I should know about?

this is the one:

subaru_impreza_wrx_01-1.jpg

thanks to all the subaru heads

Chiclet owns one. PM her.

If I'm not mistaken, she owns that one in the pic too. Same colour and everything.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr. Grinch
^^^
Winnar!

One race does not make it better.

I'm assuming this car is going to be a daily driver that can't be sidelined for a week while problems are figured out. Probably not gonna show up on a flatbed for a SCC shoot.

See how fast it is when he runs it too lean, or fries his clutch.

I'm tellin ya, no matter what you think YOU CAN'T DO IT CHEAPER THAN THE FACTORY!

Unless you really know what you're doing, and you've got lots of time and money to throw at your car then the factory way is always the best option.

I've got 8 years of Automotive design experience- and twice as much enthusiast experience to back that up.