• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Stylish, durable quality shoes

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
I seem to go through a pair of running shoes every four months. The Vans that I bought at the beginning of the summer are cracked. Both the outer heel and the inner heel are worn.

Meanwhile, my Doc Martin boots are still going on strong. Unfortunately, they're rather clunky and not quite my style. The boots were hand-me-downs from my roommate, and look like clown boots.

Any suggestions for hardy, stylish casual shoes?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I seem to go through a pair of running shoes every four months. The Vans that I bought at the beginning of the summer are cracked. Both the outer heel and the inner heel are worn.

Meanwhile, my Doc Martin boots are still going on strong. Unfortunately, they're rather clunky and not quite my style. The boots were hand-me-downs from my roommate, and look like clown boots.

Any suggestions for hardy, stylish casual shoes?
Clarkes desert boots. I used to wear them as a kid and loved them, and bought a brown pair this summer. They are really comfortable, light and strong but not for the snow though! They now come in smooth leather too which look better than the suede ones for longer.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Interesting... Googled some images and the shoes look good. I think I'll try a pair of those next summer instead of a running shoe.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
rockport's, blundstones, red wings...

or if you really want running shoes the salomon GTX editions are insane. I take them portaging every year. best trail shoe out there.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
I seem to go through a pair of running shoes every four months.
It's normal to go through running shoes every 3 to 6 months. Speaking of which.. I need to buy a new pair. I'm hoping the running room will have boxing day sales.. I can't afford $200 for a pair.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
This morning I looked for something that didn't resemble a Winter boot and realized that yes, indeed, my sneakers STILL have holes in them.

Fortunately, they had these Clarks on sale at The Bay - 2 for 40 per cent off!

Thanks for your advice Alex!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I love desert boots. I have a pair from Berlin.
I want a grey pair and that exact brown leather pair. How much was it for the leather one?

Suede bucks and oxfords are also great.

Florsheim is a great place to go for comfy, well made and inexpensive shoes.

octo

TRIBE Member
The key is having multiple pairs of shoes.

i have three pairs of white "athletic shoes"

a pair of adidas shell toes that i wear when i know i'll get afterhours goo on my shoes (which i find are pretty indestructible, although once the actual shell toes get dirty they're hard to keep clean).

a pair of pumas that are general out an about shoes.

and my new pair of dc's that i only wear out if i know i'm going to stay clean, sober and out of the rain. ie only to work when it's not raining.

I also have a pair of these Steve Madden's

INCREDIBLY comfy. the only problem is they tore at the top near the back heel area. bad construction design. but damn these things are comfy and have taken a BEATING for the past 9 months and they STILL look good. and i just realised last week that they have turntables on the sole. a few weeks ago i bought a cream coloured pair that i still haven't busted out yet.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
ahhh the male equivalent of fuck me boots.:cool:

I LOVE my sketchers shape ups. but they are kinda platformy so I dont know if boys would like them, but they do have boy ones. and since they have a nice thick sole they last longer.

Rage

TRIBE Member
I love Steve Maddens and you can sometimes scoop up a pair real cheep at Winners.

Geox are really nice as well.

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
Just buy a ton of shoes to throw in the rotation that way nothing gets warn out fast.
I just grabbed two new pairs this past weekend and now own 31 pairs of shoes.

Favorites.....asics tiger, Jack purcell converse, penguin...all good brands that have a good life span.

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member

in addition to the clarks desert boots, I rather enjoy a pair of clarks wallabees as well. they last forever, are super comfortable, and never go out of style.

get outside has a ton of these, and other high quality leather boots including redwings etc mentioned above.

vans, incidentally, are among the very worst shoes ever made for quality and comfort. I have 3 pairs and they're awful. classic style though. and I got them for 40$ or less in the states.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

slice

TRIBE Member

in addition to the clarks desert boots, I rather enjoy a pair of clarks wallabees as well. they last forever, are super comfortable, and never go out of style.

get outside has a ton of these, and other high quality leather boots including redwings etc mentioned above.

vans, incidentally, are among the very worst shoes ever made for quality and comfort. I have 3 pairs and they're awful. classic style though. and I got them for 40$ or less in the states.
Man, i used to be a fiend for wallabees in highschool. I had like 6 pairs.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Last year I photographed this model and she came to the shoot wearing Sperry Topsiders. I so hated the yuppie scum who wore them in the 80's, but they sure looked comfortable on this girl.

I bought a pair on boxing day and took them to South Africa. They are the only shoes that don't slip on the salt spray slippery boulders that are baked hot in the sun along the coast by my house. For the first time in as long as I can remember, I was able to boulder hop like a maniac!

I brought them back to TO and find I wear them all the time because they are so comfortable.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I'm not an expert on style, but anything I've ever had from Timberland has been super durable and comfortable. Reasonably priced too!