1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

.SUB + .IDX files with VLC player?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by echootje, Sep 20, 2004.

1. echootje

echootje TRIBE Member

Has anybody had any difficulty with subtitle files and VLC player? I'm trying to run it and the process in the program is simple enough to select both the AVI and the IDX file but no luck.

FYI It's Ghost in the Shell 2 I'm trying to see.

Rob

2. lmac

lmac TRIBE Member

cool, ghost in the shell2 looks hype, im actually setting up my laptop to watch it now, yeah it's got sub's but i dont care, movie looks hype...

3. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

yeah, VLC doesn't allow .sub or .idx files, I tried to find a conversion for them without any luck.

if you find one, let me know, I gots a couple movies with .subs that needs a-watchin'

4. echootje

echootje TRIBE Member

But it's a VoSub that can be opened in the open-file dialog!?

I even tried googling!

Rob

5. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

I looked it up:

9. Support for files with subtitles.
    - VLC will autodected subtitle files when they are in the same directory as your movie and contain the movie name.
    - DVD and autodectected subtitles can be enabled trough the Controls->Subtitles menu-item.
    - Only MicroDVD, SubRIP, SSA1-4. SAMI and vplayer subtitle files are supported at the moment. (so not VobSub [.idx AND .sub file])
    - You cannot change anything about DVD subtitles.
    - You can add any subtitle files to a video file via the Open.. dialog.
    - A text-encoding is automatically chosen, but for some people this can be incorrect. You can change it in Preferences -> Modules -> decoder -> subsdec
    - Text subtitles are by default centered. If you want them to be aligned left or right you can change this in Preferences -> Modules -> decoder -> subsdec
    - For Arabic, Hebrew and Japanese etc, you need to select a font compatible with these languages. You can change the default font in Preferences -> Modules -> text-renderer -> freetype
    - You can change the fontsize in Preferences -> Modules -> text-renderer -> freetype
    - You cannot change the font color or the thickness of the outlines.

6. echootje

echootje TRIBE Member

Awww frick :( , thanks man.

Rob

7. deep

deep TRIBE Member

try checking around in your options to see if you can find something that will display subtitles. they're probably just kept from displaying by default, since it doesn't make sense for vlc to load them automatically but be able to display them. if not, media player classic will do the job.

8. echootje

echootje TRIBE Member

Like windows media player??

I'm certian VLC doesn't, i've loaded it up properly with the avi file and no dice.

Rob

9. deep

deep TRIBE Member

No, Media Player Classic is an open source alternative to WMP. It's what I use for video playback and generally one of the most oft recommended players.

Media Player Classic + defilerpak codec pack = nothing else needed.

10. echootje

echootje TRIBE Member

Awesome! Searching now, thanks deep!

:)

Rob

11. deep

deep TRIBE Member